Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 04:05 AM   #31
chribonn
chribonn began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Reader
I find Moon+Reader fantastic for reading PDFs. I use if on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Android tablet. It has a rendering capability that is second to none. I had also tried Aldiko but on the rendering front Aldiko was a non starter.

The only problem I have with Moon+Reader is that I find its customization rather complex.
chribonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #32
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyroza View Post
Too much reflection and not enough brightness.

So, I hope to get an answer, other than 'buy a tablet'. I have one.
Sounds like you mistakenly bought a tablet with a display that has a single mode of operation. You should have gone for a dual-mode display (e.g. pixel qi), to avoid the need for multiple devices.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.Stubby View Post
Sounds like you mistakenly bought a tablet with a display that has a single mode of operation. You should have gone for a dual-mode display (e.g. pixel qi), to avoid the need for multiple devices.
What would you recommend?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #34
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What would you recommend?
short answer: XO-4 Touch (it's hard to acquire though)

long answer:

Look for a tablet or laptop on the used market that has a broken screen, and order a pixel qi diy kit to replace it, then install a FOSS OS on it.

There are some tablets and laptops on the market that include a pixel qi screen from the factory, but they all involve a licensed installation of the worlds poorest quality OS, so I don't recommend them.

Exceptionally, the X0-1 has a dual-mode screen and comes with a decent OS (Fedora) -- these are sold on eBay. The X0-4 Touch is the latest model, but it's not generally available to the general public now that the one-laptop-per-child program has discontinued the "give one get one" option. There are ways though, if you volunteer for an OLPC-based project, or know someone who does.

The XO Tablet may be a good option (Anyone can buy one for ~$130). I would be a bit cautious though, because it has Android. I cannot generally recommend it ATM, because the Android ecosystem has copious binary blobs and Android culture supports a kind of jailed system with apps that cannot be removed. I don't know the particulars of the XO Tablet though.. it could be all FOSS, and rooted from the factory for all I know. Something to investigate..

There is also Yotaphone, but probably too small for PDFs, and I'm almost certain it's a jailed Android that depends on binary blobs.

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 01-03-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #35
Abbyroza
Abbyroza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
After reading all the advice here, which was really appreciated, I ordered the Kindle DX. It arrived today and judging from the first tests everything looks fine. PDF's are easy to read in the 'fit to page'-mode, contrast is high enough, even in bright sunlight. Transferring form my Macbook is a piece of cake, and also the 3G-wireless capability for downloading books is a clear plus.

So this is what I was looking for to replace my iPad for reading in bright lighting circumstances. I'm happy with this reader, unless some disadvantage would come up in the days ahead, with more intensive use… Then I'll let you guys know!
Abbyroza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbyroza View Post
After reading all the advice here, which was really appreciated, I ordered the Kindle DX. It arrived today and judging from the first tests everything looks fine. PDF's are easy to read in the 'fit to page'-mode, contrast is high enough, even in bright sunlight. Transferring form my Macbook is a piece of cake, and also the 3G-wireless capability for downloading books is a clear plus.

So this is what I was looking for to replace my iPad for reading in bright lighting circumstances. I'm happy with this reader, unless some disadvantage would come up in the days ahead, with more intensive use… Then I'll let you guys know!

Yes, this is a good eInk reader for most PDFs. I have a number of PDF files (and an Ipad Air), and I much prefer the Kindle when the lighting situation warrants.

However, I actually like to use this reading mobi files (or converted epubs) during the daytime, when the lighting situation is not an issue.

At night, I couldn't live without my Kindle PW2.

The two complement one another.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #37
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
I'm curious- which is better for PDFs, the Onyx M92, or the Kindle DX? Any takers on that comparison?
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #38
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
I'm curious- which is better for PDFs, the Onyx M92, or the Kindle DX? Any takers on that comparison?
M92 is better because it has a touch screen with stylus pen for handwriting, wi-fi, sd card support and you don't need to install additional software to get all the necessary zooming options like with Kindle DX.

But, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will always be satisfied with its annotation speed (handwriting).

Another solution will be to buy cheaper Kindle DX, install kindlepdfviewer thereon (this is must) and then (when there is need for handwriting) simultaneously use some tablet for handwriting, color pdfs etc.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

M95, successor to M92, is expected in a few months time, featuring faster processor, more memory and Android 2.3.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=21

Last edited by markom; 01-17-2014 at 05:45 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:16 AM   #39
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Thanks for the comparison and the heads up for the M95. Strange that it's only Android 2.3 and not 4.x. I'll read up on it, been out of the loop for a while now.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #40
Halberdier
Halberdier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I have an old Kindle 3 and use it to read mostly pdf files. I'm quite happy about the rendering. However large files are a bit of a challenge for the processor performance; sometimes it even hangs.
Halberdier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best (IMHO) is an iPad with the Goodreader app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #42
dr. ego
dr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy bluedr. ego can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo H2O
Any e-reader which can run Koreader is basicly great for reading pdf's in my opinion. As i'm still in university, i read a lot of pdf's on my e-reader. A tablet would be way to distracting for me to get any studying done.
dr. ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. ego View Post
Any e-reader which can run Koreader is basicly great for reading pdf's in my opinion. As i'm still in university, i read a lot of pdf's on my e-reader. A tablet would be way to distracting for me to get any studying done.
If you turn off the WiFi there is no reason a tablet should distract you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #44
Bolsa
Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bolsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle fire
bigger is better.

I read PDF files on:
- Kindle Fire 7"
- Kindle Fire 9"
- Laptop 15"

The answer from the best to worst: Laptop, KF 9, KF7.
So for PDF files : (screen) bigger is better.
Bolsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #45
reder
reder began at the beginning.

Lightbulb ebook reader for pdf: ICARUS eXceL - opinion?

Me too i'm looking for a good ereader for PDF files (both "scanned/ image" and "produced"). I've read some good opinions about ICARUS Ebook Reader eXceL.

Does anyone have experienced it? it's a bit expensive but if it really would do the job, well...i'd consider it
reder is offline   Reply With Quote