Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Google Coming Out With An iPad Challenger

According to the New York Times:

"Google — a search and advertising company — is soon expected to begin selling its version of a slate computer, like Apple’s iPad

Eric E. Schmidt, chief executive of Google, told friends at a recent party in Los Angeles about the new device, which would exclusively run the Android operating system. People with direct knowledge of the project — who did not want to be named because they said they were unauthorized to speak publicly about the device — said the company had been experimenting in “stealth mode” with a few publishers to explore delivery of books, magazines and other content on a tablet."

Yay!

Last edited by Sonist; 04-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Fantastic news. It's sure to be much more open in both hardware connections and software types supported.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'll be very interested to see what they come up with.

Hopefully they can match the iPads form factor, intuitive UI, battery life etc. but put in a real file management system, support flash, etc. etc. A screen an inch or so bigger would be a huge plus as well.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Will be interesting to see this when it arrives. I think the article may be a bit overly optimistic though when it says really close to selling, since there hasn't even been an announcement yet, I'd say it was at least two or three months out. I wonder if they are waiting on flash 10.1 like everyone else?
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
They'll have to do a lot better marketing it than they've done with the Nexus One.

It should be interesting since Google is not a hardware company and relies on other companies to develop product for them like HTC did for the Nexus One.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
... It should be interesting since Google is not a hardware company and relies on other companies to develop product for them like HTC did for the Nexus One.
If it is HTC, I'd be excited. They do know how to do good design, as well as good UI.

I am also hoping for one inch more....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Fighting... the urge... to make... the classic comeback...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Fantastic news. It's sure to be much more open in both hardware connections and software types supported.
Just like the Kindle.. oh wait

No I think it will be interestign to see which way this goes A 'real' tablet computer or a colour screen media kindle?

I just cant see Amazon releasing a full on computer. what OS would it have that is ready for use for example? windows 7? I dont see amazon going that route?

but who knows will be interestinmg to see.[]
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Fighting... the urge... to make... the classic comeback...
And we admire your self control, too.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Just like the Kindle.. oh wait

No I think it will be interestign to see which way this goes A 'real' tablet computer or a colour screen media kindle?

I just cant see Amazon releasing a full on computer. what OS would it have that is ready for use for example? windows 7? I dont see amazon going that route?

but who knows will be interestinmg to see.[]
But this the Google has a tablet thread, not the Amazon has a tablet thread.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
If it is HTC, I'd be excited. They do know how to do good design, as well as good UI.

I don't own one but I've heard good things about HTC phones. I was interested in the Adam from Notion Ink, it looked like they had some new UI ideas as well. I love touch screens and the possibilities they open for UI.

If a Google table is open to all the items Google has in the cloud I'd be very much interested in this as it would allow me to be more productive than an iPad which frankly, didn't do anything for me at all.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
That's what she said.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Yes if HTC is behind the hardware that would certainly give them my money. I've got a HTC Hero and it's a true pleasure to use.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
dsvick
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
That's what she said.
Right after she said...

Quote:

Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
But this the Google has a tablet thread, not the Amazon has a tablet thread.
oh cruds taht will teasch me not to post whilst under the influence
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote