Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Border's Books

Is the DRM used by Borders the same as the Overdrive library books? There is a book I would like to purchase to read over the weekend and would like to transfer it to Jetbook or Augen. They both accept the ADE books and I was wondering if that is what Borders is using. My son in law's Sony reads the ADE and since Border's sells Sony was wondering I could purchase from there. My pre-purchased Kindle is a week two so away from delivery, so don't want to buy from Amazon yet and I know I can't transfer via Barnes and Noble so that leaves Borders.
This is crazy how hard it is to BUY a current bestseller for a non Kindle or Nook ereader. I understand the concept of DRM but the big ebook sellers are restricting use of what I can use to read from, not what I do with what I purchase. Maybe the big three should agree upon one DRM format so one can buy an ereader for it's own merits, not what is available to read on it and one can purchase the ebooks of their choice.

Last edited by dixieknits; 09-08-2010 at 01:54 PM.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Is the DRM used by Borders the same as the Overdrive library books? There is a book I would like to purchase to read over the weekend and would like to transfer it to Jetbook or Augen. They both accept the ADE books and I was wondering if that is what Borders is using. My son in law's Sony reads the ADE and since Border's sells Sony was wondering I could purchase from there. My pre-purchased Kindle is a week two so away from delivery, so don't want to buy from Amazon yet and I know I can't transfer via Barnes and Noble so that leaves Borders.
This is crazy how hard it is to BUY a current bestseller for a non Kindle or Nook ereader. I understand the concept of DRM but the big ebook sellers are restricting use of what I can use to read from, not what I do with what I purchase. Maybe the big three should agree upon one DRM format so one can buy an ereader for it's own merits, not what is available to read on it and one can purchase the ebooks of their choice.

I am not sure what you mean by can't transfer. If you have the latest firmware on your Jetbook, you should be able to read books from both Borders and Barnes and Noble since the Jetbook supports both DRM schemes.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I should have said down or sideload. I did not realize Jetbook could read the Barnes and Noble DRM. I will update my firmware, I have 35.a installed on it now. I hadn't upgraded as all was working very well and I did not want to jinx this. Thankyou
Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
dixieknits
Addict

Could someone verify and name which update will enable the Barnes & Noble DRM usage. I can only find where it is available for the Jetbook Light models.
I hate to buy a $13.00 book if I can't read it.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am pretty sure if you get the latest firmware for the Jetbook, that will take care of it.

Does B&N put DRM on their free books? That might be a way to try it out without spending any money on an ebook.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
Could someone verify and name which update will enable the Barnes & Noble DRM usage. I can only find where it is available for the Jetbook Light models.
I hate to buy a $13.00 book if I can't read it.
http://www.jetbook.net/update.php

v035m – Released 7/2010
Full ePub support for Books from Barnes & Noble
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
dixieknits
Addict

Thankyou for the clarification. I will update this morning. I did find out that Borders, KoboBooks and Sony all sell the ADE version of DRM(same as US Overdrive library books) that will also work on our Jetbook as well as quite a few others but not the Kindle. Does it not come to mind that Amazon is losing quite a few ebook sales ,not to mention Kindle reader devices from folks not wanting to be locked into Kindle only formats by selling Kindle only DRM ebooks?
I"ve always loved Amazon for small electronics in the past, but now am shopping for Ebooks from sources where my Jetbook and Augen can read them. Glad to hear that I can add Barnes and Noble to my list. Thanks