Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #91
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Me too, she also seems to post the books I'm most interested in thanks Patrica and all who contribute.

Ted use to do a great job as well but seems to not be active any more

=X=
Were you talking about me? Not actually "dead", just been real busy. I have several awesome projects in-work. Hope to be able to finish soon.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #92
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Today we reached 9.000 books. Exactly one month for 1000 books. That makes about 300 new titles in one month.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #93
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I am very happy about this, thankful for all those who contributed, hopeful that more will join in that continuing effort, and also wondering what really cool thing we could do to celebrate when we hit 10,000 uploads which we might in about 4 or 5 more weeks. Could we bottle them up in some convenient package and offer them as a tidbit to all members new and old? A few people had requested a torrent which was rejected, I think. But what about zip files (one for each format) of all the ebooks we have together with the descriptions? They might be huge files and they would contain only a snapshot of what we have (the future versions issue) and it might, unfortunately, encourage those who would try to bundle them and try to sell them. But I was trying to think along the lines of Alexander's cunning plan to attract more new members with his Kindle giveaway. Any other ideas? Or we could just head to The Llounge as we always do.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #94
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I am very happy about this, thankful for all those who contributed, hopeful that more will join in that continuing effort, and also wondering what really cool thing we could do to celebrate when we hit 10,000 uploads which we might in about 4 or 5 more weeks. Could we bottle them up in some convenient package and offer them as a tidbit to all members new and old? A few people had requested a torrent which was rejected, I think. But what about zip files (one for each format) of all the ebooks we have together with the descriptions? They might be huge files and they would contain only a snapshot of what we have (the future versions issue) and it might, unfortunately, encourage those who would try to bundle them and try to sell them. But I was trying to think along the lines of Alexander's cunning plan to attract more new members with his Kindle giveaway. Any other ideas? Or we could just head to The Llounge as we always do.
If a certain doggy author who is apparently wildly popular amongst chihuahuas in Mexico City had the latest wooden chew toy (suitable for use as kindling) instead of his old reliable Made in Japan model, then he could use the Mobipocket downloadable file from Mobileread and have the books available in an updatable, Whispernet downloadable format. Just sayin'.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #95
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Could we bottle them up in some convenient package and offer them as a tidbit to all members new and old? A few people had requested a torrent which was rejected, I think. But what about zip files (one for each format) of all the ebooks we have together with the descriptions? They might be huge files and they would contain only a snapshot of what we have (the future versions issue) and it might, unfortunately, encourage those who would try to bundle them and try to sell them.
I speculate that collecting all Mobileread ebooks in one pagkage would require at least one DVD storage-wise and perhaps fill TWO DVD's!

That's combined storage for ALL ebooks, but for each upload format (.prc/.lrf/.imp/pdf), a single DVD (4 GB) should suffice.

Now that's a lot of bits & bytes!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #96
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Today we reached 9.000 books. Exactly one month for 1000 books. That makes about 300 new titles in one month.
Wow that's amazing! One more month and we'll have 10,000!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #97
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
you mean "9000 files" That'd translate in about 2500-3000 books?
Pretty neat!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #98
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
you mean "9000 files" That'd translate in about 2500-3000 books?
Pretty neat!
Yep, 9,000 ebooks uploaded (in .prc/.lrf/.imp/.epub/.pdf/.rb ... formats combined) or about 2,500 - 3,000 unique ebooks.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #99
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, we do have a rata of about 1 new title for 3.5 postings or so (most posters support 3 formats, crutledge, Patricia and me support 4). There are some posters only posting in one or two formats, so the rata of about 3.5 (seeing that Patricia, crutledge and me do post quite a lot)

Last edited by mtravellerh; 02-12-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #100
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
also lots of doubles on books, some books are even uploaded 4 to 5 times!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:31 AM   #101
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Does the count refer to threads or to files?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #102
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
also lots of doubles on books, some books are even uploaded 4 to 5 times!
Please give an example of that. You can't state things like that without a proof. There are a few double postings, but mostly they are there for a reason, mostly an addition of value.

The only exception might be the existence of dozens of different bible versions (hint!)

I have never seen any positive posting concerning us (the book assemblers) on this forum from you. Is there a reason for that ?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM   #103
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does the count refer to threads or to files?
Book files.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #104
nrapallo

Quote:
Please give an example of that. You can't state things like that without a proof. There are a few double postings, but mostly they are there for a reason, mostly an addition of value.
Duplicates by different uploaders may happen due to the sheer magnitude of books uploaded as well as the fact that most uploaders will start with the most widely available sources, hence increasing the chance for duplication. In most cases, the duplicate may be formatted differently or include illustrations absent from the other posting. No harm done when you consider this is a volunteer effort without any regimented "to do" list that must be adhered to (other than PG ).

I have several ebooks in my personal library of the "Prince and the Pauper" by Mark Twain that I have assembled and converted. Each one a bit different, and done over years of "ebook" conversions. Ditto, for Gulliver's Travels, Count of Monte Cristo, Aesop's Fables, etc. (the "common" Classics!) Oh, and I particularily like Jellby's "Prince and the Pauper" .epub; it's well done and pleasant to read! It's now part of my "collection"!

Quote:
The only exception might be the existence of dozens of different bible versions (hint!)
And a whole industry exists to cater to one's own preference, because people want them. To read, to study, to own. I think it's an "knee jerk" reaction to seek them out and convert them.

Quote:
I have never seen any positive posting concerning us (the book assemblers) on this forum from you. Is there a reason for that ?
I for one am in awe of the daily uploaders here, including yourself. I usually spend about a day per week working on an ebook conversion and may not even finish it before I start off converting another one. The assemblers here must contend with a lot of formatting/TOC issues, must proof their assemblies so as to not produce improper ebooks and ensure that all the formats they upload, look good enough to release. Not easily accomplished on a consistent basis. It shows true conviction and dedication!

You have always listened to my suggestions and even redone ebooks to correct issues. It is so easy to criticize, but not so easy to produce ebooks for public consumption (and ridicule if it "goes" against some perceived notion). All the power to you mtravellerh (and Patricia, RWood, MB, HarryT, crutledge, etc.).

A job well done and worthy of praise!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-20-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #105
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Harv and Vera's Adventure in Panama is uploaded 10 times...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote