Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-05-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
crescere
Connoisseur
crescere began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Cant open mobi

I know that Amazon dropped the MOBI format, but now suddenly I cant open any book that is in MOBI format in Calibre. I never had any problem with this before today. What is going on please? Thanks to any who help.
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
tell us more.
What version of Calibre on what OS?

Open where? What did you do to open (clicking View is the normal way)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #3
crescere
Connoisseur

In Calibre I selected "Click to Open" Instead of opening the book it goes to a screen where the book is depicted as icons or apps. When I click on the mobi it does not open. This never used to happen, and I have an excellent book collection that I can no longer access.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
In Calibre I selected "Click to Open" Instead of opening the book it goes to a screen where the book is depicted as icons or apps. When I click on the mobi it does not open. This never used to happen, and I have an excellent book collection that I can no longer access.
Please answer the questions @theducks asked in post #2.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #5
crescere
Connoisseur

How do I find my version of Calibre?
Advert
Old 12-05-2023, 04:08 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Look at the left hand bottom corner of the calibre screen. You will see something like calibre 7.1 which is the version number.

Are you showing the book list view or the cover browser in calibre or are you using a web browser to access the calibre web-server?

If in calibre, if you select the book and then hit V does the e-book viewer open?

A screen shot would be helpful.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-05-2023 at 04:13 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #7
crescere
Connoisseur

Thanks for answering. Its Calibre 4.20. I used to be able to read the book in Calibre by just selecting "click to open". Per the above suggestion I clicked the View command and the book opened. So I guess that will have to do. I am not sure why the other command wont work though. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-05-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would suggest updating your version of calibre if you are running an operating system that will support a newer version.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:08 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks for answering. Its Calibre 4.20. I used to be able to read the book in Calibre by just selecting "click to open". Per the above suggestion I clicked the View command and the book opened. So I guess that will have to do. I am not sure why the other command wont work though. Thanks for the help.
If you mean the "Click to open" in the Book details panel, that opens the book folder, and as far as I know that's what it's always done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-06 095642.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	205061

Are you sure you're not misremembering, and that what you clicked on before was the EPUB in the Formats: field, just above the Path: Click to open.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:10 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Code:
ID: doubleclick_on_library_view

You can control the behavior of double clicks and pressing Enter on the books list. Choices: open_viewer, do_nothing, show_book_details, edit_cell, edit_metadata. Selecting anything other than open_viewer or show_book_details has the side effect of disabling editing a field using a single click. Default: open_viewer. Example: doubleclick_on_library_view = 'do_nothing' You can also control whether the book list scrolls per item or per pixel. Default is per item.
It is a tweak . I set mine to do_nothing
That issue indicates the tweaks.json went AWOL
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:15 PM   #11
crescere
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would suggest updating your version of calibre if you are running an operating system that will support a newer version.
will later versions support the DRM removal? I want to have my library in one are in Calibre for my personal archive.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:25 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
will later versions support the DRM removal? I want to have my library in one are in Calibre for my personal archive.
Yes. Check out noDRM's Github page. The latest version is found at v10.0.9 (RC1 for 10.1.0).
Old 12-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It sounds like you're going to the folder containing the book in the calibre database, and then double-clicking the mobi file. If you have this set up to open a Kindle app, it's entirely possible that the Kindle app you have installed won't open mobi files any more.

The built-in calibre reader will certainly open mobi files.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote