Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 AM   #1
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Is there a good e-ink screen now to use for outdoor word processing

I have been following the e-ink market for years, waiting for a regular e-ink screen on a device that's bigger than a phone or even a regular Kindle (no WACOM required, no color required, maybe 10 inch?) but still affordable, with a decent refresh rate (NOT necessarily for watching videos, but to be able to browse the internet), running on Android (9?) with the Google App store, relatively sturdy (since it will be used outdoors), with the option to attach a bluetooth keyboard. So the main use case would be to JUST take it outside, do some research, but mainly just to work on drafting texts that could then subsequently still be edited on a more convenient computer indoors. I realize there is a market for stylus-based drawing or annotating. And of course those would end up costing more (WACOM layers, stylus). But surely I can not be the only one who just wants to be able to sit in the sun and type in documents in - say - Google Docs on a screen that is legible and shows me more than just a few lines at a time... And at a price point that doesn't break the bank. I obviously like the fact that Onyx (and a few others) are experimenting with new e-ink concepts, but isn't ANY vendor just focusing on this market niche?!?!

Last edited by sdspieg; 04-28-2020 at 12:49 AM.
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:04 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
The only device without Wacom that halfway meets the requirements is the Likebook Mars - 7.8 inches, Android 6.
For outdoor computing I use the Likebook Ares - 7.8 inch, Android 6. The Wacom stylus to place the cursor because the screen is too slow to display the mouse pointer.
All 10.3 inch devices with Android have Wacom.
The 10.3 devices have the same resolution as the 7.8, but the screen is not easily fragile, and they are more than 70% more expensive
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, there's this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329209

Combine it with a bluetooth keyboard and a decent offce suite and you'll have a decent word processing setup. Not as cheap as the LCD equivalent but it'll work.

You can even get MS Office on it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #4
sdspieg
Connoisseur
sdspieg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Kindle 3
Thanks much!
sdspieg is offline   Reply With Quote