Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #76
zertyuiop
zertyuiop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello, is there any way to change the font size on the home screen, for example the percentage of reading a book?
zertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #77
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zertyuiop View Post
Hello, is there any way to change the font size on the home screen, for example the percentage of reading a book?
Settings -> Beta Features -> Font Scale
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #78
zertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This changes the size of all fonts, I need to slightly reduce the font on the home screen.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I don't think anyone has ever requested this before so there is no official patch. However, you're in luck because I do something similar on my own Forma.

The following patch should allow you to change font-size for either or both of the upper labels (x% read) and the lower labels (y HOURS TO GO) on your Forma Home screen. I'm not planning to add this to the official kobopatch pack so just add it to the .yaml file where you keep all your other nickel.yaml custom patches.

You'll need to experiment to get your ideal Replace: font-sizes.

[patch code removed due to lack of response from requester]

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-28-2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: beta patch code removed
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #80
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This changes the size of all fonts, I need to slightly reduce the font on the home screen.
I have to ask, why? I can't think of what advantage this would give. The home screen is built around these font sizes and the words on them. Making them smaller isn't going to put more on the screen. I suppose that if you are also changing the font, tuning the size might be needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
I hadn't thought of this before, but this can be uses to make the font size smaller. Once the font scaling has been turned on, you can edit the config file and change the value for "LargePrintFontScale". Save the change, disconnect and restart the device and whatever was entered is used. I've tried 0.75 and it works. It does apply everywhere, not just the home screen. I can't think of a good use unless you had a lot of books with long titles. That would help to display the title without wrapping in the library list and elsewhere.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #82
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have to ask, why? I can't think of what advantage this would give. The home screen is built around these font sizes and the words on them. Making them smaller isn't going to put more on the screen. I suppose that if you are also changing the font, tuning the size might be needed.
I can't answer on behalf of @zertyuiop but I find the font-sizes used in many parts of the GUI on both KA1/Forma to be far too big (e.g. dictionary & footnote pop-ups, book lists). It's not necessarily anything to do with fitting more on the screen (e.g. Home screen), aesthetically it just "looks all wrong" (personal opinion only ) so when I know how to "fix" it ... I do.

OTOH I'm sure for many others the large print on the big screen Kobos is a real plus point.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #83
zertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I translated the reader into Russian, and just the percentage of what I read on the home screen does not appear completely and I have no idea how to make these labels shorter without changing the font size.
I do not really need Russian on the reader, but on Russian forums they often (very often) ask for Russian localization for the latest versions.

Last edited by zertyuiop; 04-27-2020 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #84
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I translated the reader into Russian, and just the percentage of what I read on the home screen does not appear completely and I have no idea how to make these labels shorter without changing the font size.
Just change the size in the translation file itself Patches are not needed, this is superfluous. Include private messages, I will explain.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #85
bajillioneer
bajillioneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've made sure ownership and permissions are set correctly but I keep getting denied. Patching as root also didn't work. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.

kobopatch.sh: line 17: ./bin/kobopatch-linux-64bit: Permission denied
bajillioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #86
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bajillioneer:

Doing that from a noexec mountpoint? (e.g., /tmp might be noexec on any sane system).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #87
bajillioneer
bajillioneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@bajillioneer:

Doing that from a noexec mountpoint? (e.g., /tmp might be noexec on any sane system).
Oh damn, I forgot about fstab. I recently added a new drive after one failed. Thanks.
bajillioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I believe I may have found a problem witht he Advanced Font Control (or whatever it's called now) patch. It's supposed to work with OTF fonts and I just side loaded an OTF font and yes, you can appear to change the weight but the font won't change on screen when reading ePub.

The font is New York small. This is from Apple. It is available for free.
https://developer.apple.com/fonts

Edit: I found the problem. The fonts are set to use Postscript outlines and need to be changed to use Truetype outlines.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2020 at 06:23 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #89
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@JSWolf:

Huh. Indeed, OTF w/ CFF outlines aren't tweakable in ePubs (but behave properly in KePubs).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:22 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@JSWolf:

Huh. Indeed, OTF w/ CFF outlines aren't tweakable in ePubs (but behave properly in KePubs).
At least I was able to fix the problem easily enough.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching