Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
MarkoRamius
MarkoRamius began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o 2nd Ed.
Transparent cases for ereaders

Hi,

I'm wondering why nobody had the idea (from what I know ...) to sell transparent cases for ereaders.

The first thing I do when I get a new areader (Kindle Paperwhite at first, and currently kobo H2o) is to find a way to display the current book cover when in sleep mode. But sleep mode is activated when the case is closed, so you don't really see the cover, unless you manually activate sleep mode with the powerbutton when the case is open.

So, why doesn't exist a transparent case (just a transparent window on the front part) ... so that when it's closed, you still can see the cover of the book you're reading ... ? Looks like a not-so-bad idea, don't you think ?
MarkoRamius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Because the Case is to Protect & a Thin plastic is Not that much protection, just so you can See the cover. I would Never buy one. JMO
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
MarkoRamius

Well, I'm not chemist, but there are plenty of options regarding the question of suitable materials.

silicon gels (like for smartphone cases) for example seem to be a good option...
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
It has never mattered to me if the cover of a book I was reading would show on the sleep screen. It’s a feature that my Kobo Glo has, but just not something I really care about. When I’m not reading, the covers are closed, and I don’t need the book cover to show.

I pick device covers for their protection and how they feel when holding the device. I also happen to like bright colors. Most see-through material that is protective ends up scratched and hazy looking that would look terrible in no time.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoRamius View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering why nobody had the idea (from what I know ...) to sell transparent cases for ereaders.

The first thing I do when I get a new areader (Kindle Paperwhite at first, and currently kobo H2o) is to find a way to display the current book cover when in sleep mode. But sleep mode is activated when the case is closed, so you don't really see the cover, unless you manually activate sleep mode with the powerbutton when the case is open.

So, why doesn't exist a transparent case (just a transparent window on the front part) ... so that when it's closed, you still can see the cover of the book you're reading ... ? Looks like a not-so-bad idea, don't you think ?
Maybe because there are many people that don't want to announce to the world what they are reading.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:

On my Kobos and Kindles screen covers (on Kobo books covers, on Kindle Amazon covers) get activated without closing the case and pressing the power button, simply by leaving both the reader and it's case open for a certain amount of time (I have no idea how long)
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Well, I'm not chemist, but there are plenty of options regarding the question of suitable materials.

silicon gels (like for smartphone cases) for example seem to be a good option...
Gee Here I thought you were asking about an invention NOT Currently on the market....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #8
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I don't mind a clear case for my phone but for an ereader, I like one that feels better in my had when reading for a long time. I don't think a clear plastic/rubber cover would be all that comfortable compared to the microfiber or other cloth interiors that most cases (with covers) seem to have. Plus many ereaders need a magnet embedded in the cover to activate the automatic on/off switching so clear would be somewhat defeated by that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
The one thing I dislike about the Paperwhite is that I can't not display anything on the sleep screen. All of the Sonys allow me to choose if I want a screensaver up or nothing at all. I always choose nothing at all.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I think you just have to choose whether you want a sleep screen or a cover, but do consider contacting a manufacturer about it. I use sleeves since I don't like reading with the cover attached with the exception of the tremendously thin wake/sleep cover on my Voyage. Since those sleep/wake covers only provide protection for your screen, I see no reason why they couldn't make a transparent one as well.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:31 AM   #11
MarkoRamius

Wow, I couldn't expect such sort of replys. Matter of taste !

Well, as I feel I have to justify myself, let's go ! :-)

I like reading. I love my ereader because it's very convenient. But I still do love more the feeling of the real book (you know, that thing made of paper and a cardboard cover). I like when I take my ereader in my hands to have that feeling. I like to view the cover of the book I'm reading, because it starts immersing me. Because sometimes I don't even remember what book I was reading last time I read, too.

Other thing I love from real books, it's the social dimension. Have you never had a talk with a friend, a relative, a neighbour in a train or plane, just because he saw you were currently reading THAT book he loved (or hated - that happens too) ? I like talking and sharing about readings. When I go to someone's house, I like to see the books he has on the shelves of his library. To compare what we have read in common, discover others books he loved, and so on. All sort of things e-readers currently prevent, and that I - personnaly - regret. And I'm here talking about real discussions, face to face, not forum or social network talks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Gee Here I thought you were asking about an invention NOT Currently on the market....
Thank you for your sarcam ( :-) ) but no, I'm not asking about an invention already in the market (from what I know). You wrote soonner that thin plastic is not a protection, the example of silicon gel is just to show there are materials that are transparent, thick enough, and quite effective as a protection. In a classic case for ereader (leather ou simili-leather like we all have), you could have a sort of window on the front part of the case that would be filled with, for example, such a silicon gel sheet. That would have the protection level we all expect, plus the transparency I'm looking for. Just to say that it's possible to have both those features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Maybe because there are many people that don't want to announce to the world what they are reading.
Ok, no problem with that, every one can live the way he wants. At the opposite I'm pretty sure there are many people that do want to announce it (for the above mentionned reasons !).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I don't mind a clear case for my phone but for an ereader, I like one that feels better in my had when reading for a long time. I don't think a clear plastic/rubber cover would be all that comfortable compared to the microfiber or other cloth interiors that most cases (with covers) seem to have. Plus many ereaders need a magnet embedded in the cover to activate the automatic on/off switching so clear would be somewhat defeated by that.
I agree with that, that's why I'm talking about a standard case, with just a transparent window on the front part !

I just hope I made myself clear - english is not my mother tongue, as you may have noticed !
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 AM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Other thing I love from real books, it's the social dimension. Have you never had a talk with a friend, a relative, a neighbour in a train or plane, just because he saw you were currently reading THAT book he loved (or hated - that happens too) ? I like talking and sharing about readings. When I go to someone's house, I like to see the books he has on the shelves of his library. To compare what we have read in common, discover others books he loved, and so on. All sort of things e-readers currently prevent, and that I - personnaly - regret. And I'm here talking about real discussions, face to face, not forum or social network talks.
I think you don't read a lot of romance novels And, after this, I say I like your idea.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:42 AM   #13
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I could see something like that being viable, if the front was made from something clear but fairly rigid like plexiglass.
Though there is the issue that the Kindle, which is the most popular eReader, doesn't support using the current bookcover as the screensaver, at least without a jailbreak.

Last edited by binaryhermit; 11-08-2017 at 04:46 AM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #14
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I would buy one. Finally a proper use for Chuck Tingle covers.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #15
MarkoRamius

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I would buy one. Finally a proper use for Chuck Tingle covers.
Wee, I had never heard of Chuck Tingle. I just googled it and ... Well, I don't know if I really have to thank you... At least I can understand the reluctance about visble covers :-)