Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #1336
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinga76 View Post
I Had a problem with books on my sd card, so I did a factory reset and get back to FW 4.3.9084 so now Calibre shows books stored on the SD card when I connect my Kobo but doesn't the reading stats.
OK, but, you didn't really answer any of my questions.

As I said before, I assume you are trying to retrieve the reading status from the device and store it in the calibre library. There are two ways to run this, automatically when the device is connected and manually. Which way you are trying to run it affects what the problem might.

And whether calibre matches the books on the device to the books in the library is important. If the books are not matched, then the status cannot be retrieved. As you are using an SD card, are the books on it matched to calibre, or are you seeing the books in the device list for the card?

To be able to help, I need to know what is and isn't happening, not just the overall affect. The plugin is working fine for me to retrieve reading status with any firmware version on the Kobo device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #1337
Kinga76
Kinga76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
OK, but, you didn't really answer any of my questions.

As I said before, I assume you are trying to retrieve the reading status from the device and store it in the calibre library. There are two ways to run this, automatically when the device is connected and manually. Which way you are trying to run it affects what the problem might.
Ok, the automatic way stop working, when I try to do it manually it open the Reading Position Changes dialog with the % from the kobo but after I click ok nothing change in Calibre

Quote:
And whether calibre matches the books on the device to the books in the library is important. If the books are not matched, then the status cannot be retrieved. As you are using an SD card, are the books on it matched to calibre, or are you seeing the books in the device list for the card?
I didn't change anything so I assume the calibre matches the books on the device to the books in the library
Thank you for trying to help me
Kinga76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #1338
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinga76 View Post
Ok, the automatic way stop working, when I try to do it manually it open the Reading Position Changes dialog with the % from the kobo but after I click ok nothing change in Calibre
That probably means the plugins configuration has been messed up somehow. You need to check that it has the correct column selected for each of the pieces of data that is retrieved.

The configuration can also be device specific. Make sure the correct device is selected or that you are using the option for all devices.
Quote:
I didn't change anything so I assume the calibre matches the books on the device to the books in the library
Why assume when you can look? When the device is connected, the main library list will show a green tick at the start of the line for each book that is in the library and on the device. Similarly, in the device list, the tick shows if the book on the device matches a book in the calibre library. If the book you are reading on the device doesn't have the tick, the reading status cannot be retrieved.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #1339
Kinga76
Kinga76 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
That probably means the plugins configuration has been messed up somehow.
Thank you so much I'll chack that because when the device is connected I see that green thick.
Kinga76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #1340
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
hey everybody, I'm really new here so I'm still trying to get used to the forum(I use xda but maybe here is a bit different haha). I'd like to know which are the steps to restore the database. And if the steps that I already took to backup are right(I hope so haha):

So I already installed the plugging and added my kobo in the "Devices" settings. There shows that the kobo is connected and the serial number too. So to make things "easier" I used the option from there to backup my database automatically, so I checked the device that I added and checked the "Backup the device database on each connection". Ok. I tested and it's really backing up the question is how do I restore it? Just copping and pasting the files? what about the config files?

Thx for the attention and the pluggin!
Blas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #1341
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
hey everybody, I'm really new here so I'm still trying to get used to the forum(I use xda but maybe here is a bit different haha). I'd like to know which are the steps to restore the database. And if the steps that I already took to backup are right(I hope so haha):

So I already installed the plugging and added my kobo in the "Devices" settings. There shows that the kobo is connected and the serial number too. So to make things "easier" I used the option from there to backup my database automatically, so I checked the device that I added and checked the "Backup the device database on each connection". Ok. I tested and it's really backing up the question is how do I restore it? Just copping and pasting the files? what about the config files?
The restore of the backup is deliberately manual. If you need to do it, then you need to be careful and make sure you restore the correct files. It is simple, you need to unpack the zip file and then copy the files to the device to replace the ones already there.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #1342
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Oh great now I got it. Thx for the answer. Is there a way to clean the "trash" in the database? Like just delete things that aren't inside my kobo anymore but delete it from the database.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #1343
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh great now I got it. Thx for the answer. Is there a way to clean the "trash" in the database? Like just delete things that aren't inside my kobo anymore but delete it from the database.
If you delete a book from the device, nearly all traces of the book are removed from the database. The only ones that are left are in the Events table and are used for the hours read and other statistics. This should happen whether you use the device UI, calibre or simply delete the book file from the device's drive.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #1344
Blas
Ulica Guy

That's what I imagine. I was asking cuz my database used to be 30mb but now after upgrading some books metadata it's around 50mb so I don't know if is junk things or just the metadata. Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but do you think that it could be the metadata that I uploaded?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #1345
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's what I imagine. I was asking cuz my database used to be 30mb but now after upgrading some books metadata it's around 50mb so I don't know if is junk things or just the metadata. Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place, but do you think that it could be the metadata that I uploaded?
Overall, the database isn't very efficient. On my Glo HD with over 4000 books, its around 150MB in size. But, growing from 30MB to 50MB if you just changed some metadata seems a bit much. Unless the comments are very big. Compressing the database will probably get some of that space back. There is a function in the plugin to do this, but, the device seems to do it at times, though I'm not exactly sure when.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #1346
Blas
Ulica Guy

I will test it, but it won't make me lose anything or corrupt my database right?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #1347
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I will test it, but it won't make me lose anything or corrupt my database right?
It shouldn't. But, things happen and I can't guarantee nothing will go wrong. As you are backing up the database automatically, you have something you can restore.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #1348
Blas
Ulica Guy

I just did it and it's now in 47mb, it's not a big difference but it's faster to import the content shit after turning it on. So thx a lot for helping. Do you know another way that could make these "importing content" thing faster ? I have 438 books.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #1349
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I just did it and it's now in 47mb, it's not a big difference but it's faster to import the content shit after turning it on. So thx a lot for helping. Do you know another way that could make these "importing content" thing faster ? I have 438 books.
The only way to make the "Importing content" faster is not to put so many books on the device. But, once it is done, it shouldn't happen for those books again. If it is, it is either a sign of a corrupt database, or you are sideloading kepubs to the external SD card. The latter is a bug in the 4.5.x firmware.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:25 PM   #1350
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Beta - Set sync date and page direction, French help

Attached is a beta with three changes in it:
  • In the "Update metadata in Device Library":
    • Add option to change the "Date Added".
    • Add option to set the "Reading Direction".
  • Add French translation of help. Thanks to @Fenchdummy.

The option for setting the "Date Added" on the device will affect the "Recent" and "Date Added" sorts. If you add books to the device as you add them to calibre, these sorts will reflect the order the books were added. But, if reload the device after a factory reset or signing out of an account, or buying a new device, these sorts will basically show the books in title order. The "Date Added" option allows you to set the date for the books on the device from calibre. The choices at the moment are; "Date" (usually the date the book was added to the library), "Modified Date" (when the metadata was last changed in the library) and "Published Date". I have meant to do this for a while, but my new Aura ONE triggered this actually doing it.

The option for setting the "Reading Direction" came out of a recent discussion on reading Manga on the device. When new books are processed by the device, it will get the reading direction from the book if possible. This works for sideloaded kepubs, but not other formats. With this option, you can set the reading direction to "RTL" (right-to-left) for CBR and CBZ formats and this will be respected (and I got very frustrated the other day when I open a comic and forgot that I set this - kept tapping the right side of the screen and nothing happened ). For other formats, it sets a default. I haven't really done enough experimenting to be sure how well this works for them. For kepubs, they can contain reading direction for each internal file. I think this overrides the default from the database or OPF, but if the file sets a direction, that will be used. The choices for this option are "Default", "RTL" and "LTR". I expect that using "RTL" will be the most common, but use "Default" if you need to undo the change.

The French translation of the help was done by Frenchdummy earlier in the year. My thanks for that and my apologies for not adding it a lot sooner.

As usual, if anyone sees a problem, please report it here. I've also realised while writing this that I have probably said, "I'll look into that" for some things over the last few months. I'll try to go back over the thread in the next few days to see what I've missed, but if you want to remind me, that's good to.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-06-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Remove beta as change has been released.

Tags
kobo, kobo utilities