Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How quiet do you need it to be to read?
I wear earplugs when I'm alone 1 1.28%
I need absolute silence 9 11.54%
Quiet, but not too quiet 11 14.10%
I can handle normal sound levels 23 29.49%
I'm a combat hardened urban reader 17 21.79%
What explosion? 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quiet, Please! I'm Reading!

Do you need absolute silence to read?
Are you one of those people who likes to be completely alone, phone turned off, cat sedated, curled up in your favorite chair in order to read?
A make the world go away, I'm reading person?
Or are you an Extreme Reader?
The kind of person who can read with the stereo blasting?
An anywhere, anytime, anyplace reader who can read standing, sitting, dancing, "fooling around"?
On buses, subways, planes?
In cars, bars?
In crowded supermarkets, arenas, on the job?
In the living room, dining room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom?
Can you read in the middle of a riot?
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
For me, a lot depends on the content. If it's lighter entertainment reading, bring on the nearby riot. As long as nothing hits me or my book, I can cheerily ignore it.

For heavier reading (such as one p-book on theology I'm working on currently), I do need a little more concentration, but too quiet an environment also bothers me.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One

I always go and read in my garden. Nice birds chirping in between and breezes shuffling leaves.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I can read pretty much whenever and wherever. Unless my husband has something really funny on TV. But it has to be SUPER funny.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Another great poll!

I'm a very noise-sensitive urban reader.

I'm too easily distracted by things like TV, music, or people.

On the other hand, I don't like total silence, either. I like some sort of white noise or, as patilsaurabhr mentioned, garden sounds.

If the weather is nice, I'll sit outside or open a window and listen to the birds and breezes. If not, I just turn on the little fan I use for white noise when I sleep.

Anyway, I answered "quiet, but not too quiet."
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I get distracted by people if I'm in a public place (I start people watching), but normal noises don't usually bother me. For me, it really depends on where I am reading, not so much the noise level.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I can read under any noise conditions, anywhere.
First off, I'm a native New Yorker. There is no such thing as quiet or alone. Ever.
Secondly, I grew up the only male in a house with three women. I am selectively deaf.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
I find i get distracted very easily unless i have complete silence, hence most of my reading is done in bed
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I can read anywhere, no matter the noise level. Now, that I have more time for myself, I am discovering that the quiet time is very nice.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Secondly, I grew up the only male in a house with three women. I am selectively deaf.

I'm not gonna label all women the same but I usually find women to be more chatty than men, babbling about all and nothing

I can stand background noise but find it very hard to concentrate if someone is talking at the same time I'm trying to read.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'm a combat hardened urban reader.
I'll read anywhere and anything. Doesn't bother me at all when people in the subway peek over my shoulder to see what I'm reading, or are blasting my eardrums away.
But, as for working: I should finish writing up my research, but........birds are chirping: what, what birds, must go see. Cat is meowing: what's the matter, go outside, want to play? Worst of all, I work on a PC: let's check Mobile forum out. etc.
So I can focus very well on reading and tend to have a wandering mind while working.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Mostly calm, sometime music (something soft like movie soundtracks).
Someone in the train forcing their music on me when I'm trying to read, makes me want to slap in in the face, or grab his / her player and throw it on the floor with of the strength I can get.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Give me a good book, and I'm gone... I might answer your question, but don't expect me to know what you've said...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Give me a good book, and I'm gone... I might answer your question, but don't expect me to know what you've said...
I know what you mean. I've learned to just say hmm and uh-uh while reading so people at least get the idea I'm listening to what they're saying

Music is usually no problem, but I find it difficult to read on the train when people around me are talking to each other. Probably because their conversation is usually so utterly stupid I just have to listen to it.

For me it all depends on the book. If it's super fantastic awesome amazing, I can read anywhere. If it's just good, I get distracted sometimes.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I find speaking and music to be the most distracting. Non-human sounds like wind, chirping birds, and rain are OK.

I frequently wear noise-canceling headphones to help improve my concentration. Sometimes I use them by themselves, but for particularly obnoxious stuff (like the neighbors across the alley who think the whole neighborhood wants to listen to their music with them) I'll use the noise-canceling headphone in conjunction with a white noise generator app on my iPod.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote