Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Cool Copying books to Kobo device

What is the recommended method of copying epub books (not purchased through Kobo) to a Kobo device? Books that I have bought through Kobo, and the 100 freebies that shipped with the device are in the folder:

\.kobo\kepub\

Is that also where I should copy downloaded epub books?

I noticed that when using Calibre, it copied the books to the root of the Kobo device, under a folder of the Author's name. I presume that if I want to copy over a book manually, I could just do the same?

I'm curious to see how others are doing it.
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjturner71 View Post
I noticed that when using Calibre, it copied the books to the root of the Kobo device, under a folder of the Author's name. I presume that if I want to copy over a book manually, I could just do the same?
Yes. Why wouldn't you want to use Calibre?
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
You should avoid the .kobo/kepub directory. Files that begin with a dot are hidden (on Linux). The device stores files there that are downloaded via the desktop or via wireless.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Tim is right - the files in the .kobo\kepub directory are encrypted with Kobo's DRM. Unencrypted ePubs can just be copied to the root of your device.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
kjturner71
kjturner71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
@ModReader : It's not that I wouldn't want to use Calibre -- I do use it -- but sometimes I want to just quickly copy over a book without launching Calibre. That I can just manually copy the files over is useful to know.
kjturner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Running Man
Running Man began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350 & PRS650, Kobo EReader, Acer 1830TimelineX
Wink Directory Digital Editions

Currently I am using Windows 7 64 bit. When I connect my Kobo Ereader, both the Kobo EReader and the SD Card shows up as separate drives. For the Kobo Ereader, I usually drag and drop my epub books into the directory: Digital Editions. Or I can drag and copy them into my SD card in the Kobo Reader. The Kobo Ereader seems to be able to find the books in any directory in the SD card. On the Kobo Ereader, it seems to only recognize the books in the Digital Editions directory. Hope this helps.
Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo