Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM   #211
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkman View Post
I got my Kindle (G000PP) with special offers and the tutorial states I should consider unsubscribing from the ad support. Is this absolutely necessary?

Also, what exactly happens when Amazon updates my subscription? As of right now, my Kindle has FW 5.10.0.2. I kept it in airplane mode to prevent it from phoning home. Will it try to pull an update once I connect to WiFi? Should I add the OTA blocker as a precaution?

Thanks in advance!
No, it is not absolutely necessary.
BUT if it bricks before the touch screen becomes active, you will be returning it for exchange rather than just clearing the problem.
Your choice.

The change is recorded both in Amazon's database and on the Kindle.

Yes.
Very aggressively.

Only if you do not want Amazon to update your firmware.
Your choice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #212
matko
Enthusiast
matko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
I opened the PW4 and now I get access to the serial port.
I thought to use the same way as PW3 serial JB but when I hit a key to stop autoboot, this is not the uboot prompt but I have the message
"Enter fastboot mode, use Ctrl+C to exit."

I tried to use a fastboot utility but it can't find any device.

Ctrl+C does nothing expect repeat the message
I have to reboot with a 15 seconds press on power button

Does anyone have a clue to get further and acces a serial console ?
matko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #213
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you using the special Kindle version of fastboot (posted here)?

Hint:
Imagine you where dealing with an Linux/Android booting scheme rather than a Linux/Amazon booting scheme (you are).
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #214
matko
Enthusiast

I compiled a Kindle fastboot version found on GitHub (https://github.com/TobiasWooldridge/Fastboot-Kindle)

-- edit --

Silly me !!! I forgot to run fastboot as root !!

Last edited by matko; 12-13-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #215
matko
Enthusiast

So, I tried to set bootmode to diags but it seems that bootmode variable is unknown...
"WARNING: unknown variable: bootmode"
Old 12-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #216
matko
Enthusiast

I am a bit lost

Is someone already succesfully JB via serial link ?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #217
pinkman
pinkman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Thanks for you answer, knc1. I got my subscription updated by Amazon.

One more question: Step 2 of the tutorial is the last time I should ever again use the Reset menu entry. Why exactly? Will it simply delete (or undo or whatever) the jailbreak our could it possibly brick the device?
pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #218
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks for you answer, knc1. I got my subscription updated by Amazon.

One more question: Step 2 of the tutorial is the last time I should ever again use the Reset menu entry. Why exactly? Will it simply delete (or undo or whatever) the jailbreak our could it possibly brick the device?
It resets the device to the customer information and data that it had from the factory. I.E: Nothing.
Think of it as a "Delete" selection.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #219
pinkman
pinkman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Alright, KUAL is up and running on my Kindle so the jailbreak worked out fine it seems. Only problem is that the device freezes when I try to open my epubs through KOReader, but I guess this is not the right thread for this issue.

Thanks to everyone involved for providing these tutorials.
pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM   #220
dpk
dpk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Wink

Quote:
Alright, KUAL is up and running on my Kindle so the jailbreak worked out fine it seems. Only problem is that the device freezes when I try to open my epubs through KOReader, but I guess this is not the right thread for this issue.

Thanks to everyone involved for providing these tutorials.
How did you install KO Reader (what build and possibly link)? The one I tried thrown exception stating, the package is not built for the device!
dpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #221
fllc
has been
fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fllc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k4nt, touch, PW2, koa2, pw4, Nook GLP 7.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk View Post
How did you install KO Reader (what build and possibly link)? The one I tried thrown exception stating, the package is not built for the device!
@dpk: I downloaded latest nightly, unpacked and copied koreader and extensions directories to kindle. started kual, and Koreader just worked. no problems at all.
fllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #222
Noplan
Noplan began at the beginning.

Device: pw4
problem with jailbreaking..

Hello,
sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand me.(I'm german)

I have an Problem with Jailbreaking my paperwhite 2018

My Firmware Version (out of the Box) is 5.10.0.2 serial:g000 pp08 xxxx xxxx

So i have installed the Factory firmware from the Post 1
It works.

Than I've put the file kindle-jailbreak-1.15.N-r15581 to the root of the kindle.
;installHtml .... Enter..
it flashes then restart but there is no book with jailbreak(only 2 new files in the root)...what goes wrong???

i use an macbook to copy the files...

thanxx for help...

Last edited by Noplan; 12-14-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Noplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 PM   #223
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You need to put the file named:
main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
in the root of the kindle, then put
;installHtml
in the search box and do Enter
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #224
xRetroN
xRetroN began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Hi! I jailbreak my PW4 about week ago, today i decided update to the newest version (maybe customer update?). During updating, I saw the words at the bottom *Bridge+* or something like that, but after installation there was no trace of jailbreak What can I do? KUAL can not turn on, I tried to install jailbreak, MRPI, KUAL but nothing works Thanks for reply and help !
xRetroN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:21 PM   #225
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplan View Post
. . . . .
i use an macbook to copy the files...

thanxx for help...
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You need to put the file named:
main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
in the root of the kindle, then put
;installHtml
in the search box and do Enter
You MUST prevent MacOS from tampering with that compressed archive.
This a FEP.

Unless the user has changed the default archive handling, MacOS is automatically turning that archive into a: "Safe" archive.
I.E: Making it non-functional (it MUST NOT be turned into a "Safe" archive).

Tags
jailbreak, pw4