Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #61
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Even though Amazon ports some newer features to some older Kindles, it seems Kobo ports everything back as far as they possibly can.
Well, Amazon actually does exactly the same. My 5-year-old Basic Kindle got the newest firmware update only recently. So there's no difference between Amazon and Kobo in that regard.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I haven't tried it on the Forma, but I can definitely confirm that it's pulling stuff from hidden folders on my H2O .

It actually did it in a fairly strange way (I'm assuming because of the terrible I/O perf of the H2O, and the massive amount of crap I happen to have on my H2O behind dot folders ^^): instead of picking it up in the usual "Importing content" screen after an unplug, the screen showed up almost a minute later, while I was browsing the Library...

Sidebar: While I can understand showing the path, opting for an absolute path (custom Linux mountpoints and all) seems a bit of a weird decision? Probably ought to be relative to /mnt/onboard or /mn/sd, with something else (an icon?) used to differentiate internal from external storage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notgood.png
Views:	474
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	173515  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-17-2019 at 09:57 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've installed this firmware, and as of yet, it seems everything is working, at least for KEPUBs. I like the knew progress options, even though I think the "Reading Progress" menu could have had its own button, and the header and footer could have a bigger font in the space provided.

I like the fact that my three year old KA1 still gets the features of the newer readers such as the Forma and Libra. Even though Amazon ports some newer features to some older Kindles, it seems Kobo ports everything back as far as they possibly can.
Kindles prior to the PW (or is it PW2), Kindles are frozen in features. There's noting new happening with them.

Every Kobo minus the Mini has the new firmware officially available.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #64
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
All in all, I like the new top/bottom of the pages. Yes I'd prefer the title at the top and the chapters at the bottom, but their sizes are small enough to not disturb from the page. And I like that the windows for the fonts and the chapters graph are more compact.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 AM   #65
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, Amazon actually does exactly the same. My 5-year-old Basic Kindle got the newest firmware update only recently. So there's no difference between Amazon and Kobo in that regard.
Then it has changed. I only saw one feature update for my KPW1 (from 2012) since the day I bought it, and it's stuck there. Not that it's a problem; apart from customizing the reading experience (book display, dictionaries and reading progress) I don't use any of the features; not with Kindle, or Kobo.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I haven't tried it on the Forma, but I can definitely confirm that it's pulling stuff from hidden folders on my H2O .
I asked. This change is deliberate. Apparently there have been complaints over the years that they don't import books from these directories. At the moment, only the .kobo, and probably the .kobo-images, are not searched.
Quote:
It actually did it in a fairly strange way (I'm assuming because of the terrible I/O perf of the H2O, and the massive amount of crap I happen to have on my H2O behind dot folders ^^): instead of picking it up in the usual "Importing content" screen after an unplug, the screen showed up almost a minute later, while I was browsing the Library...
The timing of the importing contents changed a while ago. It used to be before the home screen was displayed. Now it is after the home screen is displayed. And while I'd never thought about it, how it takes probably dependent on the number of files on the disk.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor: Thanks for asking!

I'll double-check if that blacklist is hard-coded, or if we can get away with using .kobo-adds or something .

EDIT: Yup, hard-coded. .kobo/addons it is, then (which does work, and is properly ignored).
Off to fix my rpaths, then .

----

Yep, makes sense, that's what the behavior implied, but good to know it's by design .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-17-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #68
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I asked. This change is deliberate. Apparently there have been complaints over the years that they don't import books from these directories.
I can't believe anyone would like it, much less need such a change... For what?

Let's ask here, are there those who complained and asked?

It's a trash change and the best option is to return it all back

Last edited by Semwize; 09-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #69
IanScuffling
Enthusiast
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I encountered this as well. It pulled in a bunch of images from an old install of the Plato reader that I thought I had deleted.
It pulled in screensaver images as books for me. Weird.
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@davidfor: Another question, since I've just remembered why we weren't putting stuff inside .kobo to begin with: it used to get (recursively) deleted in some circumstances (account reset? Database crash? I don't exactly recall, unfortunately :/).

Does that ring a bell? Is it still relevant?
Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #71
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ick, I explicitly have all my stuff in hidden folders so that Nickel doesn't take half an hour (or more!) if I should happen to use USB on it. This idiotic scanning business is horrifically broken by design.

Edit
Unless something has rather significantly improved since 4.5, which took ~25 minutes to scan a mere 500 MB of content. But frankly the fact that it takes 20-30 seconds for just a few documents doesn't lead me to believe it has…

Last edited by Frenzie; 09-17-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #72
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Okay, now I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I thought I would try searching in a Epub book that does not have 1 Toc entry per file, (the bug supposedly fixed in 4.15.),, the Kobo can not go to the search result... it spits out a DRM error!

If that wasn't enough, the bug that causes the Kobo to forget what page your on when you exit the epub is still there.. so now *both* Epub bugs are in effect!
I can't address the first bug, but the second bug does not appear to manifest itself on my Aura. I opened several epub files in succession, and it "remembered" the previous page number every time.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-17-2019 at 11:26 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #73
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
The book title (+ progress) is now always at the bottom and the current chapter (+ progress) always at the top.
This is crazy and the reason I can't update unless we get a patch to fix them, what was the thinking here? I have never seen any book do this so why would Kobo think their users would want it this way?
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that it is due to the new progress bar being at the bottom. The Progress bar tracks total pages in the book, so I suppose they thought it would make sense to keep it together.

I'd prefer the chapter info remain at the bottom myself. But I can understand why they changed it, if my guess is correct.

I haven't updated yet because I'm waiting on the patches. But when I do I'm planning on leaving the header and progress bar on and turning off the footer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #74
RichSz
RichSz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Noob question: Is there a downside to manually updating your reader? Any advantages to just waiting for the OTA update?
RichSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #75
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSz View Post
Noob question: Is there a downside to manually updating your reader? Any advantages to just waiting for the OTA update?
The only advantage to waiting is that there’s a slight chance you can brick your device by manually updating incorrectly. I can’t recall the last time this happened to anyone on the forums, and I’ve manually updated my Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, and my Kobo Forma numerous times each, and have never had an issue.

I suppose if you use the patches waiting for the OTA update might push you past the point where they’re done so you’d be able to update and patch right away. But I don’t think the reading experience on 4.17 is at a point that it needs patches to be enjoyable. The patches just improve the experience.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote