Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question FIXED!! Kobo Aura One not mounting on Mac. 4.18 Issue?

I'm not ready to give up my KA1 just yet. It's my favorite ereader. I'm hoping somebody has a quick fix for this.

My KA1 charges fine. The USB port is fine. But I have a hard time getting it to mount on my Mac. Before 4.18, sometimes it worked, sometimes it showed up in the USB chain, but wasn't mounted, and sometimes nothing I did got it to mount. This would suggest a Mac problem, except that my daughter's Clara HD mounts with no issues whatsoever.

Right now, my KA1 is plugged into the USB port on my Mac and charging, complete with glowing orange light, but it doesn't mount on my Mac. I suspect it's a problem with the latest updates. Under 4.17 I started experience spotty mounting. Since upgrading to 4.18, I can't get it to mount at all. But maybe something else is going on?

1. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Is there a fix?
2. What could be causing this problem if it is update related?
3. Why would the KA1 charge fine, but not be able to mount when the Clara HD has no issues under the same setup and firmware?

Here's what I've done so far.
1. Cold booted the KA1
2. Rebooted the Mac
3. Disconnected the USB hub and reconnected it.
4. Connected the KA1 directly to the Mac's USB port

Nothing is working.
I'm trying it on a different Mac next, but in the meantime, maybe you've heard something about this? As much as I like the new changes, I may have to downgrade to get my KA1 functional again.

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2019 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Edited because the issue is resolved 10/19
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have now tested my KA1 on another Mac. It didn't mount there either. I am more certain that this is a 4.18 firmware issue. I haven't downgraded in a while. Can I just drop an older firmware into the .kobo folder, or do I need to reset my KA1?

I may reset my KA1 first to see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing worth trying; if you have an older USB hub (preferably 2.0) plug it into the Mac and then connect the Kobo to the hub.

Over the years we've often seen people with issues connecting Kobos to USB 3 ports.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One thing worth trying; if you have an older USB hub (preferably 2.0) plug it into the Mac and then connect the Kobo to the hub.

Over the years we've often seen people with issues connecting Kobos to USB 3 ports.
Actually, I do have an older iMac. I'll try connecting to that to rule USB2.0/3.0 out as the issue.

These USB 3 issues you've seen… Do they develop over time?
Old 10-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #5
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Probably won't help, but you never know...

Have you tried pluging it with another USB cable?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Right now, my KA1 is plugged into the USB port on my Mac and charging, complete with glowing orange light, but it doesn't mount on my Mac.[...]

Here's what I've done so far.
1. Cold booted the KA1
2. Rebooted the Mac
3. Disconnected the USB hub and reconnected it.
4. Connected the KA1 directly to the Mac's USB port
With apologies if I missed it in your post - have you tried different cables?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Aura One not mounting on Mac

I’ve been terribly ill, so I haven’t been on top of your replies.

Trying different computers didn’t work. Different cables didn’t work either. But one night since my last post here, my KA1 auto updated the firmware. That must have fixed the issue because now my KA1 connects instantly again.

What an annoying glitch that was. I’m glad Kobo was on it—or fixed something that just happened to fix things for me. Whatever. LOL. I’m back in business after many months of frustration.

~Dˢ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Cootey; 10-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I’ve been terribly ill, so I haven’t been on top of your replies.

Trying different computers didn’t work. Different cables didn’t work either. But one night since my last post here, my KA1 auto updated the firmware. That must have fixed the issue because now my KA1 connects instantly again.

What an annoying glitch that was. I’m glad Kobo was on it—or fixed something that just happened to fix things for me. Whatever. LOL. I’m back in business after many months of frustration.
Are you sure it updated? In the first post you said it was on 4.18.x. But, that is the last release. Are you sure it was on 4.18? Exactly what firmware version is it on now?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure it updated? In the first post you said it was on 4.18.x. But, that is the last release. Are you sure it was on 4.18? Exactly what firmware version is it on now?

I am currently on 4.18.13737, so I must have originally meant the upgrade from 4.17.13651 to 4.17.13694 killed mounting for my Kobo because I couldn’t update it to the latest—4.18.13737. That’s the only thing that makes any sense. My KA1 is now on the latest firmware, and I couldn’t manually update it before.

Sorry for the confusion. I’m afraid I was coming down with a nasty virus at the beginning of September. I was still sick when I originally posted this thread. I’m only now recovering from it and trying to catch up.

Using the same Mac, ports, and cables my daughter’s Clara HD mounted fine whereas my KA1 wouldn’t even show up on the USB chain, never mind mount, despite it taking a charge while connected. Whatever went wrong on the 4.17.x firmware updates on my KA1 was corrected with the latest firmware.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #10
Maxine2
Maxine2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2
Well, I am having the exact same issue with my kobo Aura h20 edition 2. I really hope I don't have to wait till the next update for the problem to correct. I am hating this. I am never going to wi-fi update again!
Maxine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine2 View Post
Well, I am having the exact same issue with my kobo Aura h20 edition 2. I really hope I don't have to wait till the next update for the problem to correct. I am hating this. I am never going to wi-fi update again!
What version of the firmware is it running now, have you power cycled all devices and swapped in different known-working data cables, have you tried connecting it to a different computer/not using a hub/using a hub?

AFAIK I've been on all of the latest versions at some point - also with an H2O2 - and had no connection issues at all.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Kobo Aura One not mounting on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine2 View Post

Although there are many reasons why you and I may be seeing a similar problem, the one way you can rule out the OS being at fault is to reformat your kobo and reinstall the updates. If a database error or glitch occurred during an update in the past, then this will fix that problem. If I had thought to do that in the beginning, I could’ve save myself a lot of investigation

Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #13
douglasdd
douglasdd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 edition 2
Arrow Which USB port can matter! AND use a USB 2.0 hub!

I've had the similar problem of my Kobo failing to mount on my Mac

Setup
  • Kobo Aura H20 edition 2 (s/w ver 4.26.16704)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
  • Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Symptoms

When plugged in with any USB cable (old style rectangular USB-A to micro-USB),

The Kobo would quickly prompt: "Computer detected ... (Cancel) (Connect)",

Then report: "Connected & Charging ..."

BUT,
on the Mac there was no sign of the device appearing in any of:
  • left panel of Finder windows,
  • ${YourComputerName} folder in the Finder
    (the one that usually contains Network, MacintoshHD, Remote Disk)
  • output from the `mount` Terminal command
  • "USB" section of the System Information.app report (**)
    (from Apple Menu: About this Mac: System Report)
  • Also note that when I unplugged it the Mac did *not* complain that I should have unmounted it first

Tried different cables,
Tried different USB ports,
Tried with & without the Mac connected to power,
Tried with & without the Mac connected to other devices.

(**) Sometimes (maybe 1 time in 8), System Information.app would report:
Code:
eReader-4.26.16704:
    Product ID:	0x4227
    Vendor ID:	0x2237
    Version:	1.10
    Serial Number:	N867760082034
    Speed:	Up to 480 Mb/sec
    Manufacturer:	Kobo
    Location ID:	0x14200000 / 18
    Current Available (mA):	500
    Current Required (mA):	2
    Extra Operating Current (mA):	0
below the normal secions "Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad", and "Bluetooth USB Host Controller".

...BUT, it still didn't mount or become visible anywhere on the Mac.

...Also notice that in the report there was NO subtending section "Media:"

[U]Solution[U]

((NOTE: it typically takes fully 3-to-10 seconds for the disk / volume to show up in the Mac Finder after the Kobo reported "Connected and charging".))

Part 1: LEFT port only!

Believe it or not which USB port you use from your Mac *can* matter (depending on your mac model)!

It's hard to find infomation online, but different USB ports can have different power-delivery characteristics.

For my machine only the LEFT side USB port worked, not the right.
I checked more than 5 times on each side, and the results were consistent!

For any issue this subtle / finicky, you should also be sure that:[LIST=1][*]No other peripherals are connected,[*]your mac is plugged in to power,[*]use the *correct* power adapter, (for me this was an 85W MagSafe-2 brick, not the newer 60W bricks that are more common)

Part 2: Connect via an exernal USB 2.0 hub!

What finally worked for me was connecting through a old USB 2.0 HUB that I found in the bottom of the disused cables, connectors, & chargers drawer:

Targus brand travel USB hub, model ACH112US

I connected the HUB only to the Mac & the Kobo, not to it's own external power brick -- that was lost long ago

System Information.app report from when it finally worked:
Code:
USB 3.0 Bus:

Host Controller Driver:	AppleUSBXHCILPTH
PCI Device ID:	0x8c31
PCI Revision ID:	0x0005
PCI Vendor ID:	0x8086

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:
        Product ID:	0x0274
        Vendor ID:	0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
        Version:	6.24
        Serial Number:	D3H62563891GHMFA86FS
        Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
        Manufacturer:	Apple Inc.
        Location ID:	0x14400000 / 3
        Current Required (mA):	500
        Built-In:	Yes

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:
        Product ID:	0x8290
        Vendor ID:	0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
        Version:	1.68
        Manufacturer:	Broadcom Corp.
        Location ID:	0x14300000

USB2.0 Hub:
        Product ID:	0x0608
        Vendor ID:	0x05e3  (Genesys Logic, Inc.)
        Version:	77.60
        Location ID:	0x14100000 / 19
        Current Required (mA):	100

eReader-4.26.16704:
                Product ID:	0x4227
                Vendor ID:	0x2237
                Version:	1.10
                Serial Number:	N867760082034