Notices

Old 10-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
CraftyClown
Enthusiast
CraftyClown began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
403 access errors when making changes via the server web ui

Afternoon all,

I have four calibre libraries on a remote server that I use OPDS to access so I can open on a kindle with KoReader.

I wanted to change the format of certain books, however when I try to do that via the web ui I get a 403 error that tells me 'Anonymous users are not allowed to make changes'

I'm a bit confused about how to access the web UI without being anonymous.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
CraftyClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyClown View Post
Afternoon all,

I have four calibre libraries on a remote server that I use OPDS to access so I can open on a kindle with KoReader.

I wanted to change the format of certain books, however when I try to do that via the web ui I get a 403 error that tells me 'Anonymous users are not allowed to make changes'

I'm a bit confused about how to access the web UI without being anonymous.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers
(Recently covered)
You must create a User Account in the Calibre content server
Preferences: Sharing over the net: User Accounts (a tab)

It is really unsafe to allow changes without a logon
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(Recently covered)
You must create a User Account in the Calibre content server
Preferences: Sharing over the net: User Accounts (a tab)

It is really unsafe to allow changes without a logon
So I don't think I have those options. I have Calibre server installed on a headless Linux machine, therefore any changes I make will need to be via command line I guess.

Are you referring to the content server built in the desktop app?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:24 PM   #4
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

So I've checked under --manage-users and I have correctly added a user called craftyclown added with write access.

So where I'm confused is opening the web ui is using an anonymous user.

Is this something to do with the OPDS access?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

The below is my calibre-server.service file

[Unit]
Description=calibre content server
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=craftyclown
Group=craftyclown
ExecStart=/opt/calibre/calibre-server --port=8082 /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Rich /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Kate /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Sonya /home/craftyclown/Calibre/Library/Mum

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Is there something obvious I'm missing?
Old 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
sorry
I don't use OPDS so I am of no further help
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The server uses http auth, whatever client you are using to read OPDS needs to support HTTP auth.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
sorry
I don't use OPDS so I am of no further help
Thanks theducks, forgetting all about OPDS does my service script look ok?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And you need --enable-auth passed to the server at a minimum in your startup script.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #10
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The server uses http auth, whatever client you are using to read OPDS needs to support HTTP auth.
My issue isn't with the OPDS side of things, that works fine.

My issue is not being able to change the format of files via the web UI. It sees me as an anonymous user and throws a 403 error

Do I need to change my service script in some way?
Old 10-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
And you need --enable-auth passed to the server at a minimum in your startup script.
Ah right, so is that the issue then?

I need --enable-auth to prevent the anonymous user
Old 10-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
CraftyClown
Enthusiast

So adding --enable-auth fixes the web UI for me. I can now edit things from the browser.

The problem is I can no longer use OPDS in KOReader. It crashes if I add the library and try to open it

Is there a way to have both working?
Old 10-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Like I said before, the OPDS client needs to supprt http auth, contactthe developers of KOReader and hopefully they will add support.