Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
ishiro
ishiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Books i can't close before finishing

Hi everyone,
I have been lately searching for books to read, especially sci fi ones in vain, i just can't finish the books i find even if they are said to be some of the best in the topic.
The latest books i couldn't finish were The city and the stars and Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, i found them to be very slow.
I tried short stories but i didn't like how the stories ends that fast

Exemple of books i totally enjoyed:
- Planet of the Apes by Boulle Pierre.
- The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas Alexandre
- I Am Legend by Matheson Richard
- Empire of the Ants by Bernard Werber.

So can you please suggest some breath taking books that i can't close before finishing? Thanks !
ishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I'm not much of a scifi expert, but here is a fun little utility. Just put in authors you do like and it will show authors who write in a similar vein. [http://www.literature-map.com]

From there, you can use http://fantasticfiction.co.uk to explore more about those authors.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Definitely agree with Planet of the Apes. To your list, I'd add:

The Stand by Stephen King
Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
March Upcountry by David Weber and John Ringo.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
If you like mysteries as well as sci-fi, you might consider The Disappeared by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. It's the first book in a series, but you'd know by the first one if you like the basic premise enough to read more of them. The main character is initially on the police force, so the first one reads like a police procedural. The big theme of the series is Earth's interaction with other planets' cultures and laws. There's also a personal storyline for the main characters. I really liked this series, although I'm not sure it's really in line with the books you listed as having enjoyed.

The first...7 or so?...were released by one of the BPHs, but they dropped the series. Now she's made them all available, plus at least a couple new ones, on Smashwords.

She also has a series that begins with Diving the Wreck. I thought the basic storyline sounded really interesting, but she's writing it in first-person, present tense, and that's a deal-breaker for me. I couldn't get beyond the first couple pages.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 07-13-2013 at 09:04 PM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Axiomatic, by Greg Egan.

This is a short story collection, but the author has expanded on some of the ideas in novels, e.g. Permutation City.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #7
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Give Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein a go.
The first time I read it, I couldn't put it down and read the whole thing in one sitting

Last edited by AlbertaCowboy; 07-13-2013 at 11:57 PM.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #8
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Wool by H. Howey (there's even a thread on MR).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
This is a tough question because one person's gripping read is another person's dull ramble through irrelevant tangents.

Personally, I get sucked in most by Lois McMaster Bujold books. I'm constantly picking up a well-read favorite to see how she handled Character Conflict X or Plot Development Y and... five hours later, there I am, skipping dinner to read one more chapter of a book I already know the ending to. Paladin of Souls is a particularly notorious culprit.

Other books that simply will not let me go include Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, and Jane Yolen's Dragon's Blood.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I couldn't stop reading these:
The Mote In God's Eye Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
King David's Spaceship Jerry Pournelle
Deathworld, The Stainless Steel Rat Harry Harrison
Ranks of Bronze David Drake
Island In the Sea of Time S.M.Stirling
Dragon's Egg Robert L. Forward
Lest Darkness Fall L. Sprague de Camp
Agent of Change Sharon Lee and Steve Miller
Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen H. Beam Piper
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Clarke did indeed write some classics of the genre, but I think the basic problem you are experiencing is based off of the fact that a lot of what Clarke wrote was world building. Most of his novels (until the latter part of his career) are one offs, and thus his entire world must be built for the story he is telling.

In contrast, you might have more luck with writers who write lots of different stories in the same Universe.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
ishiro
ishiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Clarke did indeed write some classics of the genre, but I think the basic problem you are experiencing is based off of the fact that a lot of what Clarke wrote was world building. Most of his novels (until the latter part of his career) are one offs, and thus his entire world must be built for the story he is telling.

In contrast, you might have more luck with writers who write lots of different stories in the same Universe.

--
Bill
Yes Bill, i think that's exactly why i can't finish Clarkes books.
I'm reading Flower for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, and i just love it, thanks all for your suggestions, keep it coming please
ishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishiro View Post
I'm reading Flower for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, and i just love it, thanks all for your suggestions, keep it coming please
I figured you were going to be overwhelmed with suggestions, so I wasn't going to reply. But with a "keep it coming," here goes...

I found Replay by Ken Grimwood to be un-put-downable, literally. I stayed up almost all night to finish it.

Kindle
Nook
Kobo
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishiro View Post
The book was made into a top film too, Charly starring Cliff Robertson.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Have you read John Wyndham novels, such as The Day of the Triffids, The Midwich Cuckoos, The Kraken Wakes, The Chrysalids etc? I'm sure you'd find them rivetting.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote