Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS T2, iPhone 6, Cybook Orizon, Cybook Gen3
horizontal line on screen of Kobo Aura One

I've just got a brand new Kobo Aura One (firmware 4.1.7729) and I've used it for a few hours a day for some days.

Recently, a horizontal line appeared on screen. Whatever I do, it doesn't seem to go away.
It's always staying there (while reading, on the home screen, on the setting screens, etc.).

Stuff I've already tried:
tinkering with the light settings, rebooting, leaving the device powered off all night long, displaying images and then text, setting the screen refresh at every page turn or after 6 pages, doing a reset to factory settings.

Stuff I haven't tried:
doing a complete discharge/recharge cycle.

Any ideas about how to fix this (assuming it's something actually fixable)?

Last edited by sbin; 10-28-2016 at 01:45 PM.
sbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It looks like a hardware problem and there's nothing you can do IMO except ask Kobo to replace it :-(
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I'd agree with the above. That definitely looks like a hardware problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
It's probably a hairline crack in the screen. They have a glass substrate.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
alizarin
Enthusiast
alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One
e-ink screen is cracked? would replace
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 03:24 AM   #6
sbin
Voracious reader
sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.sbin is less competitive than you.

That's it, then.
I'll bring it back to the store and ask if they can replace it (they should, but things don't always go so smoothly).

Thank you guys
Old 10-29-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm not at all convinced it's a crack - there's no diagonal or curved component, and the rest of the screen is working.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I had this same problem when I brought a Glo HD last year. Eventually I had to return it as it just stopped working (although I don't know whether that was because of the screen or if something else was wrong with it). Kobo told me at the time that a line like that was very likely to be a broken substrate which is something that can't be fixed. I remember the disappointment at the time as well as the frustration of the return process as the place I brought it from thought I had deliberately damaged it (needless to say I've not shopped there again). I hope you're able to either fix it or get a replacement/refund.
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not a physical crack in the screen. Looks like a problem with the screen controller to me. Definitely a replacement issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Doesn't look like a cracked substrate to me. They are almost never a perfectly straight line for the length of it and the chances of it not propagating to edge of the screen on least one side or the other is also small. Virtually every time you see a perfectly straight line it's turned out to be a controller failure or something other than a cracked substrate.
Either way it needs to be returned/exchanged.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
sbin
Voracious reader

I got it replaced, and my new one has a perfect screen.

(It's a rough transition from my "old" PRST2, but I'll manage )

Tags
kobo aura one