Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
When is a book really updated? Data cached?

I love the easy it is sending books to the reader via dropbox.

But, I have noticed that if I do an update to the epub and put the new one in dropbox, it stills seems to be the old one on the reader.

At least it looks like it.

Before I go down the path of doing a bunch of test to try to figure out what happens when, I'm sure others have done the same thing before me. Is there any writeup about this? Or any details about books.db?

For example:

I put the epub in dropbox, sync on the reader and open the book. I delete the book on the reader, sync, and it removes from dropbox. I change something in css, or add an <p>-line, put the updated epub in dropbox, sync on the ereader, open it. It does not show the new changes.

Is the books cached? And not cleared even when deleted?
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does seem the book is still in memory/cache even after it's deleted by the user.

Restarting the device after the delete and before the sync of the new book makes the new book appear.

It's a bit of a bummer. To be able to continously update a book and check on the reader without having to restart it would be very useful.

Anyone know how to force a re-read of a book?
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't have any recent devices, so I can't look for myself. The whole idea of caching entire ebooks seems crazy. Are you sure that is really what is going on? Did you delete the ebook from within the Library app, or some other way? Maybe there are two copies on your system in different locations, and you are mixing them up. You should be able to get further information in the Library app, like the full path to the ebook.
Finally, others saw similar behaviour when their internal memory was failing and the system switched it to read-only mode. You should check to see if that is also happening on your system.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
patrik
Guru

I have no idea exactly what is going on. Just reporting as I see it (hoping someone else already tested these things out). (I sent an email to pocketbook-support.)

I deleted from within the library app. There are no appearant copies from the GUI (have not searched the file system).

I have added/removed and used the reader and nothing give any indication that there is a problem with the internal memory, but I will keep an eye open .

Do you have dropbox support on your device? If you put an epub there, read it on the reader, and later edit the epub on the computer, does the change appear on the reader (after a new sync)?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My latest device is an Inkpad 1, which is far from new. I also don't use dropbox, So, perhaps someone else with a newer system can answer your questions, because I don't think my tests would be much help to you.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
selmerry
selmerry began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3 (632)
My advice would be to delete it from Dropbox first, sync it so that it deletes from the device. Then edit, add to Dropbox and sync again. Have been doing this with touch hd 3 and always get the new file
selmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #7
patrik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmerry View Post
My advice would be to delete it from Dropbox first, sync it so that it deletes from the device. Then edit, add to Dropbox and sync again. Have been doing this with touch hd 3 and always get the new file
I have done exactly this, and it does not update the book. Are you sure you don't restart the reader in between?

What firmware are you using?

It would be interesting if it's different on the latest f/w on Inkpad3 and HD3.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
On my HD Touch (v1) - in order for the reader to recognise a change in a book I have downloaded from my dropbox cloud storage I always have to reboot the reader.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
patrik
Guru

Thanks church mouse. It would seem that they don't flush the memory/cache/footprint of books when they should be deleted.

I reported this to Pocketbook some time ago. It would be good if more did that in order for them to motivate putting resources to fix this.