Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Roseweave
Enthusiast
Roseweave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, Nook HD
How to access regular android menu options on stock rom?

I'm trying to avoid flashing a new Rom because really I'm happy with how the current one functions.

Unfortunately there are some drawbacks - I seem to be missing the normal buttons you would get on an android phone. This limits the functionality of some apps that require a menu button. There is a small panel with a back and search button, but never a menu. Is there a way to modify it so it does?

On my Nook STG I installed Button Savior but that requires root. From what I gather, rooting the stock ROM could force the Nook to reset itself so I'm wary of that. I do really want to be able to install the Humble Bundle games though, which requires the ability to install non market apps(is there a backdoor for this?).
Roseweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
You do not have to root or install a new ROM to enable sideloading of apps. It can be enabled with a simple flash to the stock ROM. See the first post in this thread for instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2062613

If you do want root, that post also includes another mod that is easily flashed to stock, enabling root and minimizing the possibility of the nook resetting itself. The only downside of that current mod is that it changes the boot image so that the cyanogenmod logo briefly flashes on the screen. I have rooted stock but use leapinlar's earlier mod, which doesn't include the safeguard against the nook resetting, because it keeps the original boot sequence. I have yet to have my Nooks reset themselves, but then I am very careful about allowing other apps access to root.

Quote:

Unfortunately there are some drawbacks - I seem to be missing the normal buttons you would get on an android phone. This limits the functionality of some apps that require a menu button. There is a small panel with a back and search button, but never a menu. Is there a way to modify it so it does?
I am not sure what you are referring to. Android's stock buttons are back, home, and the recent drawer. The Nook has all that with either the software or hardware buttons. I have over 300 apps on both my Nook HD and HD+ and have yet to run across an app which doesn't navigate properly.

Which app are you talking about?

I'm glad you like your HD and think you made a good decision. I think the 7" screen is the most versatile of all sizes and is the sweet spot between portability and functionality.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert