Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM   #2446
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Oh, good. I've got that on my short list.

Charlie.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #2447
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Tom Sharpe is an old favorite of mine, but this is the first time I've listened to him on audio; Blott on the Landscape read by David Suchet. Most enjoyable; the dialogue in particular translates well. As funny as I remember it and an excellent listen.
I'm a big fan of the Tom Sharpe books, and recently reread all of the Wilt series. I'm sure you are aware that David Suchet played Blott in the BBC TV adaptation.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:11 PM   #2448
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm a big fan of the Tom Sharpe books, and recently reread all of the Wilt series. I'm sure you are aware that David Suchet played Blott in the BBC TV adaptation.
Hah! I had no clue. I wasn't even aware there were BBC shows of Sharpe's novels. Most things can be accessed these days; what did you think of the television presentation?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #2449
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They don't appear to be available here in Canada.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #2450
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Hah! I had no clue. I wasn't even aware there were BBC shows of Sharpe's novels. Most things can be accessed these days; what did you think of the television presentation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
They don't appear to be available here in Canada.
It's some years since I watched it, but remember it as being very good, with a great cast. Don't know if you can access the link below, this looks to have all the episodes from season one (there was only one season) https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ha5we.

Last edited by orlok; 02-01-2019 at 04:57 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #2451
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
It's some years since I watched it, but remember it as being very good, with a great cast. Don't know if you can access the link below, this looks to have all the episodes from season one (there was only one season) https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ha5we.
Cool, thanks! (And yes, it appears it will allow me to watch them.)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #2452
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Finished up Quest for Lost Heroes. Highly recommended as I've said in the past, the combination of story and narrator really matches each other nicely.

Next up is Revenge of the Damned, book 5 in the Sten series by Alan Cole and Chris Bunch. This is a series that I really liked and book 5 is probably my favorite of the series. Oddly, I had worked my way through the first four books several years ago, then the rest of the series disappeared from audible for a number of years. I'm not sure why, but when I noticed this book was available again, I bought it and it's finally percolated it's way back up to the top of my to be listened to list.
Well, I figured out why the series disappeared and then reappeared with a new narrator. The original narrator is pretty bad. The new narrator (Jerry Sciarrio) is much better.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #2453
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tom Sharpe is an old favorite of mine, but this is the first time I've listened to him on audio; Blott on the Landscape read by David Suchet. Most enjoyable; the dialogue in particular translates well. As funny as I remember it and an excellent listen.
This was hilarious; high marks. I wish Suchet had a larger audiography; he is wonderful, made for humorous books, I'd say. I'm not interested in Christie.

Quote:
I'm definitely going to look at this; I'll wait a bit to let my immediate memory of the book subside. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #2454
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Currently listening to First King of Shannara (nearly done). Excellent book. I'm going through the whole series this year in anticipation of Terry Brooks' planned completion of the series in 2020. Once done with this book, I'll be back with the 87th Precinct series by Ed McBain (up to Ax). I have Kindle Unlimited until near the end of March (.99 for the entire 3 months) and the audiobooks come along with them!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #2455
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm enjoying Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead, both for its descriptions of life in New Orleans, and the "gritty" narration that fits perfectly! You gotta be into "quirky" for this one though.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #2456
jackjones02
jackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melonjackjones02 knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: amazon kindle paperwhite
I am listening this Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink.

Last edited by issybird; 02-10-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Remove blog link.
jackjones02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #2457
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I listened to The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides, already anointed as the big thriller of the year. It doesn't quite live up to the hype--at least not for a devout (and jaded) reader of suspense thrillers like me--but it comes close, and it's quite satisfying and well crafted.

This is a dual narration--the patient (who inexplicably murders her husband and subsequently refuses to speak--her POV sections are her diary entries) and her therapist (who wants to know why). I recommend it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #2458
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I've just finished Summer Lightning, one of Wodehouse's Blandings novels, read by John Wells. Not one of the better Wodehouse novels as nothing much happened; I also wasn't crazy about Wells. I ended up listening to him at 1.25X speed, which did wonders for the dialogue.

I've started Steinbeck's Travels with Charley, his travel book about seeing America with his poodle. It's read by Gary Sinise and so far it's delightful. ,

Last edited by issybird; 02-13-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #2459
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I've started Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie, his travel book about seeing America with his poodle. It's read by Gary Sinise and so far it's delightful. ,
That's been on my TBR for ages, but somehow never bubbled up to the top. I'll be curious to hear what you think.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #2460
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I have Kindle Unlimited until near the end of March (.99 for the entire 3 months)...
I had that 3 months for 99 cents KU deal. Expired in October. Then I went for a month without KU, then found another identical offer so I signed up for that one. This second one expires in four days. I see you have one of those deals that expires in March. So they must be quite frequent.

So my question is, "Is there ever a time when you can't find one of these KU deals? And, does Amazon ever limit you in how many you can take advantage of?" I've had two deals, not quite back to back, but only separated by a month. I guess I should start looking for the next deal.

KU for 99 cents for 3 months is worthwhile. I don't think it would be worthwhile at full price however. Not for me with my slower reading speed.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations