Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #1
coneheadZombie
coneheadZombie began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+Reader (Android)
Question about fonts and character .

While creating my first ebook i saw that a particular character wasnt been shown across some readers .

These are the characters : 「 and 」(left and right corner bracket).

Is this because of varying fonts in there readers ? also is there any way to fix it ?

Thanks in advance.
coneheadZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneheadZombie View Post
These are the characters : 「 and 」(left and right corner bracket).
These characters are typically only used in CJK fonts and are only supported by readers/apps with CJK support.
You'll have to embed a suitable font.
If your book doesn't contain any other CJK characters, you also might want to subset the embedded font to keep the file size down.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Is this a Maths book?

Because there's also Ceiling/Floor characters, which are used for rounding up or down:

⌈3.4⌉ = 4

or

⌊3.4⌋ = 3

and look eerily similar to the CJK brackets used for quotes.

Quote:
Is this because of varying fonts in there readers ? also is there any way to fix it ?
Like Doitsu said, you'll typically have to embed a font when using more "rare" characters.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
coneheadZombie
coneheadZombie began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+Reader (Android)
Guys, Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Is this a Maths book?
Because there's also Ceiling/Floor characters, which are used for rounding up or down:
This not a maths books, im making a epub of a light novel. these are CJK characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If your book doesn't contain any other CJK characters, you also might want to subset the embedded font to keep the file size down.
This book contains of Japanese text( other characters excluding these).

Do you know which font might me suitable for embedding ?

also how do i fix a particular for <p> in all devices ? do i have to add it in the css for <p> ?
coneheadZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Doitsu
Wizard
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
List of CJK fonts
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
This book contains of Japanese text( other characters excluding these).

Hmmm, I'm not too familiar with Asian fonts. I only work with English + Latin-based languages.

Maybe Source Han Serif + Source Han Sans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_Han_Serif

or the Noto fonts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noto_fonts

Those were designed by Adobe+Google.

When embedding fonts, you have to make sure the License is an Open License and allows embedding.

Quote:
also how do i fix a particular for <p> in all devices ? do i have to add it in the css for <p> ?
You can see the MobileRead Wiki for an example:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EPu...Font_embedding

What you have to do is add the OTF files into the EPUB, then add a few lines of CSS:

Code:
@font-face { 
	font-family: "Source Han Sans";
	font-weight: normal;
	font-style: normal;
	src: url(../Fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular.otf);
}
You have to adjust that for bold + italic + bold/italic (and whatever other types you are embedding).

Then you have to add a little line to your <p> in the CSS:

Code:
p { 
	font-family: "Source Han Sans", serif;
	[...]
}
What this says is for every paragraph "use the 'Source Han Sans' font" + "if that doesn't exist, use the serif font".

If the font then displays correctly in Sigil/Calibre, then it's recommended to Subset the font in order to make the font files much smaller (it will only keep the characters your book actually uses).

In Calibre's Editor, you can Tools > Subset embedded fonts.

Or in Sigil, there's Toxaris's "ePUB Optimizer" plugin.

Or various other font subsetting tools out there.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 02-12-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote