Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 10:57 PM   #481
net-buoy
Enthusiast
net-buoy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone have a link for a 64 bit version of Kindle for Mac <1.25?

FYI, it looks like there was no 1.24 for Mac, and 1.25 has been pushed since 12/18...

My copy of 1.25 for Mac was working fine up until this week, when suddenly Calibre began converting Amazon files to KFX-ZIP. I can't tell what the specific cause of the breakdown was (simply newly configured books?).

However, reinstalling 1.19 (a 32 bit app?) allows much of the same functionality that was available earlier.
net-buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #482
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
The "specific cause of the breakdown" was that the DeDRM plugin does not work beginning with 1.25. See the updated info in the first post.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:59 PM   #483
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by net-buoy View Post
Does anyone have a link for a 64 bit version of Kindle for Mac <1.25?
Version 1.25.x is the first 64 bit version released for the Mac. This may be a problem for Mac users wanting to upgrade to a 64-bit only OS later this year.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #484
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
nevermind

Last edited by odamizu; 03-14-2019 at 08:42 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #485
micstregatto
micstregatto began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for pc
I just upload the version 1.17 kindle for pc, I try to read my ebooks on Calibre but it do not open my books... so, Consequently, I can't convert these in pdf because at first Calibre don't read my ebook, and If I try to upload plugin the program tell me that ebook is using a DRM (of course). The format of my ebook is KFX.
micstregatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #486
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Detailed help with DRM removal isn't permitted at MobileRead. But do note that Version 1.17 of Kindle for PC will not download KFX format ebooks, so you didn't download that book using Kindle for PC 1.17.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM   #487
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by micstregatto View Post
I just upload the version 1.17 kindle for pc, I try to read my ebooks on Calibre but it do not open my books... so, Consequently, I can't convert these in pdf because at first Calibre don't read my ebook, and If I try to upload plugin the program tell me that ebook is using a DRM (of course). The format of my ebook is KFX.
Did you remove the books from your local Kindle library and then re-download the books using K4PC 1.17?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:12 AM   #488
seba73
seba73 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Version 1.17.1 of Kindle for Mac not permitting "download"

I have kept the 1.17.1 Kindle version for Mac running on my machine.
However, it appears that Kindle doesn't "download" new books anymore. The menu item "download" is greyed out... and right clicking on the particular item in the Kindle reader doesn't show any "download" option anymore.
When I go to the last page of the book, Kindle keeps showing it at 99% downloaded. In my local "kindle content" folder I cannot see any new file downloaded, either.
Has anybody else run into this issue?
Is this is a way of trying to push everyone into upgrading the Kindle reader first, before one can fully download new purchases?
seba73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #489
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seba73 View Post
The menu item "download" is greyed out... and right clicking on the particular item in the Kindle reader doesn't show any "download" option anymore.
I have seen that happen in Kindle for PC when a download fails. Try this: Exit the Kindle for Mac program. Restart it and right click on the problem book. Choose "Remove from device". Then right click again and choose "Download".

Also, try the same on a different book. It might just be one problematic book.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #490
Jaws
JCL Punch-Card Collector
Jaws began at the beginning.

Device: Aggressively Device Independent
Clarification question:

After updating A Certain Other Tool to 6.6.2 (released today), can one safely install Kindle for PC version 1.25 and the KFX Input Tool, and expect to import newly downloaded KFX-ZIP files from Amazon in to Calibre and output them as .epubs (or whatever other format)? Several messages and "release notes" both here and elsewhere sort of imply that this should now be possible, but nobody either (a) actually confirms or denies it, or (b) explains what workarounds might be necessary to make this work.
Jaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #491
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I think that's a question for Apprentice Alf.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #492
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

The information in the first post of this thread about what will and will not work with various versions of Kindle for PC/Mac is still accurate.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #493
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Clarification question:

After updating A Certain Other Tool to 6.6.2 (released today), can one safely install Kindle for PC version 1.25 and the KFX Input Tool, and expect to import newly downloaded KFX-ZIP files from Amazon in to Calibre and output them as .epubs (or whatever other format)? Several messages and "release notes" both here and elsewhere sort of imply that this should now be possible, but nobody either (a) actually confirms or denies it, or (b) explains what workarounds might be necessary to make this work.
I suggest you check the FAQs at github. They seem to have been updated at the same time as 6.6.2 was released.

In particular, the new line

"Do NOT use Kindle for PC/Mac version 1.25 or later. The tools don't current[sic] work with those versions."

Not very grammatical, but clear enough, I think.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #494
legitimateliv
legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.legitimateliv can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 7th gen
FWIW, I'm at Kindle for Mac 1.25.2 and the previous DRM removal tools work for me. I just need to set sudo chmod -x ......./renderer-test and the kindle for mac app downloads single-file azw instead of the azw.res or azw.md I see with chmod +x ..../renderer-test
legitimateliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #495
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitimateliv View Post
FWIW, I'm at Kindle for Mac 1.25.2 and the previous DRM removal tools work for me. I just need to set sudo chmod -x ......./renderer-test and the kindle for mac app downloads single-file azw instead of the azw.res or azw.md I see with chmod +x ..../renderer-test
That's really interesting. What macOS are you on? I am on 10.13 High Sierra.

I downloaded K4Mac 1.25.2 and downloaded a few ebooks. As expected, I got what I think was KFX — an azw file along with a voucher file, azw.res, azw.md, etc. Alf didn't like any of this.

I then ran chmod -x.

Re-downloading my ebooks actually gave me ... kcr files! (which Alf didn't like either). What's really interesting is that first the file had an azw extension, then a few seconds later the extension changed to kcr (I'm guessing an azw file was downloaded first, then a kcr file immediately after, then the azw was immediatley deleted). I tried to capture the azw file before it changed to kcr, but it happened too fast and I failed every time.

I am back to 1.23.1, getting azw3/KF8 as desired. But curious how you were able to get an azw3/KF8 file with 1.25.2 that worked with Alf.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc