Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
John Ringo

I first read John Ringo back in 2000, with his mainline Posleen War books, and liked them a lot. Then I read the Empire of Man series that he co-wrote with David Weber and liked those a lot. But then, I found his spin off series uninteresting (Cally's War and the Council Wars) and his Paladin of Shadows series pretty much clinched the deal for me. Ringo was off my reading list.

I decided to take a chance on Ringo again when he came out with his Black Tide Rising series, and really liked it. That lead me to try the Troy Rising series and found that I liked that one as well. When he came out with his Monster Hunter Memoirs, I really liked those (just finished the last as an ARC), so I went back to the Looking Glass series, which I had because they were included in the Baen ebook monthly bundles. Nope, still didn't care for them.

That's a fairly unique experience for me. I can't really think of any other author where I liked their initial books, then put out a group of books that I didn't care for, and after almost a decade, started to put out books that I liked again. I can think of authors who I liked at first, and then lost interest in. I can think of authors who I generally liked but put out a book or two that I didn't care for, but none that I had that extreme of a reaction to.

Anyone else have that experience? For that matter, how do others hear feel about Ringo's various books?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Strangely, I have similar thoughts about Ringo, but on mostly different series. It took me three tries to get interested in There Will Be Dragons, but I've never found any interest in the Black Tide stuff. Somehow I've taken that to be his take on a modern zombie story, and I'm much too overloaded with that to try it. Posleen stuff was interesting, but the later spinoffs went too far.

The Monster Hunter stuff is ok, but based on a whole series that just *starts* off way too far, and I probably won't re-read. I actually like the Looking Glass series.

There's a post up today on Tor.com that talks about Steve Stirling, and I have similar thoughts about his work. I really liked the Island trilogy, and initially thought the "emberverse" spinoffs could be interesting, but quickly got way too mystical for something that started off in a fundamentally SF way. I love his stand-alones Conqueror and Peshawar Lancers - Wish he might try more new ideas instead of piling on to things I'm not going to read. He had another early collaboration with Shirley Meier (and one other that I've forgotten....) that had some interesting threads.

Even Harry Turtledove had a couple of series I like, and others that I don't feel I want to re-read.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:43 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I cannot for the life of me read Ringo. I find his writing clunky in the extreme, and a giant yawn.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
He's like a guilty pleasure for me. I mostly enjoy his work but some of it just appeals to my inner pre-teen boy. A co-writer like Weber limits his self-destructive drive. A good editor probably would as well, if he let them. Writing for an audience is always partly an ego trip. "Let me tell you what is on my mind." He just gets infantile and rant-y when he lets go of the reins and lets the horse go wild.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote