Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
@darkbreath: would probably have to see what cmake options you used to build Sigil (I'm assuming it's at least been built from source since the 0.9.5 tag). Are you overriding any settings with environment variables when launching Sigil? Unless you specifed the -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS=1 option with cmake, Sigil should have built hunspell from its own sources (and would automatically be available unless you modified the files after installation).

The gumboc error is quite baffling. Does Sigil function normally otherwise? Is the spellchecker working to highlight misspelled words in Code View?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-20-2016 at 08:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
darkbreath
Enthusiast
darkbreath began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there. Maybe some background information will help. I just want to say I am not a programmer and therefore had significant difficulty compiling Sigil from source, which I unfortunately had to do with Linux. To be quite honest, I was surprised Sigil compiled at all. I would appreciate any help correcting compilation mistakes I may have made.

I used this page as my general guide: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...dingOnLinux.md

I managed to get through every section except "Advanced Stuff."

However, I deviated on several occasions when I had to:

1. When installing Pillow, I got some error. I googled the error, and found a page that suggested these commands:

sudo apt-get build-dep python-imaging
sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev

I installed those dependencies and it worked again.

2. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04. The version of cmake in official repositories is only about 2.8. I compiled and installed the latest version of cmake myself from cmake.org. I believe I have version 3.52. I followed cmake's readme instructions.

3. I was confused as to which python packages to install (3 or 3.4), so I installed BOTH when both were options. I am uncertain if this led to any problems. The packages this could have applied to are as follows:

python3
python3-dev
libpython3
libpython3-dev
python3-pip
python3-tk
python3-lxml
python3-six

I surmise this may have led to the wrong version of python being used during the plugin test?

4. I see -DUSE_SYSTEM_LIBS under "Advanced Stuff" in the Github guide I followed. If this is what you meant, I didn't touch it; I was only at the "Testing Sigil's Python plugin framework" section when I discovered those errors and posted for help.

Unfortunately I haven't tried the spell checker; I didn't think Sigil would work properly unless the errors were resolved.

As for the cmake command, the one I used was similar to the one in the guide but corrected for location of Qt:

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/opt/Qt5.4.2/5.4/gcc_64/lib/cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../sigil-src

I'm not sure if this made a difference, but I used Qt 5.5.1 (64-bit version).

Please help! I'm in over my head. If someone could just make a ppa for Linux it'd be great. Having to compile from source was like climbing a mountain with both feet tied together. Painful. But since I've gotten this far and Sigil is important for my work, I'll do what I have to do to fix it.

Last edited by darkbreath; 04-20-2016 at 03:02 PM.
darkbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:04 PM   #18
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@darkbreath: Since the error was most likely caused by the hunspell library, have you tried to install the hunspell package and a hunspell dictionary, e.g. hunspell-en-us?
Also install the FlightCrew plugin (or any other plugin written by KevinH/DiapDealer) and test it.
If it works fine, you can most likely ignore the testplugin error messages unless you plan to use a spellcheck plugin.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, building software on Ubuntu is fun.

I don't really know what packages etc. you need for that. I do know that Sigil is available in the Debian unstable repositories (but not yet in the current Debian release).
Give it a few years and Ubuntu might ship it too.

Arch Linux has had it since forever. And I maintain the sigil-git package for the Arch User Repository.

I've looked once or twice at how to package a Debian/Ubuntu package (for calibre), but couldn't really figure it out.
Maybe I could copy the version in Debian and turn it into a PPA. I hear they've got git dailybuild recipes now, and everything...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're not trying to use system libs, then no hunspell packages should need to be manually installed. They're included with Sigil (including the necessary dictionaries).

What's the gcc version on 14.04? Anything short of gcc 4.8 is probably asking for trouble with Sigil's C++11 requirements.

In addition to that--lets start simple. If the plugin framework can't find/use the hunspell library/dictionaries, lets make sure they're where they're supposed to be. It looks like you went with the default install prefix of /usr/local, so the libhunspell.so shared library should be located in /usr/local/lib/sigil directory (along with the libsigilgumbo.so file and the sigil binary).

The hunspell dictionaries should be in the /usr/local/share/sigil/hunspell_dictionaries directory (a bunch of .dic and .aff files).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-20-2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
darkbreath
Enthusiast
darkbreath began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry for the late reply. I'm happy to report that the problem was caused by a mistake in the way I ran Sigil. I made a novice mistake and tried to run Sigil right from the directory in which it was built. Running "sigil" (the sigil in the path variable) from Terminal or running Sigil using the shortcut (I didn't know one was created) fixed the problem completely. The problem was not related to language packages in any way.

One thing I am uncertain of is whether the Sigil shortcut is visible until the computer is started. The shortcuts of some newly installed programs can't be found via the dash until a restart, and I think Sigil might be one of these. It's not a big deal but if this is indeed the case, and if it's easy to fix, it might be helpful to new users to have the shortcut show up right away before a restart is done.

Thanks.
darkbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbreath View Post
One thing I am uncertain of is whether the Sigil shortcut is visible until the computer is started. The shortcuts of some newly installed programs can't be found via the dash until a restart, and I think Sigil might be one of these. It's not a big deal but if this is indeed the case, and if it's easy to fix, it might be helpful to new users to have the shortcut show up right away before a restart is done.
I've no idea if there's any way to force menus on various desktops environments to refresh after a new program is installed or not. But I'm pretty sure there's no way for me to make it happen through the "make, make install" process. All I can do is put the Sigil desktop file where the desktop environment can make use of it. The DE has to do the rest.

I don't typically have to restart before the shortcuts appear in the DE's menus. But I might have to log out and back in. There's a db of some kind that needs to update/refresh. I have no idea if it would show up after certain period of time has elapsed or not.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-23-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It is also dependent on the DE.

But yes, a logout/login should definitely cover any DE out there.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:17 PM   #24
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've no idea if there's any way to force menus on various desktops environments to refresh after a new program is installed or not. But I'm pretty sure there's no way for me to make it happen through the "make, make install" process. All I can do is put the Sigil desktop file where the desktop environment can make use of it. The DE has to do the rest.

xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
xdg-desktop-menu forceupdate
Thanks. I can at least tell users they can run this command after building/installing Sigil if Sigil has not yet appeared in their DE's menu. Provided they have xdg-utils installed, of course.