Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
ajkessel
Connoisseur
ajkessel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Generation
Automatically group and delete subscriptions?

I have a few news subscription sources sending daily updates to my Kindle Oasis via the email address. Is there any way (1) to have all those transmissions automatically grouped together on the Kindle (e.g., as periodicals, or in a "collection" on the device) and/or (2) to have old issues automatically deleted/archived?

I've seen a few questions like this in the forum that suggest likely neither is possible, but the discussions I found are 7-8 years old, so I wanted to see if I was missing something more recent.
ajkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, there is no control over what the kindle does, short fo jailbreaking it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #3
ajkessel
Connoisseur

OK, thanks for letting me know! Now at least someone else searching on this topic will know it's no more possible in 2019 than it was in 2011 .
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
ajkessel
Connoisseur

One related follow-up: even when the content is removed from the Kindle, it still sits in the cloud as a "Doc" in the Kindle Library. If you get daily newspapers, this quickly blossoms into hundreds of "Docs" -- is there any way short of selecting them one by one from the "Manage Your Content and Devices" page on the Amazon website to purge old editions from the cloud side of the library?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
ajkessel
Connoisseur

I recently noticed several new items on my Kindle that automatically grouped together various subscriptions I've been receiving through Calibre. For example, there is an item "Boston Globe Subscription" with subheading "7 issues" that includes Boston Globe issues I sent from Calibre from 2/13 through 2/20. I didn't do anything intentionally to cause this to happen -- it just appeared spontaneously for that subscription as well as the other three that I have been sending from Calibre. None of them have issues post-dating 2/20, which may correspond with a date that I reset my device although I'm not 100% sure.

So there does seem to be some way, either on the cloud side or on the device, for the issues sent by Calibre to be assembled into periodical subscriptions in the library.

Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there any way to manipulate it? Particularly to make new issues be added to these subscriptions rather than appearing on the device only as free-standing (doc) books?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you send books via email, amazon strips the periodical formatting from them before delivering tem to the kindle, which means they dont get recognized as periodicals anymore onthe Kindle. If you send them via USB using calibre instead, they should be grouped ont he Kindle automatically and you get the special periodical table of contents and other formatting.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
ajkessel
Connoisseur

Thanks! I see what happened now. When I reset my Kindle, I happened to connect it via USB, and Calibre apparently automatically synced up the periodicals in organized fashion when I did that through no specific action on my side. So it seems like the most efficient thing is to continue with email delivery but delete liberally, then occasionally sync via USB and all the back-issues will be there.

Tags
collection, kindle, periodicals, recipes, subscriptions