Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-06-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Buglet?

I have just noticed.

I was editing a book and had got near the end. I went to "remove unused stylesheet classes". This refused sayingr that the html was not well formed,

I then ran the well-formed check epub (F7). This produced no error. On further checking I found I had a "<<" in one of the files.

Shouldn't the well-formed check epub (F7) pick up such an error like the "remove unused stylesheet classes"?
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The F7 is a very basic check. It's limitations are why I have epubcheck and FlightCrew installed (on epub2, Flightcrew saves me from having to do a separate check for unused files).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
It should detect it. Preview should also have detected it. Please copy the exact xhtml (with the error) and zip it up and post it. I will try to see why the well-formed sanity check did not detect it and fix it.

Thanks,

KevinH

feel free to change the actual letters to gibberish if needed.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
It should detect it.
I just added an additional angle bracket to a </p>> tag and F7 didn't complain about it.

Spoiler:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>>
</body>
</html>

When I added it before <<p>, it also wasn't flagged.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I just added an additional angle bracket to a </p>> tag and F7 didn't complain about it.

Spoiler:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
  <p>&nbsp;</p>>
</body>
</html>

When I added it before <<p>, it also wasn't flagged.
epubcheck does not catch </p>>.. Is <p>> really an error?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 06:41 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
epubcheck does not catch </p>>.. Is <p>> really an error?
So long as gumbo has been allowed to change the extraneous > to an entity, then no, it's not (other than potential naked text outside of tags). Plus I have no idea if epubcheck concerns itself with (x)html(5) well-formedness strictures.

Without diving into it, my guess here is that gumbo is "fixing" the extra angle-bracket before the internal well-formed check is performed, whereas that's not happening with the "Remove Unused css Classes" feature. It's possible that something is (or isn't) getting flushed to disk before one or the other of those activities.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow! That's weird. Preview doesn't bomb with </p>> but it does with <<p. Sumpin's up!
Old 10-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It's being converted to an entity somewhere. When I Edit as Html with the inspector, I can see the entity..
Old 10-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
If you test it in W3C's Validation Service:

https://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

And give it XHTML with a "</p>>":

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
  <p>Test</p>
  <p>And here's an error.</p>>
</body>
</html>
you get a "character data is not allowed here" error.

If you feed it similar in HTML:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>

<body>
  <p>Test</p>
  <p>And here's an error.</p>>
</body>
no such error. It thinks it's fine...

If you do "<<p>" instead, both the XHTML1.1 + HTML5 checkers ping it.

Must be something obscure/weird in the HTML spec. Reminds me when I found that bug with the accidental <p">, and KevinH tracked it down. Turns out such a thing IS valid in HTML... but extremely poor practice.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-06-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I checked the python3lib sanitycheck.py code and it will treat "<<p>" as a spurious text "<" followed by a tag. And it will treat "</p>>" or "<p>>" as a tag followed by a spurious text ">".

I could detect both cases by verifying that the text returned from parsing does not contains an illegal > or < char when not a child of a CDATA tag.

So making sanity check detect these cases is doable. I will look into doing that.

FWIW, HTML5 parsing rules only require xml escaping a ">" in text if it would be considered to result in ambiguous parsing. Whereas the "<" character should always be xml escaped when used in attribute values and text. Under XHTML, both characters should always be xml escaped when used inside attribute values and text fields.

Last edited by KevinH; 10-06-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: updating
Old 10-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

This is now fixed in master. Well-Formed Check (sanitycheck.py) will now look for and detect missing xml escaping on '>' and '<' chars in text fields. So it will detect both '<<p>', '<p>>', and '</p>>' cases (of course on any tag).

Thank you for the bug report and helping to improve Sigil!