Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #31
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by impasto View Post
From what Hitch wrote, it sounds I should be able to get my fixed layout (without panels), as Im coding html myself, and not relying on KCC.
For HTML coding of manga check out Chapter 12 of the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines. The focus of that section is on virtual panels, but you can just leave out the coding for those if you don't need them.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #32
impasto
Enthusiast
impasto began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (phone), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
For HTML coding of manga check out Chapter 12 of the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines. The focus of that section is on virtual panels, but you can just leave out the coding for those if you don't need them.
thanks, will check it for sure. I looked at chapter 13 mostly, but there is interesting info in 12 too.
impasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #33
impasto
Enthusiast
impasto began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (phone), Kindle Paperwhite
Update: I just got my new Kindle Paperwhite.
For the benefit of future readers on mobileread with a goal similar to mine:
I downloaded several sample ebooks (directly from amazon store, and including manga) that appear as fixed layout: either without panels and with guided view. Both versions of fixed layout work fine on Paperwhite, including pinch zoom.
p.s. I'm not claiming every fixed layout ebook will work on Paperwhite, but those that I checked - do.
Well, I'm a happy camper today- I can get back to developing my ebook.
impasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by impasto View Post
Update: I just got my new Kindle Paperwhite.
For the benefit of future readers on mobileread with a goal similar to mine:
I downloaded several sample ebooks (directly from amazon store, and including manga) that appear as fixed layout: either without panels and with guided view. Both versions of fixed layout work fine on Paperwhite, including pinch zoom.
p.s. I'm not claiming every fixed layout ebook will work on Paperwhite, but those that I checked - do.
Well, I'm a happy camper today- I can get back to developing my ebook.
Okay, let me iterate this, for those that made an assumption:
  • Books made with Kindle Comic Creator, will work on the eInks.
  • Books made with Kindle Kids' book Creator, will work on the eInks (and more importantly, be ALLOWED to download to the eInks.
  • Books made with KC, using panel view, will NOT be allowed to be downloaded to the eInks--this is distinct and separate from the technical question about "can" they work;
  • Books made with KC, with PDFs, created as Print Layout, will not (same comment as above).

I also want to iterate--the FXL ebooks will work on the eInks. The problem is, Amazon has chosen NOT to allow them to be downloaded after purchase (or for samples). So, if you can download a file as a sample, it's fine. If you cannot, it's in one of the groups listed above.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
But probably need later than 3.5x FW? I can try a sample on my DXG if anyone has a link.
Though I find that Amazon seems to ignore that my Kindle Keyboard can do Publisher Fonts, i.e. works with KF8. They seem to send it the old mobi version of ebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But probably need later than 3.5x FW? I can try a sample on my DXG if anyone has a link.
Though I find that Amazon seems to ignore that my Kindle Keyboard can do Publisher Fonts, i.e. works with KF8. They seem to send it the old mobi version of ebooks.
And there it is.

You can only download, to the OLDER device, like the KK or the DXG, a file that has a MOBI component.

If you make a comic, or Print replica, etc., using KC or some of the later "DIY" programs, you don't GET a MOBI. You get a .kpf file, or a .ktc file, and from those, ain't no mobi made. And without a mobi, you can't load or buy or download, to the older devices.

It's my fault that this wasn't clear earlier. I should have explained the mobi component issue. The old KCC (Kindle Comic Creator) exported a MOBI. The old Kindle KBC (Kid's book creator), exported a mobi. Those are absolutely, positively buyable and readable on older devices.

BUT, anything made with the new panel view (Comics!) through KC, "ain't got no mobi" and that cannot be dl'ed to the older or eInk devices.

Hitch
Old 09-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #37
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Okay, let me iterate this, for those that made an assumption:
  • Books made with Kindle Comic Creator, will work on the eInks.
  • Books made with Kindle Kids' book Creator, will work on the eInks (and more importantly, be ALLOWED to download to the eInks.
  • Books made with KC, using panel view, will NOT be allowed to be downloaded to the eInks--this is distinct and separate from the technical question about "can" they work;
  • Books made with KC, with PDFs, created as Print Layout, will not (same comment as above).

I also want to iterate--the FXL ebooks will work on the eInks. The problem is, Amazon has chosen NOT to allow them to be downloaded after purchase (or for samples). So, if you can download a file as a sample, it's fine. If you cannot, it's in one of the groups listed above.

Hitch
?

This doesn't seem to line up with reality.

https://www.amazon.com/RIN-NE-Vol-13...s-manga&sr=1-2

Look at this not quite released manga. Note, the "available on these devices" clearly lists various eInk Kindles, like the Paperwhite. This is not usual to this title, feel free to check others suggested below it that are already out and you'll see the same thing. I have in the past downloaded them on my Kindle PW direct from the cloud.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
?

This doesn't seem to line up with reality.

https://www.amazon.com/RIN-NE-Vol-13...s-manga&sr=1-2

Look at this not quite released manga. Note, the "available on these devices" clearly lists various eInk Kindles, like the Paperwhite. This is not usual to this title, feel free to check others suggested below it that are already out and you'll see the same thing. I have in the past downloaded them on my Kindle PW direct from the cloud.
I don't believe that you read what I posted. I said that titles made with the old Kindle Comic Creator can be distributed to all devices. It doesn't matter WHEN it was published; what matters is what software was used to make the file. I have customers that use us for other types of publishing that are still using KCC and KKBC for their DIY books, for this reason--so that the books can still have eInk distribution.

Do you happen to have insider knowledge, about how this file was created, specifically? Do you know what this publisher used, to make that file? When you download it, what format are you downloading to your eINK?

ETA: For example, this book, by the same artist: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i0 says "readable on any device," but if you try to download a sample, that's flatly untrue. You can't download to a 1stGen Fire, a K2 Kindle, KC Reader, K4Mac. None of those can read that file. A first-gen Fire can't?????

Hmmmmm...so, I guess "Read on Any Device" doesn't actually mean that.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 09-19-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: ETA a link to another book.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
They download as AZW3 at the very least. You can't get mobi versions of them because mobi doesn't support the features to support them. So they don't work on devices that only support mobi like the Kindle Keyboard.

Read on any device is an ad for the Kindle App lol.

If you'll notice, there is a blue link for "available on these devices" and they list out what devices it works with. K2 Kindle is ancient, doesn't support AZW3, so is unsurprisingly not supported. The 1st gen Fire is a 9 year old lowend Android tablet running Android 2.3.3.

No, there's no way to do a comic to support ALL Kindle devices ever made, but you seemed pretty damn adamant before that they weren't deliverable to eInk devices at all regardless of how they were made.

No, you can't send a free sample to those devices but it works just fine on some of them. I can send a sample to my PC and it's seen in Kindle Cloud Reader and Kindle for Mac. I can buy it in the store and it'll work just fine and download from the cloud too.

No, I don't have insider knowledge.

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 09-20-2020 at 10:38 AM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Kindle Keyboard B008 at FW 3.4.3 (last version) does seem to to support KF8. The B009 (DXG) has less RAM, so no doubt that's why it never did and has a much older last Firmware.

Isn't Hitch claiming that one issue is WHICH version of the Comic Creating SW was used?
Personally I'd do each frame as an image so that on a big enough display an entire panel/page or at worse a row (on landscape) is visible but that on smaller or lower resolution the screens the image lines would wrap so only one cell across the screen. I'd make it as an epub2 and upload that to KDP.
I think that would work on ALL eink (assume maybe a minimum screen of 800 x 600?) and some would display entire?

I just sent an AZW from Calibre to the Kindle Keyboard. It does work, though you have to manually select Publisher Font, or it looks like a mobi. Definately an AZW file, not a dual mobi. Though not an Amazon AZW. Gutenberg epub edited and converted by Calibre. However, Amazon USA sends that Kindle a plain old mobi version of books, not the fancier KF8 / AZW / Embedded fonts versions.

I had so many weird small issues with docx and then Amazon told me just to upload epub2 to KDP. No issues since. Even claims enhanced Typesetting (KFX downloads).

Last edited by Quoth; 09-20-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: AZW
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
They download as AZW3 at the very least. You can't get mobi versions of them because mobi doesn't support the features to support them. So they don't work on devices that only support mobi like the Kindle Keyboard.

Read on any device is an ad for the Kindle App lol.

If you'll notice, there is a blue link for "available on these devices" and they list out what devices it works with. K2 Kindle is ancient, doesn't support AZW3, so is unsurprisingly not supported. The 1st gen Fire is a 9 year old lowend Android tablet running Android 2.3.3.

No, there's no way to do a comic to support ALL Kindle devices ever made, but you seemed pretty damn adamant before that they weren't deliverable to eInk devices at all regardless of how they were made.

No, you can't send a free sample to those devices but it works just fine on some of them. I can send a sample to my PC and it's seen in Kindle Cloud Reader and Kindle for Mac. I can buy it in the store and it'll work just fine and download from the cloud too.

No, I don't have insider knowledge.
FFS, AZW3 is the goddamned xfer format for MOBI for that sort of file! If I had known that we were going to discuss the OLDER software, then, fine, I would have qualified it.

I give up. You're right, I'm wrong, enjoy making your comics, using KC.

Hitch