Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Miranda View Post
When I finished reading it, Peggy Lee's classic rendition of Is That All There Is? the Lieber and Stoller song came to mind (the pair also wrote the immortal Hound Dog).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The biggest problem for me is when the same character says two things in a row, not in the same paragraph, without attribution in the second one. That always puts the brakes on my reading flow.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The biggest problem for me is when the same character says two things in a row, not in the same paragraph, without attribution in the second one. That always puts the brakes on my reading flow.

I once read a book (don't remember now what book it was) where that happened frequently. It was really confusing.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #19
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Re: dialogue without tags, I recently re-read The Sun Also Rises, the novel published in 1926 that launched Hemingway's career, if not the American Macho genre, and was struck by the modern feel of his dialogue. Not only was it clear (usually) who was speaking without tags, the avoidance of excessive use of "said," the most deadly of flow-killers, also worked. (Disclaimer: I am no fan of bull fighting, which has no place in a civilized society.)

- Alyssa
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #20
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
When I read The Sun Also Rises a couple of years ago I had trouble finding anything good to say about it, most especially the dialogue. But I realise now that there is something: I was never confused about who was speaking. So thanks for that. It turns out I'm no fan of Hemingway; reading The Sun Also Rises was part of my journey to discovering that.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #21
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm really not a fan either, but it does seem Hemingway's influence on modern writing style has been enormous. As to The Sun Also Rises, just as distasteful as the bull fighting is the liberal use of the n-word and not so subtle antisemitism, which apparently did not raise any eyebrows at the time. More generally, the shallowness and dissolution of the characters is depressing, although the last couple of chapters were well done and for me saved the book (as did all too few humorous and insightful snippets here and there).

- Alyssa
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find over-attribution more annoying than too little attribution in dialogue. If the author's not good enough at written dialogue to keep things clear without a a lot of "Bob said; John expounded; Alice wheedled"s being interjected, then adding them isn't likely to keep me reading either. Quite the opposite, in fact. If individual characters' voices can't be distinguished without constant prompting, then the author/book usually isn't for me.

McCormac's non-use of traditional conversational punctuation is a bit extreme for my taste, but it never really caused me any confusion. It's not the lack of punctuation that keeps me away from his books--in fact his characters' voices are quite distinct without it, in my opinion. I just can't connect with any of them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-07-2020 at 11:54 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:06 AM   #23
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur

I think what suckered me into The Road was a tout by Oprah Winfrey; about the same time I believe she extolled a book at least some of which later turned out to be made up. If she recommends a book, run, don't walk, to the nearest door (just my opinion).

- Alyssa
Old 07-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find over-attribution more annoying than too little attribution in dialogue. If the author's not good enough at written dialogue to keep things clear without a a lot of "Bob said; John expounded; Alice wheedled"s being interjected, then adding them isn't likely to keep me reading either. Quite the opposite, in fact. If individual characters' voices can't be distinguished without constant prompting, then the author/book usually isn't for me.

McCormac's non-use of traditional conversational punctuation is a bit extreme for my taste, but it never really caused me any confusion. It's not the lack of punctuation that keeps me away from his books--in fact his characters voices are quite distinct without it, in my opinion. I just can't connect with any of them.
Yes--to me, that's the larger problem. I simply...I don't care if it's Angela's Ashes or The Road...I just cannot connect at all to his characters. Not sure why, but...just don't.

On the aforementioned bullfighting--to me, "bullfighting" is simply cruelty with applause.

Hitch
Old 07-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
bout the same time I believe she extolled a book at least some of which later turned out to be made up.
Ah... the "memoir."

I enjoyed reading A Million Little Pieces. And I determined there was very little incentive for me to go to all the bother of "un-enjoying" it after learning it wasn't strictly autobiographical. I understand why so many might have been upset, but I've always viewed the label of "Memoir" (as opposed to autobiography) as an author's way of being able to hedge on reality a bit. Much like "narrative non-fiction." Even before the news broke, I had my doubts as to whether Frey's book was 100% non-fiction. Hell, I even bought and read the follow-up (and enjoyed it, too!) knowing full well it wasn't exactly gospel truth.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-07-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #26
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur

Your points are well made. I should not have in effect prejudged the book without having read it.

- Alyssa
Old 07-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #27
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
On the aforementioned bullfighting--to me, "bullfighting" is simply cruelty with applause.

Hitch
Yeah. Maybe if the odds were more like 50:50 ...
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Your points are well made. I should not have in effect prejudged the book without having read it.

- Alyssa
Oh, I understand the disappointment and critisism. People don't like finding out what they believed to be strictly biographical non-fiction was embellished and exaggerated to sell books. I'm just aware of how memoirs and narrative non-fiction are dealt with by agents and the publishing world in general. They WANT memoir authors to "spice things up." I lowered my expectations accordingly.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes--to me, that's the larger problem. I simply...I don't care if it's Angela's Ashes or The Road...I just cannot connect at all to his characters. Not sure why, but...just don't.

Hitch
Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt? Am I missing something?

I loved Angela’s Ashes, a wonderful memoir, but at this remove I can’t remember if there was anything hinky with the punctuation. I didn’t like his subsequent memoirs nearly as much, which is not atypical for me. Evelyn Waugh in a letter said something about how everyone’s got a good memoir of their childhood in them, and I’ve found that to be true more often than not. leading to disappointment when the story continued.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:49 PM   #30
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt? Am I missing something?

I loved Angela’s Ashes, a wonderful memoir, but at this remove I can’t remember if there was anything hinky with the punctuation. I didn’t like his subsequent memoirs nearly as much, which is not atypical for me. Evelyn Waugh in a letter said something about how everyone’s got a good memoir of their childhood in them, and I’ve found that to be true more often than not. leading to disappointment when the story continued.
Nope, I misspoke. That's what happens when I type too fast and think too slow.

What's the one I'm thinking of? The Crossing? Sugar... Now I'll have to go rummage though my bookcase to find it, or on my list. Sorry!

Hitch