Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 05:21 AM   #1
Henning
Enthusiast
Henning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Lightbulb Native install on NAS / Synology

Dear all

I would like to suggest a native build of calibre for Synology. I'm using a docker system on my NAS to run calibre - and it works but has several short comings.

I actually have no knowledge how difficult it would be to develop and then maintain another build. The Synology system is somehow close to Linux. ...

I would like to hear your opinion on this suggestion.

Yours
Henning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No clue about synology, sorry.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2020, 03:59 AM   #3
Boilerplate4U
Enthusiast
Boilerplate4U began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Henning, sorry for waking up an old thread I'd like to give my two cents on the subject.

Even if Synology DSM (DiskStation Manager) is based on BSD it's still a storage only solution without any native GUI besides the webadmin console thus you would have no use of a native Calibre port other than store the book library it self.

In other words it's better to use it as pure storage.
Boilerplate4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:09 AM   #4
fitnesspm
fitnesspm began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10
Calibre does work on Synology. Here is the information I found.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/co...ynology_ds214/
https://synocommunity.com/packages

Can you get Calibre 5 to work on Synology? I want to be able to highlight.
fitnesspm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitnesspm View Post
Calibre does work on Synology. Here is the information I found.
https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/co...ynology_ds214/
https://synocommunity.com/packages

Can you get Calibre 5 to work on Synology? I want to be able to highlight.
Neither of the Synology community packages (COPS and BicBucStriim) are calibre though the repository seems to have used the calibre icon for them. There are threads about both in the calibre Related Tools subforum. There are also a couple of threads about calibre and Synology, a search for Synology might help you to find them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm kind of curious what the use case would be for calibre native to a NAS? It's not as if you normally logon to the NAS and run an application; most of the time the interface is through a web interface.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote