Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2020, 01:07 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
And I tested the Kindle App for first time in years yesterday. Of course it looks similar to 5.13.3 but works completely differently. No way to import Collection names. It downloads ALL the books in a Collection, as defined on the Amazon website account.

It seems broken. By default it doesn't show your own locally added content, you've to change an option. Also contravenes EU privacy law.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #62
Gandulf
Zealot
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Does anyone know what bugs they fixed? Or did they create others now.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #63
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Are you saying that if you add a book to a collection when offline, it doesn't show up later when you go back online? Because I haven't experienced that. How long has it been since you tried? For me, while the new "Read" labels are great, they don't completely fill my needs, since I also keep track of the year in which a book is read.
What I saw was that I added and removed books from three collections on a frequent basis (usually: add to Unread, remove from Unread later on, add to Active; remove from Active, add to Read). I didn't compare the memberships of the cloud collections with the memberships of the non-cloud collections because, honestly, who has time to do that?

Then I got a new Kindle (Oasis 3), looked at the cloud side of the collections for the first time in years, and oh dear. Unread still had almost everything in it, and Active had a pile of ancient stuff that should have been removed long ago (and, on the other Kindle, clearly had been). The Read collection had a seemingly random pile of stuff in it, though all stuff I had at some time tried to add (just not all, or even most, of it).

In all, a feature that was implemented, never really tested, and that is a crawling mass of bugs -- just like almost every feature on the Kindle beyond basic reading (and, honestly, given the continuing bugs regarding turning pages and having only some of the text appear, perhaps not even that).

I like the Kindle but do they ever need to give it some serious debugging time. (They won't, of course.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #64
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
What I saw was that I added and removed books from three collections on a frequent basis (usually: add to Unread, remove from Unread later on, add to Active; remove from Active, add to Read). I didn't compare the memberships of the cloud collections with the memberships of the non-cloud collections because, honestly, who has time to do that?

Then I got a new Kindle (Oasis 3), looked at the cloud side of the collections for the first time in years, and oh dear. Unread still had almost everything in it, and Active had a pile of ancient stuff that should have been removed long ago (and, on the other Kindle, clearly had been). The Read collection had a seemingly random pile of stuff in it, though all stuff I had at some time tried to add (just not all, or even most, of it).

In all, a feature that was implemented, never really tested, and that is a crawling mass of bugs -- just like almost every feature on the Kindle beyond basic reading (and, honestly, given the continuing bugs regarding turning pages and having only some of the text appear, perhaps not even that).

I like the Kindle but do they ever need to give it some serious debugging time. (They won't, of course.)
Huh. I'm sorry that you had that experience, but I definitely can't reproduce it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Are there any gotchas with 5.13.3?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #66
binaryhermit
Wizard
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen, so-called "All-New Kindle" (AKA 10th gen)
Not that I've noticed on my 10th gen basic or my Oasis 2...

I kinda suspect it's still got the "randomly uses more power than it can pull from the charger" issue that results in the battery draining even when plugged in. That's been an issue for a long time, though, and in my experience is (temporarily) fixed by the old Windows cure-all of rebooting.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:09 PM   #67
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Kindles have problems with large (> a few hundred items) collections, it can take many seconds to update them once they get sizable). And it can take several hours before they get synced (if you are starting from scratch with a new or reset Kindle). I used to have a huge Unread collection but that is not needed any more since the Read property exists. So I don’t have any that are larger than 100 or so items any more.

It’s unfortunate that they do not scale up better, and that Amazon hasn’t implemented something as basic as grouping by series or author or genre, things it should not be necessary to create by hand as it were and which other ebook ecosystems have done for years. I think Amazon will get around to it eventually but not expecting it ‘soon’.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindles have problems with large (> a few hundred items) collections, it can take many seconds to update them once they get sizable). And it can take several hours before they get synced (if you are starting from scratch with a new or reset Kindle). I used to have a huge Unread collection but that is not needed any more since the Read property exists. So I don’t have any that are larger than 100 or so items any more.

It’s unfortunate that they do not scale up better, and that Amazon hasn’t implemented something as basic as grouping by series or author or genre, things it should not be necessary to create by hand as it were and which other ebook ecosystems have done for years. I think Amazon will get around to it eventually but not expecting it ‘soon’.
Amazon hasn't done anything to improve eBook management. And creating collections with that many eBooks is annoying. I've never seen any collections on a Kindle that are that large. So I've no experience as to how slow it is.

I've never had any large collections on my H2O. So I have no idea who that performs in a similar situation.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #69
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon hasn't done anything to improve eBook management. And creating collections with that many eBooks is annoying. I've never seen any collections on a Kindle that are that large. So I've no experience as to how slow it is.

I've never had any large collections on my H2O. So I have no idea who that performs in a similar situation.
Yes, my need for collections is lightweight. I do use them, and find them somewhat useful (mostly to keep track of the books I’m trying to finish reading as I switch devices). But I don’t have interest in ‘managing’ my library.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:55 AM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I've some large collections on the H2O and Libra. No problem. Really fast to add a book to a Collection in Calibre.
The only issue with the Kobo is connect twice so a Series is updated.
In contrast the Collections on newer Kindles are a disaster. And certainly pathetic for Series.

Also the Metadata of Book Details works on a Kobo from Calibre. Kindle only does book details, at least for my PW3, if it's a book with an ASIN and you let it connect by WiFi. So useless.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #71
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have 49 collections total right now. I have 100's of books in each, often a book is in more than one collection. I try not to go above like 500 or so in one collection, but I have one of my "read" that has more I think. I start a new "read" when I feel like it, using the years as part of the name that I read those books. I read too much to have just one "read" collection.

I know they now implimented the "read" tag, but I still put my stuff in the collections as I read. So once its read its only in that collection.

My collections and the books in it look mostly the same on all my newer kindles that have cloud collections. O1, O3 and Voyage. It was the same on the O2 and a basic when I had them. I traded them in. I say mostly as each device might have some stuff sideloaded that is only on that device so the total numbers are off a wee bit. As far as cloud goes, they seem to be the same to me. No matter which kindle I grab.

Even the larger collections just take a second or so to put things in and out. It used to take longer when they first introduced cloud collections way back. Now its fast.

So I haven't had any issues with the collections since the early days of slowness when they introduced the cloud based ones.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've some large collections on the H2O and Libra. No problem. Really fast to add a book to a Collection in Calibre.
The only issue with the Kobo is connect twice so a Series is updated.
In contrast the Collections on newer Kindles are a disaster. And certainly pathetic for Series.

Also the Metadata of Book Details works on a Kobo from Calibre. Kindle only does book details, at least for my PW3, if it's a book with an ASIN and you let it connect by WiFi. So useless.
That issue for connecting twice has been solved by using NickleMenu to allow a second connect to Calibre without having to reconnect the USB cable. It works very well.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:46 AM   #73
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Unplugging and reconnecting the laptop end of cable is quick and trival. It takes a while for Calibre to re-read the Kobo. Perhaps because of 1800+ books, so I can't see the advantage of Nickle Menu?

I was adding batches of books (over 1900 in total) to a repaired empty H2O last night, which took a while! The longest part being the Kobo processing import on disconnect. I was reading on a Libra while that was happening.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Unplugging and reconnecting the laptop end of cable is quick and trival. It takes a while for Calibre to re-read the Kobo. Perhaps because of 1800+ books, so I can't see the advantage of Nickle Menu?
The advantage is not having to unplug and re-plug the USB cable. Saves wear and tear on the USB port.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-25-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #75
justloveebooks
justloveebooks began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino epos, Kindle Voyage (2x), Sony PRS-T1 (rooted), Sony Prs-505
Missing from the firmware is the setting of filter for Kindle Unlimited, and this was not so long ago introduced (5.12.x?).
Filter "Kindle Unlimited" on the home (start) sceen. In V 5.13.2 and 5.13.3 (Kindle Voyage, two, one set to German one set to English).
justloveebooks is offline   Reply With Quote