Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Why do you read ebooks?

I have been doing a lot of research on ebook readers lately before buying an Astak Pocket Pro and was just curious about why people are switching to the ebook format from the old paper books.

I have been reading ebooks personaly for over 15 years and started using them so I could always have a book handy at work or when ever I had to wait around for something. Now that I have moved to a rural area I am reading even more ebooks as there isn't a book store closer than 65 miles from the town I live in. I don't count Wally World as they don't have a decent stock of books.

Maybe if the publishers relized the market for ebooks in areas like mine where there isn't anywhere to purchase a paper book then they would bring the prices back down to a resonable level.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Convenience.

Most books I only read once and it was a pain to buy a book and have to find space for it or donate it etc. after I finished reading it.

The library is a hassle with due dates, reservations, not carrying a lot of books I read etc.

So the main reason I got one was just to have the convenience of getting an electronic copy of something that I don't have to find space for, donate etc. after reading it.

I'm fine paying $5-10 to read a book once. It's no different than paying $10 for a movie ticket. I'm paying for the entertainment I get while reading the book, I don't need to own a physical copy of something I'll only read once.

There's other nice benefits like having multiple books in one place etc. But I'm usually only reading one book at a time (not requiring work reading--which I don't do with e-books yet anyway) so it's kind of moot for me. Very seldom have I finished more than one book (if even that) on a trip etc.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-09-2010 at 04:11 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because carrying around multiple books is a pain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Convenience.
I'm fine paying $5-10 to read a book once. It's no different than paying $10 for a movie ticket. I'm paying for the entertainment I get while reading the book, I don't need to own a physical copy of something I'll only read once.
My sentiments as well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
kdf9511
Madman With A Box
kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kdf9511 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Nook Glowlight, Nook Color, Kindle 4, Astak Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Convenience.

I agree with that but with all the talk about the publishers raising prices to $15 a copy that will get a bit expensive for someone who reads like I do. In just the last week I have went through 10 novels, including yesterday where I started and finished one enitre one.
kdf9511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Because they do not occupy space in my house, they are delivered quickly through internet, and I can search through them for a piece of information inside them extremely fast with my PC.

For example, since I have all the Star Wars books in electronic format, whenever a new SW ebook is out, if I don't remember correctly something about one character I need only 10 seconds to find all the character appearances in all the ebooks I have.
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf9511 View Post
I agree with that but with all the talk about the publishers raising prices to $15 a copy that will get a bit expensive for someone who reads like I do. In just the last week I have went through 10 novels, including yesterday where I started and finished one enitre one.
Yeah, I only finish 1-2 books a month as I mainly just read for a bit before sleeping each night.

Still, $10 is the most I'll pay for a book I'll read once (e-book or paperbook). There's tons of books below that--especially considering free public domain books, so I'll never run out of stuff to read under $10.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I like them; I got started with Baen and have enough books from there, and other inexpensive places to keep going for a very long time.

As a fast reader, having the next book in a series on my Reader is a great benefit.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Because I can carry an 18-wheeler load of paper books on a couple of SD cards.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
What do people think a subscription service would be worth? Hypothetically, say you had a cloud library set up like Goodreads or Library Thing, but you could read the books in full?

Think of it as a personal library without the limitations of waiting for check out.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #11
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Convenience for me too, as well as the whole save a tree thing

And of course, eReaders are cool too!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yeap convenience is a big one. I like having a number of books on my device at any one time, so I can read different books depending on my mood.

Also it speaks the environmentalist in me a little. Less paper used, less fuel transporting paper, less ink, less pollutants from the paper/printing/fuel production processes. All my used readers go to family members so get years of usage.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
So I can have copies of my paper books wherever I go.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post
What do people think a subscription service would be worth? Hypothetically, say you had a cloud library set up like Goodreads or Library Thing, but you could read the books in full?

Think of it as a personal library without the limitations of waiting for check out.
Ugh!
I subscribed to Laser Books back in the 70's. Each month they mailed you, your 3 (thin by today's standards) MMPB's.

IMHO None were terrible, But ....

I choose my books/music/video .
Gifting me one of those, just because I read in the Genere, is usually a miss on my tastes.

Just my 2 cents
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboshart View Post

I'd be all for it. If I could pay for a 1 book at a time plan with a great selection like I get with Netflix for movies (my main hobby) I'd sign up in a second.