Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave will be officially released September 24, 2018

Don't forget that Mojave can do ugly things to 32-bit apps. Unfortunately I have several of them installed including the Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 suite.

You can determine which of your Mac apps are 32-bit by doing this:
  1. Click the Apple icon in the upper-left of the screen, select About this Mac.
  2. In the About this Mac popup, click the System Report... button.
  3. In the System Report... window, click Software -> Applications. (This will eventually display a list of apps, but it will take a while to generate it, so be patient.)

In the System Report... window, the last column named 64-Bit will indicate which apps are 64-bit and which are not. If it says "Yes" in that column, then it is 64-bit. No means that it is a 32-bit app and there might be issues running those in Mojave. You can sort that column clicking on the name "64-Bit" then scroll down to view all the "No" apps. Personally, I have too many 32-bit apps to risk using Mojave.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #2
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Thank you for this info! I, too, have too many 32-bit apps to upgrade. I'm always a bit iffy about "upgrades" (because with Apple, they usually remove functionality), but this just confirms it for me.

Thank you again!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
That's a pretty good way to identify the developers who aren't really serious about maintaining their code. I have a fair number of 32 bit apps, most of which are old apps that I haven't used in years, but there are a couple of surprises on the list. BBEdit from Bare Bones and Kindle are two on my list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
The most interesting one for me is my Kindle App. And I get it from the Apple app store.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Question

Does this mean that if I want to upgrade my old iMac to High Sierra, I have to do it before September 24, or be forced to upgrade to Mojave?
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those you folks listed, plus:
  • I have eight apps from Adobe. Four of those are affiliated with Adobe Air and dated from 2015, so they are likely pre-Adobe Cloud install. However, the others are dated 2017 or 2018, including the Adobe Application Manager. I use the cloud versions of Photoshop and Lightroom and cannot risk messing them up.
  • My Amcrest security camera apps are also listed as 32-bit and I cannot risk screwing them up.
  • I have several apps from Garmin for various devices, and need those apps.
  • The Microsoft apps are related to Office for Mac 2011, so that is understandable as it is an older version and way out of date. I installed OppenOffice for Mac yesterday and will test it out. I will likely use it to replace the MS Office which has always been a PITA anyway.
  • I have an astrophotography image post processing app called Nebulosity 3.x which is 32-bit. They have a newer version but I paid $300+ for the one I have so I definitely don't won't to screw it up.
  • Sony PlayMemories and some other Sony apps I need for my three cameras are also 32-bit and I need them.
  • Over all I counted 96 apps that are 32-bit. Many of these are related to another app or app suite. For many of these apps I don't even know what they are as the names of the app or service doesn't ring a bell nor does the developer name. Probably add-ons from installing other app suites like Adobe.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
Does this mean that if I want to upgrade my old iMac to High Sierra, I have to do it before September 24, or be forced to upgrade to Mojave?
Probably at some point High Sierra will no longer be available, but I’m not sure to be honest. Apple might keep it around for older Macs which cannot upgrade to Mojave. But I suspect it won’t be available for newer Macs that can update to Mojave. If you have an OS X older than Sierra see if the upgrade path gives you a choice between el Capitan and High Sierra. If so then maybe they keep older upgrades available.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's a pretty good way to identify the developers who aren't really serious about maintaining their code. I have a fair number of 32 bit apps, most of which are old apps that I haven't used in years, but there are a couple of surprises on the list. BBEdit from Bare Bones and Kindle are two on my list.
BBEdit 12.1+ is 64-bit.

I'm sure Kindle will update to 64-bit. The only questions are: 1) will they wait until next year when 32-bit support is dropped entirely, and 2) will the 64-bit version break any of the tools we love.

I'm still fretting about what to do about ADE 2.0.1, since there's absolutely no hope that it will ever be updated to 64-bit.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:13 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Don't forget that Mojave can do ugly things to 32-bit apps.
As far as I know, it will give you the same warning that High Sierra is already giving upon first launch of a 32bit app. They should still work the same...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #10
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
As far as I know, it will give you the same warning that High Sierra is already giving upon first launch of a 32bit app. They should still work the same...
I hope so, but I read on a few websites that there can be issues with some 32-bit apps running in Mojave.

For those of us who use Wine and WineBottler to wrap Windows apps in a way to make them operate in Mac OS X, this is a huge hit. Wine only works with 32-bit apps. Until Wine can work with 64-bit apps we will be SOL in the near future. I do have Win 10 Home installed on my Mac Mini late 2012 under Boot Camp, but I prefer to use Wine wrapped apps on my MBP 15" Retina. I also have a Win 10 Home dedicated Lenovo Yoga 2 11, but with only 4 GB of RAM that is not upgradable it is rather limited and certainly not a workhorse of a computer.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Updated to Mojave this evening. So far, no problems.

Alas, the books app on the mac doesn't do audiobooks, so I can't use it to organize the audiobooks in a collection on the mac and have it show up on the iPad/iPhone. Ah well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I updated to Mojave as well. I get the warnings when I run 32-bit apps, but the apps still run. So far...

@OtinG: Check out CrossOver. It's not free, but it is a 64-bit app based on Wine that lets you run Windows apps on your Mac. It's what I use. You can buy the current version and pay only once, or do a subscription (around $60 per year, but there are occasional sales) for upgrades as they come out.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Thanks for the Crossover app recommendation. I’ll check it out.

I think I’ll install Mojave on my MBP 15” Retina which is my primary computer. I was not going to, but I also have a 2012 Mac Mini with 16 GB RAM but will keep it running High Sierra just in case. The Mac Mini also has Win 10 via Boot Camp in case I need to run Windows apps. I also have an old Lenovo Yoga 2 11 with Win 10 but it only has 4 GB RAM and can’t be upgraded, so it is not much good for apps that require high performance.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-25-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 PM   #14
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Updated to Mojave this evening. So far, no problems ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I updated to Mojave as well. I get the warnings when I run 32-bit apps, but the apps still run. So far...
@pwalker8 and @downeaster59, you are far braver than I!

Can you tell us if Mojave has any issues with ADE 2.0.1 and/or Alf?

Muchas gracias,

The Big Chicken
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I am completely updated with the new MacOS Mojave and I just checked and my kindle app is the only app that shows to be 32 bit. This app is right from the Apple app store and not Amazon. I am not getting any warnings about it being 32 bit, and the app store says that I am completely up to date.
cvkemp is online now   Reply With Quote