Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #46
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlydood View Post
I say ... had... the 600 as I returned it today. The glare and contrast are inferior to the 505 and after using it incessantly since last Thursday (they came out early in Canada) I found the eye strain and tedious action of constantly adjusting the display angle to invalidate the other - admittedly lovely - features of the 600.
Aw maaan! I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride with all the reports on the 600 display. I thought surely after all the complaints about the 700, Sony would make sure contrast and clarity were at least as good as the 505 on all new models.

Guess I thought wrong. Although it does appear Sony made some improvement. I think having a 505 around (as I do also) hurts the 600's chances of acceptance. In the end, we'll each have to see the 600 and decide for ourselves. Nevertheless, all the pictures and early feedback are much appreciated.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #47
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
About the Black PRS-600 casing : Is the black color just an extra layer of paint over the aluminum, or is the whole aluminum case integrally dyed in black (which is far more durable to scratch and shock)?

Thanks for the pictures, the macro shot of the screen were especially appreciated!

Also, did you have a look at the optional cover for both the 300 and the 600? If so, what do you think of them?
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 06:30 AM   #48
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
PRS-600, excellent device so far in my hour of ownership. The clarity is fine....seems to me just about as good as the 505, I showed comparisons in the photos, I am hoping they get a stock of covers soon as the pouch is nice, but won't cut it. I will post more later as I am at work....just wanted to pop in my post
Thanks Doug! You know, I was in my SonyStyle store earlier as well. I brought both of my readers in to compare but still left empty handed and indecisive. After seeing the comparisons once again, I realised that I just need to get it already! I want it. I need to get it. So.... thanks to all of you fine folks for posting pix, I just ordered one online.

BTW, nice book selection on your 505. How is Too Fat to Fish and Larry Winget's book? They're on my "to read" list.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #49
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I have to say the glare has really been a non issue overall on this, I have read in a number of varying lighting conditions, it has been a matter of a slight angle shift. The one and only gripe is I REALLY wish they included a cover rather than this pouch, OR released the Book covers at the same time as the PRS-600. Sony has a winner with this one.....I have been finding this device to be a great pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Thanks Doug! You know, I was in my SonyStyle store earlier as well. I brought both of my readers in to compare but still left empty handed and indecisive. After seeing the comparisons once again, I realised that I just need to get it already! I want it. I need to get it. So.... thanks to all of you fine folks for posting pix, I just ordered one online.

BTW, nice book selection on your 505. How is Too Fat to Fish and Larry Winget's book? They're on my "to read" list.
Get it, worst case, return it if you don't like

as far as the books, great reads. Larry Winget gave me a better perspective on how to look at debt and finances I really enjoy the straight forward approach, and Artie Lange is hilarious, that man needs some help
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #50
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Get it, worst case, return it if you don't like
Yeah, that's what I figured, but with my little Sony bookshelf going on, I think I'm going to love it as much as the others.

Quote:
as far as the books, great reads. Larry Winget gave me a better perspective on how to look at debt and finances I really enjoy the straight forward approach, and Artie Lange is hilarious, that man needs some help

I love Larry's no non-sense approach to finances. Whatever happened to that show he had on cable?? Artie and I graduated from HS together, or perhaps it would be better to say we graduated from summer school together. LOL.... but it's good to see how he's turned what many would've seen as a negative about his personality, into a positive; sans the drugs of course, but as far as I knew, that was something he got into after HS.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #51
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
About the Black PRS-600 casing : Is the black color just an extra layer of paint over the aluminum, or is the whole aluminum case integrally dyed in black (which is far more durable to scratch and shock)?
I believe all of the Sony 505's had integral color. Someone posted about it after they dropped a blue one and part of the corner snapped off -- the poster said that the color went "all the way through". Can't find the thread right now, but it was a while ago.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Haven't seen one, but it looks like they're anodized.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #53
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Quote:
I believe all of the Sony 505's had integral color. Someone posted about it after they dropped a blue one and part of the corner snapped off -- the poster said that the color went "all the way through". Can't find the thread right now, but it was a while ago.
Yes, I remember one post saying that, I asked the very same question for the PRS-505 some time ago

Still I would be curious if anyone that have a black or red 600 should confirm that the color still go "all the way through". It's probably possible to say by looking closely at the top or bottom edge where there is a junction with some plastic parts.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #54
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Smile

[QUOTE=DougFNJ;570392]I have to say the glare has really been a non issue overall on this, I have read in a number of varying lighting conditions, it has been a matter of a slight angle shift. The one and only gripe is I REALLY wish they included a cover rather than this pouch, OR released the Book covers at the same time as the PRS-600. Sony has a winner with this one.....I have been finding this device to be a great pleasure.

[/QUOTE

I noticed that the Sony Style store, on line, now offers a cover with a light for 60.00. This is the only cover I see them offering just for the 600. They offer three pouches as well, one of which is a zipper pouch. Just want to add that I don't know about the price for a cover with light. Have been useing a Mighty Brite, which I got at Borders, with my 505. It does a great job. However, you do need a cover to mount it. By the way, I am suppose to be getting my 600 this wknd at Borders. Am concerned, because I saw someplace that there is an issue with the black and red ones or the silver and red ones, and I ordered a red one.

Last edited by Journier; 08-28-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Needed to add clarification
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:56 AM   #55
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
[QUOTE=Journier;571081]
Quote:
I have to say the glare has really been a non issue overall on this, I have read in a number of varying lighting conditions, it has been a matter of a slight angle shift. The one and only gripe is I REALLY wish they included a cover rather than this pouch, OR released the Book covers at the same time as the PRS-600. Sony has a winner with this one.....I have been finding this device to be a great pleasure.

[/QUOTE

I noticed that the Sony Style store, on line, now offers a cover with a light for 60.00. This is the only cover I see them offering just for the 600. They offer three pouches as well, one of which is a zipper pouch. Just want to add that I don't know about the price for a cover with light. Have been useing a Mighty Brite, which I got at Borders, with my 505. It does a great job. However, you do need a cover to mount it. By the way, I am suppose to be getting my 600 this wknd at Borders. Am concerned, because I saw someplace that there is an issue with the black and red ones or the silver and red ones, and I ordered a red one.
Borders will have it this weekend? on their site it says the 31st, which is monday. about silver and red, yeah a person here heard it from a guy at the store, although it might not be true as the first preview on the site was a silver 600...hope not anyway, I'm waiting for my silver. Also i remember that he was told they would be in stock on monday.
On a side note, I just watched a video introduction from a UK site (link is in one of the threads here in Mobileread) and they mentioned that the 600 would come in black or silver. so the red is not available in UK?

Last edited by lev; 08-28-2009 at 03:59 AM.
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #56
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oops!

[QUOTE=lev;571225]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post

Borders will have it this weekend? on their site it says the 31st, which is monday. about silver and red, yeah a person here heard it from a guy at the store, although it might not be true as the first preview on the site was a silver 600...hope not anyway, I'm waiting for my silver. Also i remember that he was told they would be in stock on monday.
On a side note, I just watched a video introduction from a UK site (link is in one of the threads here in Mobileread) and they mentioned that the 600 would come in black or silver. so the red is not available in UK?
Sorry everyone. I stand corrected. Got mixed up on my dates and the anticipation is probably running away with me. You are right, it is Monday.
Sorry.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #57
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
[QUOTE=Journier;571081]
Quote:

[/QUOTE

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665924181

There is that cover.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #58
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Yes, I remember one post saying that, I asked the very same question for the PRS-505 some time ago

Still I would be curious if anyone that have a black or red 600 should confirm that the color still go "all the way through". It's probably possible to say by looking closely at the top or bottom edge where there is a junction with some plastic parts.
It's metal so the color can't go all the way through. However, it is an anodized finish which is about as tough as you'll get. I know a number of people with the 505 and I don't know of anyone who has yet scratched off the finish.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #59
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
[QUOTE=Journier;571081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journier View Post
By the way, I am suppose to be getting my 600 this wknd at Borders. Am concerned, because I saw someplace that there is an issue with the black and red ones or the silver and red ones, and I ordered a red one.
A member was told by a Sonystyle store about the problem. The issue is that warrenty infomation was not included in the box of every one of those readers (some Red and Silver in US?). So sony asked those readers back, which caused the delay. I believe that the problem is not related to the readers themselves.
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:07 PM   #60
ferridder
ferridder began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I know a number of people with the 505 and I don't know of anyone who has yet scratched off the finish.
I haven't scratched off the finish of the main aluminium part, but the buttons are getting visibly worn - the print on the lower left turn button is gone, and the right-hand side button, that I press with a nail since it is so stiff, has lost its silver coating and the plastic shines through.
ferridder is offline   Reply With Quote