Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
bertuco
bertuco began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
I have seen that in many chapters, the second page has one line less than the rest of the same. Does anybody knows why that is due to? Thanks.
bertuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #17
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertuco View Post
Hi GeoffR and DNSB, many thanks for the patch. Could you make a patch for Aura Hd with one more line in the top without loosing the name of the book you're reading? It would be great. Many Thanks in advance.
If you talking about kepubs I don't think this is possible.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #18
bertuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by giododa View Post
If you talking about kepubs I don't think this is possible.
Yes, i'm talking about kepubs.
The line less in the second page is in kepubs too.
Thank you.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertuco View Post
I have seen that in many chapters, the second page has one line less than the rest of the same. Does anybody knows why that is due to? Thanks.
I can't think of anything that would make it happen only on the second page of a chapter, but in general there are a number of things that can cause a page to have one less line of text than other pages:

One is the widows and orphans settings in the book, but this doesn't affect kepubs with the current firmware.

The other main one is simply that there is not quite enough room for the last line to fit, perhaps because one line on the page is a bit higher than others, which might happen if it contains a superscript, subscript, or other odd-sized or oddly positioned character. Also some publishers (such as Baen) add a tiny spacing between paragraphs, just a few pixels, but these add up and can be enough to push the last line off the page if there are a lot of paragraphs on the page.

These are not directly related to the patch, but they are affected by your choice of line spacing, font size, and bottom margin which might well be different with the patch.in place.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:13 AM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

The other main one is simply that there is not quite enough room for the last line to fit, perhaps because one line on the page is a bit higher than others, which might happen if it contains a superscript, subscript, or other odd-sized or oddly positioned character. Also some publishers (such as Baen) add a tiny spacing between paragraphs, just a few pixels, but these add up and can be enough to push the last line off the page if there are a lot of paragraphs on the page.
This is probably it. But, you forgot the chapter title. The size of it and the margins above and below it will usually mean the last line on the screen isn't in the same place as on the second page. It is probably better to look at if the second, third and later pages are the same. If they don't have any of the things you suggested or a gap in the text caused by a scene break, they should have the same number of lines.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #21
bertuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I can't think of anything that would make it happen only on the second page of a chapter, but in general there are a number of things that can cause a page to have one less line of text than other pages:

One is the widows and orphans settings in the book, but this doesn't affect kepubs with the current firmware.

These are not directly related to the patch, but they are affected by your choice of line spacing, font size, and bottom margin which might well be different with the patch.in place.

Hi GeoffR, I was reading this afternoon and I saw that the reason for the line less is, certainly that the second page usually has a subscript and there's not quite enough room for the last line to fit.
Thankyou for your response.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,

How about the patch for brightness fine control? Does it enable us to go a bit below the 1%?
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
How about the patch for brightness fine control? Does it enable us to go a bit below the 1%?
No, it just changes the step size of the adjustment slider. Normally pressing the sun symbols at the ends of the slider moves the slider in 10% steps. With the patch you can set it to another step size, 1%, 5%, etc.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #24
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Oh OK. I used to put my finger onto the slider itself and adjust it.

Thanks.
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #25
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I had a problem with the database from the glo and add to update so I thought to try the patch, I'm a new linux user and I followed the instructions, but I'm not sure if I've been successful, I ended with a folder named kobo with a file named libnickel.so.1.0.0 inside, is this correct?
Should I rename this kobo folder to KoboRoot.tgz and then copy it to the glo to update or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
I had a problem with the database from the glo and add to update so I thought to try the patch, I'm a new linux user and I followed the instructions, but I'm not sure if I've been successful, I ended with a folder named kobo with a file named libnickel.so.1.0.0 inside, is this correct?
Should I rename this kobo folder to KoboRoot.tgz and then copy it to the glo to update or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
See the instructions in post #3. With the last (third) command of step 5, you produce the KoboRoot.tgz file, which contains /usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0. Be aware that linux is case sensitive. The name of the folder must be "Kobo."

Last edited by tshering; 03-08-2014 at 01:00 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Something has gone wrong, you should end up with KoboRoot.tgz in the current directory ready to copy to your device. Were there any error messages along the way?
Old 03-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #28
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I tried it again and this time I got the KoboRoot.tgz, now the problem is that I don't see the folder .kobo in the glo. How can I see the folder, I have folders for all the authors and for Digital editions but that's it.

Since I had to update I will have to add again the dictionaries and I can't see the dict folder because it is also in .kobo

I thought using linux would be easier, when I think I've got it some new problem comes along.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #29
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
I tried it again and this time I got the KoboRoot.tgz, now the problem is that I don't see the folder .kobo in the glo. How can I see the folder, I have folders for all the authors and for Digital editions but that's it.

Since I had to update I will have to add again the dictionaries and I can't see the dict folder because it is also in .kobo

I thought using linux would be easier, when I think I've got it some new problem comes along.
ls -a

will show all directories. If you're using a filemanager there should be an option to view hidden directories.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #30
GeoffR
Wizard

I've created a makefile to automate the patching process on Linux. See post #3: Automatic method.

You might need to install GNU make to use this, but once that is done and you have edited the conf file, running make will download the firmware, check that it is the correct firmware for the patch, extract the necessary file, compile the patching program, apply the patch, and create the KoboRoot.tgz file automatically. Then all you need to do is copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory on your device.

Beware that the makefile doesn't check that your device is running the correct firmware, it is up to you to check that before you copy KoboRoot.tgz onto the device and eject.