Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kitty Norville

Has anyone read the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn? if so, any good?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I enjoy that series, Jon, although I'm not sure if our reading tastes are compatible.

It's urban fantasy without being ultra-dark, with a bit of a romance (but it's not the main focus for most of the books). She's conflicted about being a werewolf (turned against her will, not born to it) and chooses to deal with it in by becoming a DJ to talk about the paranormal on a midnight weekly talk show. I liked that attitude.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I enjoy that series, Jon, although I'm not sure if our reading tastes are compatible.

It's urban fantasy without being ultra-dark, with a bit of a romance (but it's not the main focus for most of the books). She's conflicted about being a werewolf (turned against her will, not born to it) and chooses to deal with it in by becoming a DJ to talk about the paranormal on a midnight weekly talk show. I liked that attitude.
I can download the first book from the library to give it a try. What I like is that it's not a vampire this time. Thanks. I think I will when I'm ready to give it a go.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I have. It's fairly typical urban werewolf fantasy, somewhere below Kim Harrison or Kelley Armstrong in quality, I'd say, but not as amateurish as a lot of what's out there. I'll happily read them if the price is right. (They're certainly better than another author's fantasy novel I just bought at Fictionwise because it was cheap...it opens in a mental hospital, the concept of which the author seems to have...issues...with, and has just changed scene to an opera house: "The second floor was circular, with a large entrance room several thousand feet wide"...)
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I have. It's fairly typical urban werewolf fantasy, somewhere below Kim Harrison or Kelley Armstrong in quality, I'd say, but not as amateurish as a lot of what's out there. I'll happily read them if the price is right. (They're certainly better than another author's fantasy novel I just bought at Fictionwise because it was cheap...it opens in a mental hospital, the concept of which the author seems to have...issues...with, and has just changed scene to an opera house: "The second floor was circular, with a large entrance room several thousand feet wide"...)
I do like Kim Harrison and I've not yet read Kelley Armstrong. Thanks for your review. So I will put book 1 on my list.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI - there are vampires in the books. In fact, vampires set up the initial conflict in the first book IIRC.

At least one of the books (Kittie goes to Washington, I think) is very much about the vamps.

Have you read any of Patricia Briggs' werewolves? I like her better than Kelley Armstrong and at least as much as Kim Harrison (who's actually getting kind of stale on me)...
Old 02-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
FYI - there are vampires in the books. In fact, vampires set up the initial conflict in the first book IIRC.

At least one of the books (Kittie goes to Washington, I think) is very much about the vamps.

Have you read any of Patricia Briggs' werewolves? I like her better than Kelley Armstrong and at least as much as Kim Harrison (who's actually getting kind of stale on me)...
When I saw your first post, I was going to ask you to compare this with Briggs. Now I don't have to Silver Borne comes out next month!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
When I saw your first post, I was going to ask you to compare this with Briggs. Now I don't have to Silver Borne comes out next month!

I still have to say I'm disappointed there's no new Alpha & Omega this year, but I'll take what she'll write, no matter!
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:

I still have to say I'm disappointed there's no new Alpha & Omega this year, but I'll take what she'll write, no matter!
I agree with both: disappointed about Alpha & Omega and waiting for Silver Borne
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here, I like the Mercy books much better. Alpha & Omega's heroine is kind of wimpy, and the series suffers from the disadvantage of the characters having been introduced in a short story which a good proportion of the first book's purchasers hadn't read. Besides, "omega" already has a perfectly good definition in animal behavior, and it jars on me that Briggs tries to arbitrarily redefine it.

Edited to add: Anybody else like Ilona Andrews? She (they?) seems to give some original twists to urban vampire/werewolf fantasy in the Kate Daniels books - and her On the Edge isn't quite like anything else out there.

Last edited by wayrad; 02-18-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There is a new Kim harrison book due on Feb 23, 2010. The title is Black Magic Sanction. It is another Rachel Morgan book. IT seems that because of the publisher mess, Amazon is actually holding back so they can offer this at a lower price.

From Amazon...
Quote:
Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on Apr. 6, 2010.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a new Kim harrison book due on Feb 23, 2010. The title is Black Magic Sanction. It is another Rachel Morgan book.
Great news. I've enjoyed that series despite it being YA. Her Hollows series does seem to be getting mired in angst lately. Edited to add: Oops, brain disconnect. For some reason I confused it with the Morganville Vampires series by the same author! Must be getting old. I'll probably try this one anyway; haven't quite given up yet.

Last edited by wayrad; 02-18-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Same here, I like the Mercy books much better. Alpha & Omega's heroine is kind of wimpy, and the series suffers from the disadvantage of the characters having been introduced in a short story which a good proportion of the first book's purchasers hadn't read. Besides, "omega" already has a perfectly good definition in animal behavior, and it jars on me that Briggs tries to arbitrarily redefine it.

Edited to add: Anybody else like Ilona Andrews? She (they?) seems to give some original twists to urban vampire/werewolf fantasy in the Kate Daniels books - and her On the Edge isn't quite like anything else out there.
I said that I was disappointed because I wanted more, I like it Anyway, I like Ilona Andrews a lot, I've read the four books and I'm waiting for the next Kate's book on May and the next Edge book on Summer/September.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I said that I was disappointed because I wanted more, I like it Anyway, I like Ilona Andrews a lot, I've read the four books and I'm waiting for the next Kate's book on May and the next Edge book on Summer/September.
Oh, I see, sorry. I'm looking forward to the next Edge book too, and hoping it's as good as the first. (My favorite line: "Go brush your teeth, comb your hair, put on dry clothes, and get the guns. We're going to Wal-Mart.")
Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I have read the first Kitty Norvel book and liked it. It does seem like it is half a step below the Harrison, but worth enjoyable. I also like everything I have ever read of Patricia Briggs. Devon Monk has a good "Magic in the ..." series too.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote