Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I disagree on the hardware. I don't think either the Glo or Touch are less than the equivalent Kindles. The software development does leave something to desire.

Like what?
like everything?...yesterday i was charging kobo, plug the charger cable out, and kobo stopped for a minute. just stopped, i thought it was frozen again. after awhile it works back...i was reading a book. finished. deleted book. kobo froze. i was reading another book. delete it. library has frozen...every simple task looks like enormous strain for kobo, it makes my reading experience miserable...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
like everything?...yesterday i was charging kobo, plug the charger cable out, and kobo stopped for a minute. just stopped, i thought it was frozen again. after awhile it works back...i was reading a book. finished. deleted book. kobo froze. i was reading another book. delete it. library has frozen...every simple task looks like enormous strain for kobo, it makes my reading experience miserable...
From my experience with a Touch and a Glo, I can only agree with the first one. It can take a long time to recognise the cable has been disconnected. None of the others occur with any frequency. In the last week while I have been on holidays, I have read for at least four hours a day. I have complete several books, added some, deleted some, played with the font sizes while reading, used the WiFi to sync and downloaded a purchased books, browsed the web a little bit. About the only thing I haven't done is play one of the games. In that time I have had one freeze. The device isn't fast (five seconds to close a book and return to the home screen) but I don't expect to be.

What you describe sounds bad. Did it recover after these freezes or did you have to restart it? If it did recover, how long?

In any case, it sounds like either the device is faulty, or a firmware update has been applied incorrectly. What firmware are you using and how did it get there? In any case, I would suggest doing a factory reset and letting the device reinstall the updates. If it isn't better after that, take it back and get a replacement.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i'm using 2.3.1 if that's the correct number...i was doing factory reset once, because kobo froze on me after deleting one book, and after couple of days a new version of fw came out and i was doing an upgrade through wifi. i was buying kobo abroad and getting a replacement will be hard. and to tell them what, it works most of the time but most of the time it doesn't...it looks like poor software to me...or weak hardware...or bad combination of weak hardware and poor software...

Last edited by Tacty; 12-31-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
2.3.1 is the latest generally available firmware. It shouldn't be behaving like that and has for me. It could be hardware. If the problems you described happened on a PC, the advice would be to test the memory and the drive. It is possible the device has faulty memory. As you bought it overseas, that does make it a problem to exchange it. Maybe you can contact Kobo directly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #20
Tacty
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
2.3.1 is the latest generally available firmware. It shouldn't be behaving like that and has for me. It could be hardware. If the problems you described happened on a PC, the advice would be to test the memory and the drive. It is possible the device has faulty memory. As you bought it overseas, that does make it a problem to exchange it. Maybe you can contact Kobo directly.
to be frank, i'm not using it much since 2.3.1 upgrade...maybe some problems will be gone. problem after disconnecting power cable came up yesterday, but it seems like a common problem...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Wow, this topic has become really interesting to follow.
I have seen different reasons explaining why a brand is leader on a given market.
I would like to point also the first-mover advantage (which was implied in a previous reply, I think).
I can't back up that why numbers but I really don't think that Amazon does well *everywhere*. Japan and France come to mind. When I was in Japan, all I could find was Sony, Sony and Sony eReaders. Since then Rakuten bought Kobo, so the choice is a little bit wider. Don't forget that there wasn't any Kindle for the Japanese market before this summer (less than 6 months ago)!
In France the market is tiny with not advertised devices and deterring price tags for the content . I have to say that I have never bought a French eBook so far, because of the price. I'm sticking with Project Gutenberg and eBooks in other languages.

Regarding the device, I don't expect the same from something worth of, let's say, $50 and something worth of $150. However, I expect both of them to be of good quality and reliable. I was looking at the Kobo Mini again this morning and definitely, fiddling with the settings can improve the user experience greatly. From what I'm read here and there, I tend to think that on the hardware level, Kobos don't have to feel ashamed. On the software level, well... I don't really know. Some maker don't really update their firmware. It's much easier to release a new model, thus creating a need for it. Kobo seems to try and fix things (like the "read" option).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Ereader sales seem to be determined wholly by brand recognition and the strength of the retail channel. Amazon does well everywhere because it's already a known quantity in the book business everywhere. In most markets there seems to be room for at least one competitor tied to a large brick and mortar book chain: whether that be Nook in the US or Kobo in Canada, Japan, UK, France, etc.

It's even more than that. In Canada at a Future Shop or Best Buy, I forget which, the hubby & I saw probably about 50 - 60 Sony T2 readers in a wire cage. None were on display anywhere. Yet there was an endcap with a dedicated Kobo display of several models. I'm always one for new toys & gadgets so asked about seeing a T2 to play with.

Sales rep said there was no display but he could open one. I didn't want him to open one just so I could play with it. But we did ask how on earth they were expecting to sell any with none on display and them all locked in a cage at the back of the store. It's not his decision obviously but I asked what the heck?!?

He said Kobo pays for the end cap. Sony doesn't pay so no display for Sony. When you see a display in a store, the maker of the item in the display pays for that space. Essentially renting it. It's smart and gets their name out there.

I want an ereader. What's an ereader? Oh look! This Kobo thing is an ereader. Are there any others around? Nope, only this one brand on display with differet models to choose from. Ok I'll buy it.

Good for Kobo but bad for consumers who only see the one maker & don't investigate enough to see what else is out there available to them. That's how they get such high numbers. It's NOT based on it being a good device over anything else.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #23
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Oh I would have had him open it! I'd love to see/handle one. I'm hoping for an improved one, maybe with a light, next fall. T3?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We went to the Sony store afterwards and I played with it there. For about 20 minutes. LOL I even showed the guy a few things he didn't know about. LOL It was very nice but not different enough to warrant buying the new model other than it was new. It was a little brighter, it was a little faster, some stuff which I can't think of right now was tweaked better but it still had ghosting and overall for me, not worth buying new.

I also found the buttons slightly sharp. Oddly enough I actually preferred the 'bar' buttons over the shaped ones. I think it's esthetically nicer and not as sharp on the fingers. You're not going to get cut, don't get me wrong but if someone was to hit those buttons for page turning rather than using the touch screen it could get sore after a while. The black was matter than the T1 black but the red & white were just as shiny as their predecessors.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #25
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Shopaholic,
In Kingston, Ontario, Staples displays Sonys, Kindles, and Kobos side by side. All are set up for hands-on use. The last time I was at Best Buy and Future Shop, the same thing was true (this could have changed as I haven't been there in a month or so.) It was because of this direct, hands-on comparison that I decided to go with Kobo and not with one of the other two as was my initial plan. I had some concerns about Kobo's reputation however my sister-in-law had one and had no problems. I have had my Touch for a little less than a year and have purchased a Mini during the recent sales and have not had a problem with either device. I have not once had to reset either and have yet to experience any freezing. I'd like to ad that the Mini, in my experience, in direct comparison with Kindle and Sony has as good or better looking screen with sharper looking text.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

llcj - That is not the case in all areas and as I said, we only have the older Kindle models. The staples near me does not carry the Sony. The Future Shop or Best Buy we went to only had Kobo & Sony's locked up in a cage. They didn't even carry the Kindle. This was back in October.

The Staples, Best Buy & Future Shop Canada's websites don't even list the Kindles. I know The Source (formerly Radio Shack) carries Kindles including the older keyboard ones. Nobody I've found has the new ones. Not even the non-touch black Kindle.

I know for a fact that stores essentially rent space to different manufacturers and when they don't pay, they don't get much shelf space. Certainly not a prime spot that's for sure. I frequent Sephora and have gotten friendly with the staff. Even the makeup companies pay for space in the store. It's at a premium. While websites have unlimited space, physical stores do not and can't carry every line nor every product from those lines. Pay for play. No pay, no display.

And Staples isn't exactly the first store that comes to mind when thinking to buy electronics. While they do carry stuff like that, they're known as an office supplies place.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Hi Shopaholic,

This was definitely no earlier than October, probably was early November when I checked Best Buy and Future Shop. It's quite possible they hadn't gotten or acted on the directive yet. I'm aware of the practice you speak of and know that it wide spread. It is especially common in grocery stores.

I never used to think of Staples when buying electronics until I started hanging out there a lot. It's one of the first places I check now when I go to look at electronics. I hate the low lighting they have at Future Shop and Best Buy in Kingston. Also, I don't like being bugged by sales people a lot. I find the staff at Staples helpful but not pushy. Staples and Future Shop are next door to each other in Kingston so I usually go to Staples and then to Future Shop. The Staples store I go to has only the Kindle Touch but I think the downtown store has both Touch and keyboard models. I would love to see the Paperwhite. A front lit reader is the type of devise I have long wanted.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
llcj - That is not the case in all areas and as I said, we only have the older Kindle models. The staples near me does not carry the Sony. The Future Shop or Best Buy we went to only had Kobo & Sony's locked up in a cage. They didn't even carry the Kindle. This was back in October.

The Staples, Best Buy & Future Shop Canada's websites don't even list the Kindles. I know The Source (formerly Radio Shack) carries Kindles including the older keyboard ones. Nobody I've found has the new ones. Not even the non-touch black Kindle.

I know for a fact that stores essentially rent space to different manufacturers and when they don't pay, they don't get much shelf space. Certainly not a prime spot that's for sure. I frequent Sephora and have gotten friendly with the staff. Even the makeup companies pay for space in the store. It's at a premium. While websites have unlimited space, physical stores do not and can't carry every line nor every product from those lines. Pay for play. No pay, no display.

And Staples isn't exactly the first store that comes to mind when thinking to buy electronics. While they do carry stuff like that, they're known as an office supplies place.
Having worked for many years at the Buying offices of a major department store, I can tell you that while cosmetics companies definitely have agreements about their space allocation, that is not the case for most other products. Space is generally allocated based on the sales per square foot or the potential for higher sales and products that are less in demand have less space allocated to them. Also, a store that does not display or replenish received goods is a poorly run one or one that doesn't have enough payroll allocated to taking out purchased inventory. That's just a poor business practice.
I realize that you have a negative bias against Kobo products but the fact still remains that it is the number 1 ereader in Canada and it's not just because Sony products are left in the "cage" at the store you frequent.
Sony ereaders are excellent products but not all buyers are looking for the same features in their ereader and Kobo does cater to certain customers' wants extremely well. Also, contrary to what you assert not every Kobo user has problems with his device .
The OP was interested in details about the Mini which is a 5" reader at a great sale price. This thread has really gone off topic... I for one would like to hear more from other Mini owners of their experience with the device since their opinions will be based on practical experience, not hearsay.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I'm very happy with my Mini. Yes, Kobo SW has some bugs, but bot annoying enough for disturbing me. I use it frequently (everyday?) and no problems. And a great battery life.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I realize that you have a negative bias against Kobo products but the fact still remains that it is the number 1 ereader in Canada and it's not just because Sony products are left in the "cage" at the store you frequent.

Yes I do but the fact remains that you keep quoting things that are not factual based on choice. They're based only on numbers and numbers can and will always be skewed to how the user wants to use them. In your case you seem to tout that the device is good because of the numbers. No, it's not good because of the numbers. It has those numbers because and only because that's pretty much all that's out there for Canadians to choose from.

When consumers have little to choose from guess what they're going to choose? The one item they see in front of them. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

I do not 'frequent' those stores. I visited them once. I give my money to US retailers not Canadian ones. I don't like the selection. I don't like their prices and I don't like their service.