Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Does the Vox allow ease of transfer of the 50 or 60 epub books I have on my (now the wife's) PRS T1? Is the drag and install easy on the Vox? I liked the PRS T1 for the ease of use plus nothing ever went awry. It was my first EReader.
Thanks for all the advice. Greatly appreciated.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I read on my Vox with the Aldiko reading app and use Calibre on my PC to manage my library.
Others use Dropbox on their computer and the Dropbox app on Vox to transfer books.
Yes, even without these tools, it is relatively easy to move books over to the Vox assuming 1) that you have a file manager installed like Astro 2) you know what folders to use ie: where the books go
There are several threads about the topic that you could find by searching that give excellent help about it.
Keep in mind that the Vox is not as simple a device as our old Sonys... It does a lot more, rather like a mini computer therefore requires a little more knowledge (most of it related to stuff other than the books themselves) than the first / second generation readers that came out a few years ago. But it's well worth it!
Ps: I have a friend who like you bought another tablet first (BB Playbook) but who returned it to get a Vox when he saw how easy mine was to use + what he really wanted was a reader first, tablet capabilities second. We transferred most of his 600-700 book library to the Vox with no storage space issues. We first installed Aldiko however as it is superior to Kobo app for reading third party books. He isn't a computer wiz but has had no problems in the 2 months since he got it. He just loves his Vox!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 03-25-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullar View Post
My wife loved her vox up until the last update, when they added the recommended for you list. Like me with my touch neither of us like this feature. We live very close to a U.S. border and really were debating between the colour kindle and nook but settled on the vox. If the recommended list was there when we were purchasing the choice would have been different. As it is I am refusing to buy books from them and our next ereader will not be a Kobo of any type. It's too bad really as we liked our units, payed full price for one without advertising, and now have it forced on us. So I would not recomend the vox or touch. Books and readers can be easily bought in the U.S. without this annoying feature.
Perhaps if users keep complaining to Kobo about this recommended list being shoved in our faces, they'll make it an option. A year or two ago Rogers Cable added a "feature" to their digital boxes where when you pressed the "guide" button, it took you first to their promotional channel. The uproar was so huge, they relented and let users skip this.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Perhaps if users keep complaining to Kobo about this recommended list being shoved in our faces, they'll make it an option. A year or two ago Rogers Cable added a "feature" to their digital boxes where when you pressed the "guide" button, it took you first to their promotional channel. The uproar was so huge, they relented and let users skip this.
Maybe, but I get the impression that a lot of people like the recommendations type features. For someone like myself, and perhaps you, it is an annoyance since I don't obtain books through Kobo's store. Yet for someone who is looking for their next read and is going to buy from Kobo, it is probably a convenience.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
1) that you have a file manager installed like Astro 2) you know what folders to use ie: where the books go
There are several threads about the topic that you could find by searching that give excellent help about it.
I just let Calibre put things where it wants to

I use Calibre and the send to device option
then from kobo library select import books and it does it for me
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I like my VOX, except whenever I turn it on I have little voices, "I want to play Angry Birds on your tablet", from my 3 yr old, and "I want to race bikes on your ereader", from my 5 yr old, or hubby wanting to play angry birds.

I use dropbox to download since its much much easier then than hooking up the VOX. I also do more reading in Overdrive (for my library books), and Aldiko, my knitting patterns are in Mantana??SP??, and sometimes the Kindle App is better for PDF patterns.

If/when the google.play is open to us, I will seriously consider buying another VOX. My other dream is that tablet that you can easier add handwritten notes on top of print, I think its a Samsung, but hard to justify at this point. A second VOX will end of being used by my spouse and children as a toy.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Vox
I would recommend waiting a little longer for an ICS tablet (Android 4.0) with Google Play to release for about $200. I recently purchased an Acer A100 for about $280 and it is sort of my Kobo replacement, my partner uses the Vox sometimes, but the cable is so short and the battery never seems to last so she doesn't use it very often anymore...
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Vox
i like my vox. i chose it because of more open formats available to read on it. it does what i wanted it to do. its no ipad replacement, but hey, it wasnt supposed to be. i thinkt hey could've made it a super reader without as many hiccups such as WFS and SOD, security and problems updating etc. i havent applied the latest update...having stuff shoved down my neck has never appealed. i dont buy books using my vox and i tend to use amazons books/website either bought or free and sync from desktop..im happier not having passwords floating around on an unsecure unit and not having a multi-buy option is just neanderthal for example.

mmm..would i recommend it? well, i might buy my 14yr old one..to use as a reader.
would i recommend it to friends? probably not. because i think kobo support is just way too unreliable etc if you run into issues...also because i dont think kobo listen to their users sufficiently in order that they are more informed as to where they go next with either product or updates.

but i still wouldnt be without mine right now...
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
FLHRDR
FLHRDR began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
As soon as ASUS comes out with the Memo 370T, I'm replacing my Vox with it. Between the social networking junk being forced on me (I do NOT have a facebook account and never will) and now the recommended reading BS, I've pretty much had it with the device and company. And having to root the blasted thing after every update is a pain in the behind, too.
FLHRDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I would recommend waiting a little longer for an ICS tablet (Android 4.0) with Google Play to release for about $200. I recently purchased an Acer A100 for about $280 and it is sort of my Kobo replacement, my partner uses the Vox sometimes, but the cable is so short and the battery never seems to last so she doesn't use it very often anymore...
Well you do have the Archos 70b for 219$ (in Canada, 199$ in the US), but it's Android Honeycomb, not ICS, and the screen isn't as good as the Vox (often forgotten, the Vox has a GREAT screen), though it is more powerful and it has all the Google Apps, plus a front camera and HDMI out.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I would recommend waiting a little longer for an ICS tablet (Android 4.0).
ICS? Added text to lengthen message to get around pesky message telling me that the posting must have at least five characters.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
ICS? Added text to lengthen message to get around pesky message telling me that the posting must have at least five characters.
ICS
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #28
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Ice Cream Sandwich, AKA Android 4.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
insync44
insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.insync44 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Well I've come to the conclusion that the Kobe Vox is the only color ereader for me. after exhaustive research I find that the two other alternatives are not Canada friendly (color Nook and Kindle Fire). The reviews on the Vox are mainly terrible concentrating on it being underpowered, sluggish and prone to problems. However, all agree that it is internationally usable.

Its on sale, at the moment, for $129.99, with a 30 day return policy, at my local store. I'll give it a try.
insync44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by insync44 View Post
Well I've come to the conclusion that the Kobe Vox is the only color ereader for me. after exhaustive research I find that the two other alternatives are not Canada friendly (color Nook and Kindle Fire). The reviews on the Vox are mainly terrible concentrating on it being underpowered, sluggish and prone to problems. However, all agree that it is internationally usable.

Its on sale, at the moment, for $129.99, with a 30 day return policy, at my local store. I'll give it a try.
That's a steal! The lowest I see at the moment is $179 at Best Buy.
Pay no attention to the poor reviews. All the reviewers are comparing it to tablets, not e-readers. The Vox is an e-reader with benefits.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote