Oh Yes. 144 55.38%
Oh No. 49 18.85%
Part of me wants it, the other doesn't 36 13.85%
Touchscreen is the answer. 31 11.92%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
It's an e-reader, not an e-writer. If you need a keyboard you are using it wrong...it's not an ipad or laptop
How then, do you search for eBooks to read if you never use the keyboard?? Perhaps you don't need it because you don't use the WiFi capabilities of the Kindle either, just load books onto your Kindle via computer and USB cable. And, if you have never used the WiFi I guess that means you don't use the collections feature, either. I guess some of us just use our Kindles a bit differently than you do. I certainly use it primarily as an eReader, not a laptop/iPad substitute, but still....

I like having the keyboard. I haven't used it for writing notes, but definitely use it to write collection names, for book searches, etc. Like others in this thread, I would like to have a row of number keys as well, just for ease of use (or maybe I'm just lazy. )

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Doesn't make any difference, before it got stolen I had a Pandigital Novel which was touch screen, see attached photo. It used a virtual keyboard on the screen so, at least in my opinion it really makes little difference if its hardware or virtual keyboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pandigital-novel-reader-300x300.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	60113  
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
How then, do you search for eBooks to read if you never use the keyboard?? Perhaps you don't need it because you don't use the WiFi capabilities of the Kindle either, just load books onto your Kindle via computer and USB cable. And, if you have never used the WiFi I guess that means you don't use the collections feature, either. I guess some of us just use our Kindles a bit differently than you do. I certainly use it primarily as an eReader, not a laptop/iPad substitute, but still....

I like having the keyboard. I haven't used it for writing notes, but definitely use it to write collection names, for book searches, etc. Like others in this thread, I would like to have a row of number keys as well, just for ease of use (or maybe I'm just lazy. )

Holly
You can do all of this without ever touching the keyboard, all from PC
You can order books from your PC + send them wirelessly / USB
Create/manage collections from your PC (with KCM)

I can type pretty fast on PC qwerty keyboards.. Even most touchscreen phone keyboards I can manage to text and browse pretty damn fast. But the kindle keyboard is so cumbersome it just takes so long that I get frustrated and want to throw the damn thing at the wall. Even trying to enter text in forms on websites for a simple response takes days, and even when you get it in there, it takes even longer for each character to show up on the screen.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #19
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Keyboard for me please. I would prefer a joystick instead of the 5 way though or the selector for the 5 way need to be below the arrow keys or the arrow keys need to be raised. I can't use the 5 way efficiently without hitting the selector unless I use my fingernail, which is going to wear down the ink on the arrow keys.

I would also like number keys and numbers beside the content on each page sot that I can simply enter 0-9 to select the content instead of using the arrow keys to page down or up and then select the content that I'm interested in.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #20
Wasabihound
Enthusiast
Wasabihound doesn't litterWasabihound doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G and WIFI, MacBook, iPhone 3G
I like the keyboard, number keys would be nice but not a biggie.

Rather one of these than give up screen real estate for a virtual keyboard or battery for a larger screen).

I tried a friend's K2 and agree with DuckeeDoug about the joystick. Though I am getting use to the five way selector.
Wasabihound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #21
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Another vote for "Oh Yes". I really prefer the physical feedback from the Kindle keyboard in comparison with typing on a touch screen.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Now that I think about it, it would be nice to have a physical *and* a virtual keyboard.

My Palm Pre has a physical keyboard. I also have a virtual keyboard hack for those times I want to use the phone in landscape mode. Since Kindles can be rotated 360 degrees, it would be nice to have a virtual keyboard when not in the standard portrait mode. Of course this would require a touchscreen which I wouldn't mind since my cell has a touch screen and a physical keyboard and they get along well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I like the keyboard for versatility, but would like a flap or cover to prevent accidental use.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #24
ofey
Kindle3 Noob
ofey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Before I bought the kindle3, I had a hankering for the Sony PRS-650 because of the touch screen. After I received the Kindle yesterday, I was relieved I made the right decision.
You need a physical keyboard. It may take up more space but it's so much better with it.
All you need is for a slide away design perhaps?
ofey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #25
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Keyboard, oh yes!

@ofey

I dunno about a slideaway design. If it's got any moving parts, that=more breakable parts and places where stuff can get in mess things up...

Last edited by Anarel; 10-25-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
As much as some people malign touch screens (because of fingerprints), I think a touch screen is essential in a mobile device, and would be an asset for a Kindle device (they can keep basic navigation buttons for the 90% of stuff that you don't need a full keyboard for: page turns, menu, 5way etc.). Then they'd be able to make it smaller, or have a bigger screen in the same form factor.

Besides, it is just a matter of time before a simple surgical procedure (or genetic modification) can remove the oil ducts in one of your fingertips (and maybe adding a little dimple for better precision) to make this problem go away entirely.

Personally the fingerprint issue doesn't bother me at all with my iPod Touch until I turn off the screen.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #27
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I'm not a fan of the touchscreens on the iPhone, and would hate for the Kindle to go in that direction. It seems inevitable that they will, eventually, but I'm hoping by the time that they do, touchscreens will be easier to use.

For now, I prefer the control of the keyboard. And count me in on putting back the numbers on the keyboard!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #28
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Touch screens are good for certain applications and the Kindle is probably no exception for this enhancement. The touch screen can be made to be less susceptible to finger prints, but in the case of apple that is not a 100% solution. Apple uses a finger print resistant material, but after a while finger prints will still occur. As far as a regular touch screen go the screen will have some glair which was the case with Sony's 600 E-book series. Now Sony's 650 series use a series of lasers around the parameter of the screen for there touch recognition technology so no additional material is needed on the screen, but now the device has suddenly became more complicated. A slide out keyboard is a great idea but would produce wear and tear, and add complications which can be observed with variety of cell phones that have slide out keyboards. The slide out keyboard probably doesn’t produce any more wear then having to turn the device on/off, pressing the home or back button. I’m not an engineer so I cannot answer the question of wear and tear of a slide out keyboard.
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I do not like touch screens. Bleeeeeech. Call me granny but I prefer the keyboard to a touch screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You are wrong. The keyboard extends the usefulness of an ebook reader (real keyboard or virtual). Quicker searches, dictionary lookup, note taking for those who like to write in the margins and more. The keyboard takes reading to a another level.

You are not taking advantage of the additional capabilities (which is your choice but that doesn't mean others are wrong for using the keyboard).
Thank you. I couldn't have said it better.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keyboard, kindle