Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@richy1989: Huh. Good to know it works, I thought I'd tried (and failed) to squish Caecilia Condensed from my Touch's Aa menu .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released 0.4.N.

Besides the usual binaries update, it now handles USE_ALT_FONTS itself and in a slightly smarter way, to avoid potential fun issues after full official updates.

For that reason alone, this is a strongly recommended update.

And to anyone using USE_ALT_FONTS: Disable it before doing an official update!

(And no, that's not just a hint to avoid potential issue, I did manage to lock up my PW after the 5.3.8 update. Fortunately, it stalled on the third boot (who knows why it worked the first two times...), so I already had SSH up & running).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the FT update might bring significant rendering changes for anything using the autohinter (mainly the autohint & light FT overrides).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-18-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #33
NiLuJe
BLAM!

... And 0.5.N .

Which properly tackles the 'official full updates' thing by using our own dedicated fonts directory. The doc has been updated appropriately.

There's also a fresh FreeType update, which fixes the clipping of synthetically emboldened fonts, which is nice for those using a custom font mising its bold style(s) .

So, again, a recommended update, and I'd also recommend everyone to run the Fonts -> Fonts Hack Behavior > * Migrate your fonts directory * KUAL button after the update to migrate to the dedicated fonts directory .
Old 09-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #34
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
NiLuJe, are you certain that everything is all right with version 0.5.N? As I understand, after the migration, the folder /mnt/us/font will be removed (indeed, it is), and there will be no need for the file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS. I removed the file, and rebooted the Kindle. Afterwards, the file is still there. Is this intended? I ask, because my feeling was that user fonts are dealt by linkfonts internally.

Thank you for clarifying all these.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hfpop: There are two different aspects:

* v0.4.N handle USE_ALT_FONTS in a "smart" way: it's created at boot, and removed at shutdown/update, so that you don't end up with an USE_ALT_FONTS file after an official update. (It used to be created by the install process).

* v0.5.N added the migration of the fonts folder to linkfonts/fonts (which has been a valid & supported folder since v0.1.N, FWIW). And the doc recommends using this folder, so you don't end up with X choking on the cache regen at boot after an official update leaves you without a decent FreeType library . [Since the folder is hack-specific, and after a full update, we lose our custom fontconfig bit asking the system to take it into account, whereas fonts would still be parsed]

In any case, we still need the USE_ALT_FONTS file to ask the framework to make the new fonts easily accessible in the Aa menu .

TL;DR: Yep, what you're describing is the expected behavior .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #36
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
NiLuJe, thank you for these explanatory details.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Monthly updates .

Fonts v0.6.N:
* Updated binaries.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #38
dereker
dereker began at the beginning.

Device: k3 kpw
Can I use this font hack on a pw2? Is it safe?
dereker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #39
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereker View Post
Can I use this font hack on a pw2? Is it safe?
No, because we still don't know if this particular hack is safe.

NiLuJe needs a device to test it and give us his go. He has ordered a PW2 which should arrive this week so we will know soon.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #40
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I think now is probably a good time for the devs to post again the links for donations that should actually be in a sticky IMHO. Not only do they spend a fair amount of time making things work, it's also much easier when they have the actual devices to test on.

Last edited by Yolina; 11-24-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Currently experimenting with this on the PW2.

So far, appears not to blow up horribly, so that's that, at least. Getting anything to show up in the Aa menu is possibly doable, but potentially way more trouble than I'm willing to go through.

On the good news front, font overrides work, and since Caecilia Condensed is useless with a custom FreeType, that's the perfect target for such a thing.

I'll update the snapshots in a while, but the doc updates will have to wait, so the strong warning still applies, and I'll urge anyone even remotely looking to try this to *thoroughly* read the first post, be fairly proficient in Kindle twiddling, absolutely have an SSH shell open at all times during setup, be very wary of reboots, and, as a bonus, be familiar with the specifics of this Hack on a safer device (ideally, a Touch, barring that, a PW1).

TL;DR: Here be dragons.

----

As I said, I'm not terribly inclined in digging further into the whole Aa menu thing (and I'm a bit short on time, which doesn't help), so if anyone has any insights into that, I'm all ears .
Old 11-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #42
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Uff, before your last post I installed the hack (kindle-linkss-0.15.N-r10182.tar.xz), restart several times with no problems... and no results.

Desinstalled and awaiting.
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@levante: Won't change much. Currently, the only way to actually use different fonts is via the Fonts Override feature (found in the relevant KUAL menu).

If you're expecting shiny bloated Aa menus, then you're SOL .
Old 11-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There we go. Updated snapshots .

Obligatory screenshots of Crimson replacing Caecilia Condensed ^^.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_11_30T21_12_54+0100.png
Views:	908
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	116025   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_11_30T21_13_03+0100.png
Views:	951
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	116026  
Old 11-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #45