Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Genesis
Enthusiast
Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
lack of syncronization and loss of cursor positon

sigil never puts the cursor in the proper place when switching views; as soon as I activate code view window, cursor jumps to an unexpected location.

When I am proofreading, every time I leave Sigil (dual monitors, Finereader or Scan viewer on other monitor) or switch between book and code views, I am constantly having to reposition cursor, (usually having to scroll to where I was)... In some cases, Book view jumps to start or end of epub!

In addition, when i am scrolling in either view, the other view remains STATIC.
They do not scroll in sync..

I Edit in Code View.

Is there some setting I've yet to find to stop these behaviours?

Last edited by Genesis; 04-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
sigil never puts the cursor in the proper place when switching views; as soon as I activate code view window, cursor jumps to an unexpected location.

When I am proofreading, every time I leave Sigil (dual monitors, Finereader or Scan viewer on other monitor) or switch between book and code views, I am constantly having to reposition cursor, (usually having to scroll to where I was)... In some cases, Book view jumps to start or end of epub!

I Edit in Code View.

No setting.
Usually it syncs CLOSE to the insert point. Click before switching
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Genesis
Enthusiast
Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No setting.
Usually it syncs CLOSE to the insert point. Click before switching

I'm not sure which problem you suggest this solves.. Close to me would be within a line or two---not top of one view to bottom of other ( or worse, not IN other view at all) Clicking a view to activate, always MOVES the cursor away from it's last position.

I've worked more than few ePUBs (see [demonoid. link deleted] and this need to constantly reposition cursor back to where I was while I'm proofreading and editing ...is very aggravating..

If the views scrolled in sync, it would solve 1/2 the problem..
The rest of the problem might be a multi-monitor issue..

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-07-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: link to unauthorised copyright material deleted
Old 04-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
I have to admit, I've always noticed this and found it highly frustrating. Just my two cents.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just make sure that you've clicked inside of a paragraph before switching, I've had a few books which were made exclusively of divs, that seemed to cause it to just jump to the top of the file when swapping view.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Just make sure that you've clicked inside of a paragraph before switching, I've had a few books which were made exclusively of divs, that seemed to cause it to just jump to the top of the file when swapping view.
Exactly
Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post

I Edit in Code View.

I have mentiond this same problem before. I use a Clip manage and when I leave the CV to pickup a clip into the win clipboard the CV cursor will jump to the beginning of the file. When I re-find the position, the clip inserts two lines before the cursor position. Perhaps I just don't hold my tongue in the right position.

I'm hoping that the ckEditor will cure this. Every thing works fine with Amaya which I think uses ckEditor. Amaya is referenced in the ckEditor Win zip file.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Syncing of the cursor/caret position is, as you've gathered, difficult to get right 0.5.3 fixed quite a number of issues with this, but more obviously remain.

CKEditor by itself won't fix the issues, though it might help. It wouldn't help if you are switching out of CV to another program and back - that's strictly CV, sort of. Figuring out where the caret is between the two views is not straightforward - especially when text is added/removed, etc.

In any case, the issue of how to handle syncing, and whether to sync at all is still open. A lot has changed in the underlying code in Sigil for handling data and its not quite at the point where this can be looked at to see what can be done.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Cursor syncing is gone, dead and won't be coming back.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
My condolences to it's family
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #11
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Cursor syncing is gone, dead and won't be coming back.
Oh Joy
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I had gotten used to it not being reliable in any case. So no great loss
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Genesis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Syncing of the cursor/caret position is, as you've gathered, difficult to get right 0.5.3 fixed quite a number of issues with this, but more obviously remain.

CKEditor by itself won't fix the issues, though it might help. It wouldn't help if you are switching out of CV to another program and back - that's strictly CV, sort of. Figuring out where the caret is between the two views is not straightforward - especially when text is added/removed, etc.
ckeditor?
being stuck with only one viable ePUb editor , i feel held ransom, especcialy considerings certain ppl's posted attitudes (not you).. Perhaps.. if this project was was Open Source, someone could step in with solutions , instead of declarations...

oh wait...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yes, ckeditor. John (and I think also meme) are working on replacing the bookview editor by ckeditor. This due to issues with Qt-framwork for those fields.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
ckeditor.com is the web site for the software. Has quite a few new features than the old editor. I just get to test it after John did all the integration It really is a completely separate editor to Code View, hence one of the reasons why syncing doesn't seem to be on the cards for the views.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote