Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
binky
Book Monkey
binky doesn't litterbinky doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Nice video =). I do notice with the media playback that the blacks get a little washed out for HD video. Not sure why that is. No problems with normal content.

If you find the volume on the tiny speakers to be a bit too weak, the latest firmware seems to increase the volume output from the speakers as well.
binky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
GrandmaVS
GrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro, Aluratek 7" Media Reader, Kobo Wifi, Playbook
Really enjoyed your video. I tried again to install the latest firmware on mine with the same result as last time - starting over and over again. While I had the v 1.15 installed, I did check the languages before I installed the previous firmware and found English, Chinese, German and a couple more listed. Again, good job on the video.
GrandmaVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
binky
Book Monkey

For firmware upgrades, a co-worker had the same constant reboot issue when trying from Windows 7 64-bit. He installed the firmware update application on a Windows XP 32-bit computer, and was able to update his firmware from there with no issues. Don't know if it'll work for anybody else, but might be worth a go.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #19
GrandmaVS
GrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enoughGrandmaVS will become famous soon enough

Thanks, binky. I decided to try the upgrade on my XP netbook, but it just locked up and wouldn't recognize my reader. When I disconnected it, the reader wouldn't boot at all - just a blank screen. As a last resort, I connected it to my Vista 32-bit computer again and it automatically started the firmware upgrade. I couldn't believe it - the firmware actually works now.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Meerkatgmail
Meerkatgmail began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Color
Good afternoon!
I just bought my Libre Color yesterday and already have had some fun with it.
My husband suggested that I update the firmware, and had exactly the same result as Grandma - the Libre is dead!

We've tried to contact the Help desk, via chat, email and phone, without any luck, what with a holiday in both Ontario and the USA, we are out of luck.

Does anybody perhaps have the file of the firmware GI 7.2.0 that I could try to re-install instead of the v.1.15 that I found on the Aluratek website?

Please? It could be uploaded on 4Shared or anywhere rather than sending by email if you are concerned about security. I just want my reader back!

Thanks for any help or advice. We are checking forums and Google to see if we can find help. We can also not find the reset button on the back of the reader, unless we are totally blind!

Meerkat
Meerkatgmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
Meerkatgmail

No worries --- my husband tried on several computers with different operating systems and the last time it told him the firmware was updating. He doesn't even know what he did differently, but my reader is back.

I did notify Aluratek's help desk, though.

Happy reading, all!
Meerkat
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
binky
Book Monkey

Merkatgmail, I've heard the same thing from a guy here at work and family members. It seems very particular, and usually trying a few different OSes gets it going. Doesn't seem to have much rhyme or reason to it, but I have an XP 32-bit machine with the update software on it and that's what I'm using currently for all flashes.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #23
Meerkatgmail

Thanks, Binky. I did contact Aluratek the week after and told them there should be (1) a copy of the older firmware on their site and (2) a warning that you might have to resort to the older firmware, etc. Really, their site is not very helpful and it was terrible not to be able to get hold of anyone, either on email, phone or live chat, to ask for help when I needed it!

But now it is working, and I'm quite happy. Seems the new firmware did something to help the sound be a bit louder. It is by no means very loud, but good enough for private enjoyment of a video.

Made a cover for it too -- looking for a place here on the forum to upload a picture.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
Meerkatgmail

Silly thing didn't take my edit, and didn't take the link either. Wonder if it would work now.
Here's the link of the picture on 4Shared, explaining a bit of the cover we made:
http://www.4shared.com/account/photo...t-Alurate.html
or then
LINK
if anyone wants to take a look. Not perfect, but it works, and I can take it out and slot it into something else at any time.
Meerkat
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Warning clicking on the link using the first link in the above post throws an Avast Antivirus Trojan warning and blocks the view of the file.

The second link "LINK" above gets you to the picture, but the site is one of those that
try to lock you in, which I find not only annoying but suspicious.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-01-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #26
binky
Book Monkey

That's a weird Avast warning Ken, I get nothing with Kaspersky. Oh well.

That's a nifty little cosy there meerkat, I don't believe you made that...you're either very creative / artsy or have a lot of free time on your hands (or maybe both). I could never be bothered with cases and whatnot, just one extra thing to get in my way, might explain why everything I own is dinged and scratched up all over. I might invest in a rubber/silicone case and screen protector at most for devices like a smart phone though.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I got a fake warning--one that clicking on even just to close results in malware that takes over your browser and won't let you do anything. You have to close your browser through the task manager to avoid it. I know this from sad past experience.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I looked at it with my Linux netbook. I suspect the banner ad at the top of the page. Some ad companies have (probably unwittingly) sold ads on legitimate websites to malware pushers -- this happened most famously to the New York Times. In my case the banner ad was for a legit computer service company. So, the malware may come and go.

Avast will "look ahead" to the ad sources -- that might explain it. I have Avast on my XP desktop computer.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
GrandmaVS

I installed the latest v2.11 firmware upgrade to my Libre color using my Vista 32 computer a few days ago and it went well. There are recovery instructions included in the pdf file in the event the upgrade doesn't work. I haven't really noticed anything new, but the reader is working pretty good now, other than the speaker volume.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #30
cdntinpusher
cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cdntinpusher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libre Color
Sleep settings & firmware updates

Hi,

Did anyone notice if any of the firmware updates fix the issue with the sleep setting always defaulting to 1 minute every time you turn it on, even if you've set it to 5 minutes?

Thanks
cdntinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote