Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #1
frafra
frafra began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx BOOX M92 (broken), Kobo Aura HD (stolen), Kobo Aura H2O 2nd ed.
Ereader compatibility with public libraries

Hi everybody!
time for a new ebook reader! I would like to have an ereader that does not require to use Adobe Digital Editions to manage DRM ebooks. I read that Tolino allows to download DRM ebooks from the web browser and manage them; is it cool as it sounds? What about Kobo, do they have the same functionality? I read that the Aura One has Overdrive, so I suppose it has a way to use DRM ebooks without using a PC.

Do you ever tried to download a DRM ebook directly from your ebook reader? Did it worked?

Thanks!
frafra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I can verify that my Tolino Page can download Overdrive ePubs via the browser and open them for reading. I can also return them at any time via a long press on the book cover. (This is something I can't do with my Sony PRS-T2, though I can download and read Overdrive books using only the T2.) You do have to set up the Tolino with your ADE credentials in the Accounts section. That said, it's probably not as "cool as it sounds," because using the eInk browser takes patience and is no treat. But I have now tested (and used) this feature several times as my computers run on Linux and its easier for me to bypass the indirect download method. Another writer who owns a Tolino Epos also verified that he uses (at least successfully tested) this feature.

I think the only Kobo that will allow direct downloading of Overdrive books is the Aura ONE you mentioned. I believe Kobo does this like Amazon does with the Kindle, you check out the book at Overdrive and it appears in your Kobo library. (I may not have the details exactly right, as I don't own Aura ONE.)

Good luck.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
frafra

Hi rcentros, thank you for your reply.

I do not live in the US, so I will not use Overdrive, but if you are able to download books from Overdrive using your Tolino via web browser, it should work with other website too (in my specific case, I am interested in MediaLibraryOnLine - MLOL). I use Linux too, so that would be a really nice feature :-)

I have seen a video of a Kobo Aura One downloading books from Overdrive: it does it using a special menu, without using the web browser. My guess is that it should be able to get DRM ebooks from websites too, but I would like to have confirmation, because this is not a publicized feature. Can anyone with an Aura One (or a regular Kobo) test this please?

Tolino looks great, but I would miss the integration with Pocket and now that the company which makes Kobo bought Tolino, I am a bit worried about the future of this platform.

Last edited by frafra; 07-09-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by frafra View Post
Hi rcentros, thank you for your reply.

I do not live in the US, so I will not use Overdrive, but if you are able to download books from Overdrive using your Tolino via web browser, it should work with other website too (in my specific case, I am interested in MediaLibrariOnLine - MLOL). I use Linux too, so that would be a really nice feature :-)

I have seen a video of a Kobo Aura One downloading books from Overdrive: it does it using a special menu, without using the web browser. My guess is that it should be able to get DRM ebooks from websites too, but I would like to have confirmation, because this is not a publicized feature. Can anyone with an Aura One (or a regular Kobo) test this please?

Tolino looks great, but I would miss the integration with Pocket and now that the company which makes Kobo bought Tolino, I am a bit worried about the future of this platform.
The Aura One will not do what you are looking for. When a person with an Aura One borrows a book from Overdrive, the book is downloaded in Kobo's proprietary format from the Kobo bookstore. If a library book isn't also available in the Kobo store, it can't be downloaded to the Aura One, even if it is available in Overdrive.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
frafra

Thank you shalym, so it looks like it is a special integration between Overdrive and Kobo, that has nothing to do with being able to read acsm file directly.

Another concern I have is that I just read there is a new encryption scheme from Adobe (shipped with Adobe Digital Editions 3) and I do not know if Tolino is or will be able to read new books using it, so I will have to use ADE no matter what in the future.

So, I can choose a Tolino (hoping to be able to read DRM ebooks from my public library in the future) or go with a Kobo (and try to install ADE in Linux and use it every time I want I book).

This DRM thing is quite complicated and painful.
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I do not live in the US, so I will not use Overdrive, but if you are able to download books from Overdrive using your Tolino via web browser, it should work with other website too (in my specific case, I am interested in MediaLibrariOnLine - MLOL). I use Linux too, so that would be a really nice feature :-)
As long as your library supplies the ebook using Adobe's Content Server, a Tolino is able to download the ebook. Basically, if you connect with a browser and the library offers an .acsm file as the download, it will work.

Quote:
The Aura One downloads the book from the Kobo store IF the Kobo store and the library have the same version (basically, check the ISBN). It will not download directly from the library using .acsm files.

Quote:
I have an Aura One and an epos. Basically, I find the epos software to have fewer features and lesser implementations of the features it does have. For instance, Kobo offers much better font size control and will remember the font you prefer when opening a new ebook, supports epub3 and epub3 fixed layout, has finer grained margin control, etc. OTOH, some Tolino features such as hold the power button to get a power off, restart or take screenshot menu are nice to have.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-07-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: acsM not acsN. Fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So, I can choose a Tolino (hoping to be able to read DRM ebooks from my public library in the future) or go with a Kobo (and try to install ADE in Linux and use it every time I want I book).
My personal solution is using VMWare's Workstation Player to run a Windows VM which runs ADE. Works surprising well if you throw enough CPU and RAM at it.

Quote:
This DRM thing is quite complicated and painful.
Very much agree on that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:42 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Ask your tech librarian. They can tell you what models and options they have. For my library, all the ebooks can be downloaded to computer and sideloaded onto any device that uses mobi or epub. Audiobooks, not so much.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
frafra

Thank you DNSB for sharing your experience and personal thoughts.

I think I will follow your advice; I think I'll buy Kobo Aura H20 (mainly due to Pocket - it could really help me reduce the time I will spend in front of my PC) and use ADE in a VM if wine fails

Every additional suggestion is welcome!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
frafra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Ask your tech librarian. They can tell you what models and options they have. For my library, all the ebooks can be downloaded to computer and sideloaded onto any device that uses mobi or epub. Audiobooks, not so much.
They use epub with DRM mostly and they suggest to use ADE with the old encryption scheme at the moment. Who knows what will happen in the future.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I need to try Pocket. A lot of people speak highly of it. As for Kobo changing the Tolino platform ... I don't know. Supposedly Kobo was going to stay out of Tolino countries and use the Tolino platform in those instead – but often what a company says when merging and what happens in reality aren't the same. I do know the latest Tolino software manual has a Rakuten Kobo copyright and it says that the Tolino device is designed and developed by Rakuten Kobo.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
frafra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I need to try Pocket. A lot of people speak highly of it.
It would be fine for me to use a different service to send articles to my ebook reader; it would be nice to just press a button on Firefox have the page on the ereader, without having to connect cables or do additional steps.

Quote:
As for Kobo changing the Tolino platform ... I don't know. Supposedly Kobo was going to stay out of Tolino countries and use the Tolino platform in those instead – but often what a company says when merging and what happens in reality aren't the same. I do know the latest Tolino software manual has a Rakuten Kobo copyright and it says that the Tolino device is designed and developed by Rakuten Kobo.
In Italy we have both Kobo (sold by Feltrinelli, Mondadori and some shops) and Tolino (sold by IBS/Libraccio), but Kobo is more popular and Tolino Epos is not available here (you can buy the German/Swiss version online).

I read that Tolino ereaders are a bit less robust than the Kobo ones and Kobo assistance/services have better reviews. It could be just because Italy is a marginal market for Tolino and they decide to focus on different countries, so they don't compete with Kobo as you said.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I read that Tolino ereaders are a bit less robust than the Kobo ones and Kobo assistance/services have better reviews. It could be just because Italy is a marginal market for Tolino and they decide to focus on different countries, so they don't compete with Kobo as you said.
If by "less robust" they mean simpler (with fewer features and less customization) that's true. For me, since my eyes have issues with front-lit eInk screens, the Tolino Page is the only eReader I have with an E-Carta screen. Even though it has a lower resolution then most E-Carta screens (800x600), it's still noticeably "whiter" than the Pearl (and earlier) screens on my other readers. That and the fact I can download ePubs directly from the library makes me happy with it. One thing, however, that I don't like is that it's supposed to allow custom fonts but loading them almost never works. So, yes, there are definite compromises with the Tolino.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #14
frafra

Quote:
For me, since my eyes have issues with front-lit eInk screens, the Tolino Page is the only eReader I have with an E-Carta screen. Even though it has a lower resolution then most E-Carta screens (800x600), it's still noticeably "whiter" than the Pearl (and earlier) screens on my other readers. That and the fact I can download ePubs directly from the library makes me happy with it.
That's interesting. Why do you think it has more contrast?
I just discovered that Tolino Vision HD4 uses the "Regal" technology to avoid ghosting too.

I could compensate the fact that it has no Pocket integration by generating epub from RSS with Calibre...
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The specifications of Carta is enough to show that it has more contrast. Compare E Ink Carta with E Ink Pearl. A table at E Ink display tells the tale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote