Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Kindle Unlimited w/ Narration

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Kindle Fire HDX
The Kindle Unlimited option has suddenly become a lot more interesting, if I am understanding this correctly.

For several years I did the 24 audiobooks a year deal from Audible, which cost something like $240. I retired three months ago and knew I wouldn't spend as much time in the car, where I do most of my listening, so I dropped to the 12 audiobooks a year plan, which costs $150 or effectively $12.50/month. So the Kindle unlimited option at $9.99/month would be cheaper. It sounds like they only have about 2,000 titles at the moment that have the audio option, but I am certain that will grow over time.

So do I have it straight? Can I drop my plan with Audible and go with Kindle unlimited instead?

Note: It seems like most of my reading these days is audiobooks. I read so few ebooks that it seems cheaper to buy individual books rather than get the unlimited plan. But if I can get both ebooks and audiobooks, then it might be worthwhile.

Duane
DuaneAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneAA View Post
So do I have it straight? Can I drop my plan with Audible and go with Kindle unlimited instead?

Note: It seems like most of my reading these days is audiobooks. I read so few ebooks that it seems cheaper to buy individual books rather than get the unlimited plan. But if I can get both ebooks and audiobooks, then it might be worthwhile.

Duane
You can, but understand that KU titles are quite different from the titles you'll find at Audible. KU is mostly indie stuff, whereas Audible is more mainstream. Also, Audible has over 150,000 titles compared to KU's meager 2,100 titles. Before deciding, have a look at the selection available in KU (link below) and see if it's something you'd enjoy.

Other factors to consider are other sources for inexpensive and free audiobooks - public libraries, Audible Daily Deals, Whispersync titles, etc. Also, Tantor is having a 1-day Labor Day Sale of their entire catalog (~2,700 titles) for $4.99 each.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
DuaneAA
Connoisseur
DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuaneAA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks,

My membership at Audible isn't up until next May, so I have time to see if KU adds a significant number of titles before I need to make any decision.

I recently moved from Fort Worth, Texas to a small town in Minnesota. The Fort Worth Library has a decent selection of audiobooks on cassette and CD. I started listening to audiobooks through them around 2001. By 2011 or so, I had listened to everything they had that was remotely to my tastes and that's when I discovered Audible.

I was just in my new local library today and for a small town, they have a surprisingly large selection of audiobooks on CD. However I have become spoiled by having audiobooks on my phone, which is a lot more convenient than on CD. I have never tried overdrive for audiobooks, but I probably should check to see if my new library has them. My biggest concern is now that I don't have a long commute, I don't consistently finish books within the normal 3-week loan period at the library.

Duane
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks,

I was just in my new local library today and for a small town, they have a surprisingly large selection of audiobooks on CD. However I have become spoiled by having audiobooks on my phone, which is a lot more convenient than on CD. I have never tried overdrive for audiobooks, but I probably should check to see if my new library has them. My biggest concern is now that I don't have a long commute, I don't consistently finish books within the normal 3-week loan period at the library.

Duane
YW - do try OverDrive if your library has it. These days, quite a few of them do. I use it all the time. It's easy to use - either on your PC or with the mobile app. If you decide to try it and need help, go to the Public Library Audiobooks thread.

You should also check to see if your library reciprocates with other libraries. If so, you can belong to more than one, giving you a wider selection and easier availability. I belong to a bunch and actively use 4-5 of them. What one doesn't have, another might. What's on a wait list at one might be available at another. Definitely worth checking into.

As to listening time, I frequently multitask while listening - doing chores, surfing the web, posting here, what have you.
Advert
Old 08-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Piepan
Connoisseur
Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piepan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere in the middle of MN
Device: Kindle Fire HD6, Kindle Fire HD (Gen1), KT (original), KK, iPhone
Quote:

I recently moved from Fort Worth, Texas to a small town in Minnesota. ...<snip>
I was just in my new local library today and for a small town, they have a surprisingly large selection of audiobooks on CD. However I have become spoiled by having audiobooks on my phone, which is a lot more convenient than on CD. I have never tried overdrive for audiobooks, but I probably should check to see if my new library has them. <cut>

Duane
Hi Duane, Welcome to the Land O' Lakes.

If your local library doesn't use Overdrive, it may use the 3MCloud service for ebooks and OneClickDigital for Audiobooks. Check the library website for a link to their "Downloads" or some other indicator of e-resources.
Piepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #7
DuaneAA
Connoisseur

My local library does have overdrive. They appear to be affiliated with many of the public libraries in southeastern MN (except the big one in Rochester). They have 8023 total ebooks of which 5009 are available at the moment. They have 1070 audiobooks of which 482 are available. To test it out on my phone, I borrowed the audiobook 'Pearl Harbor Christmas' by Stanley Weintraub, a non-fiction work covering world events during the period - Dec 21, 1941 through Jan 1, 1942.

Thanks,
Duane
Old 09-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Duane -- if you still have your library card from Fort Worth, it's probably worth looking at their web site to see if they have a larger (or simply different) selection of audio books. The beauty of online downloads is that you don't have to be physically in the library.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
When KU started, if you already owned a book that was listed as a KU w/narration, you were out of luck--you couldn't get the free narration. But that's apparently changed; I was just able to borrow a KU w/narration even though I own it, and the Audible version is now available in my Audible library.

This is great for a lot of previous freebies that are now listed as KU w/narration.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
When KU started, if you already owned a book that was listed as a KU w/narration, you were out of luck--you couldn't get the free narration. But that's apparently changed; I was just able to borrow a KU w/narration even though I own it, and the Audible version is now available in my Audible library.

This is great for a lot of previous freebies that are now listed as KU w/narration.
Good! I'm glad they finally changed. It was rather unfair to deny you the Audible version.