Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #15481
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
...Now on to the Douglas Preston thriller, "Blasphemy", the 2nd book in the "Wyman Ford" series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A very enjoyable thriller. The US has built the world's largest particle accelerator, to probe the secrets of the Big Bang. A Christian fundamentalism preacher starts a campaign against it, claiming that the research is blasphemy because it denies the existence of God. The book has a real "sting in the tail" which I didn't see coming at all. Recommended....
Sounds interesting. Do you have to read the first book first to fully appreciate it?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #15482
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Agincourt on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	agincourt.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	100357  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #15483
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Black Box by Michael Connelly. Great read!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #15484
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Be sure and let us know how you like it. I'm an old Cornwell fan
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #15485
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
HERESY! You should only read books in published order. You for one should know that.

BOb
If a series has been out long enough and has enough books, I do prefer chronological order. There are lots of people who do as well otherwise we'd not have so many reading order lists in chronological order.

Not always is Chonological order a good thing. But in the case of Shannara, chronological is just fine.

Anyway, the book I am reading is A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks.

Quote:
Eight centuries ago the first Knight of the Word was commissioned to combat the demonic evil of the Void. Now that daunting legacy has passed to John Ross--along with powerful magic and the knowledge that his actions are all that stand between a living hell and humanity's future. Then, after decades of service to the Word, an unspeakable act of violence shatters John Ross's weary faith. Haunted by guilt, he turns his back on his dread gift, settling down to build a normal life, untroubled by demons and nightmares. But a fallen Knight makes a tempting prize for the Void, which could bend the Knight's magic to its own evil ends. And once the demons on Ross's trail track him to Seattle, neither he nor anyone close to him will be safe. His only hope is Nest Freemark, a college student who wields an extraordinary magic all her own. Five years earlier, Ross had aided Nest when the future of humanity rested upon her choice between Word and Void.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-30-2013 at 07:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #15486
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is Shards of Honor by Lois McCaster Bujold. My first with this author also.
Enjoyed it but thought the "Aftermath" where the medtech retrieves the bodies contained the best writing and original thought. Rated C [3 stars].
Not sure if I'll continue with Barrayar. Does it have a lot of political wrangling? That would not interest me.

Currently reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. So far it's wonderful. A reminder that the English language can be beautifully written.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #15487
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Be sure and let us know how you like it. I'm an old Cornwell fan
This is one of my favorites. I have read it twice so far.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #15488
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But in the case of Shannara, chronological is just fine.
If you don't mind spoiling certain plot points of "later" novels, then yes, chronological is just fine. Otherwise, it's not fine at all. Never understood the chrono-obsessed myself. Flashbacks sequences within books must make them want to tear their hair out.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #15489
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If you don't mind spoiling certain plot points of "later" novels, then yes, chronological is just fine. Otherwise, it's not fine at all. Never understood the chrono-obsessed myself. Flashbacks sequences within books must make them want to tear their hair out.
But when the first three books published amounted to a big pile of steaming dog doo doo, I guess it doesn't hurt to find an excuse to read something that is better written.

I haven't read any of them by the way, but I know people who love the books that were written later but found those first three to be torture beyond words.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #15490
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Currently reading Cannery Row by John Steinbeck. So far it's wonderful. A reminder that the English language can be beautifully written.
I need constant reminders that I need to read that this year.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #15491
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This is one of my favorites. I have read it twice so far.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Apache
Now that I'm turning my Kindle Keyboard into my "loaner" device, looks like this is the first book I'm loading on there for my mum. She likes good historical fiction and I believe she has read Cornwell before - and I happen to own this book already.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #15492
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sounds interesting. Do you have to read the first book first to fully appreciate it?
No, not at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 AM   #15493
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
But when the first three books published amounted to a big pile of steaming dog doo doo, I guess it doesn't hurt to find an excuse to read something that is better written.

I haven't read any of them by the way, but I know people who love the books that were written later but found those first three to be torture beyond words.
I read Sword of Shannara, and it completely killed any interest I had in reading anything else he's written. And I was less critical back then.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #15494
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I read Sword of Shannara, and it completely killed any interest I had in reading anything else he's written. And I was less critical back then.
Once he'd got his LOTR clone (aka "The Sword of Shannara") out of his system, he became a much better writer. The other books are worth reading, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #15495
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just finishing a collection of Robert Frost's poems. He's one of my favorite poets, and I try to re-read his best works at least once a year.

EDIT: A blatant troll to ask people to vote in the poll I put up in the Lounge. I'd like to have at least 100 people voting to make the numbers mean something. No need to post, only vote which hand is your dominant. Left-handed or right handed. Thanks.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote