Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Please don't give harmful advice.
Sheeshhh.... Please note that SmartScreen blocking application installs has nothing to do with whether or not the software is harmful. It is reputation based so if enough people install the program overriding SmartScreen, you will no longer see the block message.

See Windows Defender SmartScreen for more information, perhaps paying special attention to the line: Checking downloaded files against a list of files that are well known and downloaded by many Windows users. If the file isn't on that list, SmartScreen shows a warning, advising caution.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
1. legitimate software should not try to sneak-install itself 2.smart protection should spot this..

a "defender" worthy of the name should say : the program you are installing ( CCleaner) is attempting to sneak -install another program ( avast) without asking for your permission...

it is actually harmful to install a 2nd Av - Avast- when you already have one running ( panda) as they can interfere with each other

so whatever corporate idiot thought it was a good idea not only to sneak install avast but to to that even though the target PC has working av already should be fired.
But, Piriform is Avast, and Avast is Piriform! See Avast Press |19 Jul 2017: Avast acquires Piriform, maker of CCleaner

Pretty sure there's an opt-out check box somewhere in the CCleaner Install, just like there is with Adobe Acrobat offer to install McAfee's AV.

MWB is pretty good at detecting Open Candy and similar sneaky install tricks, which is one of the reasons I use it alongside MS Defender.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-24-2018 at 07:04 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 AM   #18
sun_reads
sun_reads began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei S8-701w
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I also get that "block", but with an option to continue anyway. but maybe it takes a couple of extra clicks on " advanced" or " more info" to bring up that option. [ I am the administrator for my own PC - maybe that makes a difference]
There was no option to do "couple extra clicks". I'm also a local admin on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As usual, if you are using a corporate machine, them nasty IT folks are likely to have blocked your access.
Them nice system administrator was the person to tell me that an elevated command prompt would fix it.

To people advising others to turn off SmartScreen, I, at least, can't, because Enterprise group policy. However, if you are a local admin, the elevated command prompt will still work.
sun_reads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
Elenax
Elenax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Simply add calibre exe file in the exceptions list this way windows no longer hurdles the execution of program
Elenax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenax View Post
Simply add calibre exe file in the exceptions list this way windows no longer hurdles the execution of program
Unfortunately, the file that is being blocked is a .msi installer not an .exe executable. The MSI filename includes the version so it does not have a consistent file name and, as far as I know, SmartScreen does not have a filename whitelist.

Personally, I find needing to allow the install each time calibre is updated a bit annoying but not to the point that I am going to worry about it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote