Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2022, 01:25 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I know my use sounds silly--and it is, let's not kibitz about that--but I'm really tempted.

I mean, hell, apropos, amirite?

Hitch
For me it's end of the month time and when I have money left over it's either put it in my mutual fund or buy toys. I'm already retired so saving more money is boring.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-28-2022 at 01:36 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #17
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Walmart one and Amazon one look identical from the pictures. The Walmart one is on sale for $20 less than the Amazon one; $21.47 at Walmart. Google searches make me think that Xiaomi and Mijia are the same company.
Advert
Old 02-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
For me it's end of the month time and when I have money left over it's either put it in my mutual fund or buy toys. I'm already retired so saving more money is boring.
I feel ya.

Quote:
The Walmart one and Amazon one look identical from the pictures. The Walmart one is on sale for $20 less than the Amazon one; $21.47 at Walmart. Google searches make me think that Xiaomi and Mijia are the same company.

hmph, I am definitely gonna see if I can snag that.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:38 PM   #19
hobnail
Running with scissors

Walmart says it just shipped but then they're saying delivery by next Friday the 11th. USPS. If I remember I'll post my observations.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:22 AM   #20
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Hmm, I think that I'll pick up one of those little Walmart Xiaomi displays.
It is segmented (and not pixels) but it might be interesting to play with.

I used to use an old Nook NST (600 x 800) as a wall status display. I recently upgraded to my retired Nook Glow3 (1072 x 1448). Having a front light is a feature. I could use my recent Glow'21 but it has the same resolution anyway. It's all fed from a Raspberry Pi over USB using ADB TCP forwarding. (My reading implement remains a Onyx Poke3.)

V=volts, A=amperes, P=propane, F=fresh water. But the question remains, why am I up at 3 AM?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.png
Views:	165
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	192551  

Last edited by Renate; 03-03-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
hmph, I am definitely gonna see if I can snag that.

Hitch
Did you order it? I got mine from Walmart today.

The first thing that irritated me is that you need to install the Mi Home app on your phone in order to set its time. After I installed it from the google Play Store and started it from there it wasn't able to find it. On a whim I stopped the app and started it again and then it downloaded something and then it was able to find it and pair with it.

The second problem is that I don't see any way to switch it to AM/PM instead of 24 hours. For me that's not a problem since I've been using the 24 hour clock for decades but for the rest of my fellow Americans I suspect it will be a hindrance.

The text is big and sharp and very black.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:04 AM   #22
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
The first thing that irritated me...
Yeah, that's a too common problem. You find some cute, simple appliance and the company makes you register and install some piggo app and you have to use their cloud and blah, blah, blah.

Edit: I don't think they left space/electrodes for AM/PM.

Last edited by Renate; 03-10-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:53 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Did you order it? I got mine from Walmart today.

The first thing that irritated me is that you need to install the Mi Home app on your phone in order to set its time. After I installed it from the google Play Store and started it from there it wasn't able to find it. On a whim I stopped the app and started it again and then it downloaded something and then it was able to find it and pair with it.

The second problem is that I don't see any way to switch it to AM/PM instead of 24 hours. For me that's not a problem since I've been using the 24 hour clock for decades but for the rest of my fellow Americans I suspect it will be a hindrance.

The text is big and sharp and very black.

I haven't ordered anything yet. I am 99% of the way to ordering the Dory, just for my office door, to put something stoopid up there. Y'know. "Zee Boss." Or...IDK, some damned dumb thing. :-) It's me buying something I don't need, to indulge my inner kid and I try hard not to give in to her too often. But at the moment, she's winning the persuasion war (that brat).

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors

Yeah, get the Dory!
Old 03-17-2022, 12:21 PM   #25
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
I think I've just found a new use for an old e-reader.
the problem is that most ereaders go to sleep after a set amount of time. unless you have one that shows the current page when it goes to sleep, this is not possible (unless you can somehow mod it). the other thing is that the built-in battery will die if you don't remember to charge it. and as with all lithium ion batteries, you don't want to drain it completely.

with the dory, when the battery drains, you can just replace it with cheap coin cell batteries.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
the problem is that most ereaders go to sleep after a set amount of time. unless you have one that shows the current page when it goes to sleep, this is not possible (unless you can somehow mod it)…
If you fit a real switch in series with a battery wire the screen is frozen forever till it's reconnected. In theory.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:01 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you fit a real switch in series with a battery wire the screen is frozen forever till it's reconnected. In theory.
so the trick is to just cut the power without allowing the cpu to put it to sleep. this is brilliant. the battery is still likely to drain over time, however.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I hear ya. Putting the rest of my money in my coffin doesn't do me a lick of good when I cease to exist.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:03 PM   #29
hobnail
Running with scissors

Ok Hitch, feast your eyeballs on this one:

https://framelabs.eu/en/

With that you could change what it displays whenever you want. Have different backgrounds behind your name, "the boss is out", etc. 349 € so about $384 US greenbacks according to google.

I saw this in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=16

Last edited by hobnail; 03-28-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #30
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I love it but nowhere on the website did it indicate it is waterproof. I’d love to put random happy messages on there.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote