Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
markle
markle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Factory reset with jailbreak survives?

Device: Kpw4 (G000PP) running 5.13.5 firmware
Jailbreak method:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=455
Hotfix installed:
Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install

Wanted to reset my kindle because getting to screensaver would takes about 5 seconds. It always closes the backlight first and then takes about 2 sec to get to the screensavers.

I wonder if some of the modifications I made caused it, so I want to give it a fresh start. But I've upgraded my software and I want to keep my jailbreak.

Some instructions given there:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you know the version of the software you had the last time you installed the jailbreak/hotfix - and you are still on that version - then the jailbreak is still installed.

On paperwhite 5.7+ versions, you will not lose the jailbreak unless you do the reset followed by a software update. ( but reset does remove all the hotfix and SS and other hacks. )

You should be able to re-install the .bin version of the hotfix ( the nomax version from my snapshot thread ), and then continue installing all the other hacks you want to have.

The Key is stored in /etc which you cannot see over USB.
Q:
1.Following the instructions I've updated the hotfix after the software update, am I safe to factory reset my kindle?
2.If not, what should I do?
markle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:07 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
@coplate is correct

Factory reset: deletes hotfix (needed so jailbreak can survive firmware updates)

Installing/updating firmware: deletes jailbreak

Just don't do those things one after another if you want your JB to survive.

Remember to install hotfix asap after factory reset and then you can install all your add-ons.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 AM   #3
markle

THANK YOU!

I've reset my kindle and everything works great.
The jailbreak is still there.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Hi Markle,

can you give the steps which you followed for everyone's benefit.

Thanks.

Last edited by dnmmx; 01-18-2022 at 05:54 AM.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:17 AM   #5
markle

Sorry for such a late late reply.
Like @ilovejedd said, factory reset will remove all your hacks(including hotfix) but it will not remove the jailbreak. Software update will remove the jailbreak but with hotfix the jailbreak can survive.
So just Factory Reset and don’t update software(stay offline). And install hotfix right after you finished it.
That’s what I’ve done and the kindle and the jailbreak is alright.
Advert
Old 01-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Hi Markle,

Appreciate you taking time to reply this.
I hope someone will definitely be benefited with it.

Thanks.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote