Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
ereader for library?

I'm thinking about giving an ereader as a present. The receiver has no compUter, no WiFi, and tech adverse. She would most likely only be using It for her library. This is for the U.S.

I can train her, but I don't want to be constantly supporting her. I am going to ask her if she would actually use it.

Since she doesn't have a computer (Or phone or tablet), I think a Kindle is out.

So I'm down to a Kobo. So would she be able to use a Kobo without a secondary device. Can you do everything you need to do for library books (browse, hold, checkout) solely from a Kobo eink ereader? Is the UI and speed good. I could picture her sitting in the library or parking liot and using the librarie's WiFi.

I'm not looking for recs on size/model, just whether it would be easy to use.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Any of the current Kobos would work (though WiFi — somewhere — would be necessary). Technically a Kindle would also work, but that would require using the Kindle's browser to check out books which can be "painful" (but possible). Tolinos and PocketBook's would also work, since they have built-in ADE (but, like the Kindle, they would require using the device's browser). The PocketBook's browser stays logged in, so it's a little easier to use than the Tolino or Kindle.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-10-2021 at 05:09 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One problem is that she would need a valid email address as Overdrive sends out notifications when eBooks are ready to be borrowed. I don't know how good a Kobo is for dealing with email with the web browser and I don't know which free email service is the best one to use.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-10-2021 at 05:06 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One problem is that she would need a valid email address as Overdrive sends out notifications when eBooks are ready to be borrowed. I don't know how good a Kobo is for dealing with email with the web browser and I don't know which free email service is the best one to use.
That's a good point. She would need an email address to register the Kobo or Kindle and, with the Tolino or PocketBook, at the very least she would need an email address for the Adobe account. I'm pretty sure the library would require an email address also.

That said, if you borrow an "available" book from Overdrive, you wouldn't need an email address to get the "ready" announcement.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Kindle might be good because it can have cell service. But, if browsing Overdrive with the web browser is painful, then that's not good. Kobo would need WiFi. And then there is the email address that's needed. I don't know how well that would work with the web browser.

Is there some way to get her something to use like a tablet with cellular?

Maybe a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4in with a cell plan?
Advert
Old 04-10-2021, 10:48 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's a good point. She would need an email address to register the Kobo or Kindle and, with the Tolino or PocketBook, at the very least she would need an email address for the Adobe account. I'm pretty sure the library would require an email address also.
Can she not go to her local public library, use their computers to get a gmail address, and set up from there? Here the librarians will cheerfully help non-techy people with ereader set up and support. They run classes/workshops on it also.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:26 AM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
How would she borrow books on the device without WiFi? That's the minimum requirement if she doesn't have a computer to load books onto a device.
Kobos also usually need a computer to transfer books.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Without a computer or WiFi, the only option is to load books via SD card.
Readers with SD cards are available from Pocketbook and Likebook.
I do not see any other options.
But then you have to find someone who copies the books to the SD card.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
As my first post says, she could use wifi from the library or coffee shop.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
How would she borrow books on the device without WiFi? That's the minimum requirement if she doesn't have a computer to load books onto a device.
You can transfer eBooks you borrow from Overdrive via WiFi with a Kobo. They come from Kobo's server(s) in KePub.

But you do need WiFI and an email address. I don't know how good Kobo would do with handling email via the browser or which free email address would be best to get. Then without WiFi, you won't know when your eBooks are ready to borrow.

That's why I suggested a tablet that also has cell service to be able to do email& Overdrive. With Libby, you can also listen to audiobooks from Overdrive.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Any of the current Kobos would work (though WiFi — somewhere — would be necessary). Technically a Kindle would also work, but that would require using the Kindle's browser to check out books which can be "painful" (but possible). Tolinos and PocketBook's would also work, since they have built-in ADE (but, like the Kindle, they would require using the device's browser). The PocketBook's browser stays logged in, so it's a little easier to use than the Tolino or Kindle.
It can't be "painful" to use. From all the reports I've read, the browsers on Kobo and Kindle are painful to use, so I would eliminate their use.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Some phones can download to an SD card, or even transfer via USB to a Kindle or Kobo.
The Likebook Mars does work with my County Library via Borrowbox Android App. I also have real email that doesn't use the Web or Google's fake email client. K9-email android App is a true email client, IMAP or POP3. I've not tried Web Mail or the Library portal via the Mars Browser.
Also our libraries are all closed since December 2020. I made a new email address and emailed the library with my Address and Library card number from my tablet using K9. They sent me a PIN for Borrowbox for my library card number.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would do the initial setup, and create the email account and Kobo account. I would setup overdrive (they do have overdrive).
Old 04-11-2021, 06:58 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would do the initial setup, and create the email account and Kobo account. I would setup overdrive (they do have overdrive).
But how well would the Kobo browser do for email? And what about not having WiFi and not being able to get email notifications when books are ready? Does this mean she'd have to go to a WiFi hotspot every day?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
As my first post says, she could use the libraries wifi, or go sit somewhere and use someone else's wifi.