Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Hardtoll2122
Hardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Basic Lux 2
[Sony] Deleting Books in File Explorer

I recently have been having problems connecting my Sony PRS-300SC to Calibre even though it still shows up in File Explorer. I already know why the device can't be seen by Calibre and I'm trying to fix it but it doesn't look good. I'm trying to return the device but I need to delete the books I loaded onto the device before it broke in order to return it. Would it be possible to delete the books I loaded onto the device via Calibre through the computers file explorer?

Thank you for all of your input. Grasping at only a few straws left to fix this before the return window shuts completely.
Hardtoll2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
DEVICE yes.
Remember to delete the 2 files from Calibre in the root of the device;
metadata.calibre (the list of books found previously) and driveinfo.calibre (used to match calibre to the install)

Calibre (on the PC) no way, you will break the DB integrity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Hardtoll2122
Hardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enoughHardtoll2122 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
DEVICE yes.
Remember to delete the 2 files from Calibre in the root of the device;
metadata.calibre (the list of books found previously) and driveinfo.calibre (used to match calibre to the install)

Calibre (on the PC) no way, you will break the DB integrity
So you're saying I can permanently delete the books from the device using file explorer so they will not show up ever to anyone who starts it by the steps listed above aka like the reader was never used?
Old 02-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoll2122 View Post
So you're saying I can permanently delete the books from the device using file explorer so they will not show up ever to anyone who starts it by the steps listed above aka like the reader was never used?
Not proof against File recovery software, but who at the RMA desk is going to do that?
Normally folk do not use SCRUB FILESYSTEM software on Flash drives. If you are that worried: CRUSH / SHRED THE READER instead of return it.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You can probably just delete all the files from the visible partition when it is connected. The device should recognize this and trigger the setup process.

Even formatting it is probably safe. A lot of these devices are presenting a partition from the internal storage to the PC. Formatting that partition is just a bit harsher than deleting the files.

You should also look through the options on the device. There may be a way to factory reset the device or otherwise clear the book storage.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #6
Hardtoll2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not proof against File recovery software, but who at the RMA desk is going to do that?
Normally folk do not use SCRUB FILESYSTEM software on Flash drives. If you are that worried: CRUSH / SHRED THE READER instead of return it.
I just got regular books on the reader but I wanted to have it returned to the seller in its original book empty condition so they could resell it and I could get my money back. Thanks for the tips and instructions. I have some additional avenues to contemplate now.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoll2122 View Post
I just got regular books on the reader but I wanted to have it returned to the seller in its original book empty condition so they could resell it and I could get my money back. Thanks for the tips and instructions. I have some additional avenues to contemplate now.
Usually a 'Factory Reset' of un-register will wipe links to your account and content.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #8
Hardtoll2122

Thanks everyone for your help. Wasn't able to fix the problem after a second replacement battery. The thing is pretty bricked and the screen has also failed to function. I unfortunately bought a lemon that's now gonna be junked. Let this be a lesson to others out there looking to buy old tech items and the old electronics parts that are within them. Save your money for more technologically current products.

Last edited by Hardtoll2122; 03-10-2021 at 03:13 PM.