Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Saix_XIII
Saix_XIII began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Books With Missing Files

I have a large library and I noticed over time it would get slower and slower to transfer my library so I found the guide mentioning to use file name template. I did that and went a step further due to OCD and now when I choose the option "Books with Missing Files" it says everything is missing. Also, if I choose to read the book via CC and send it to Moon Reader it says the book is missing as well.

This is the template I am using. {first_author:%1.1s}/{first_author}/{series}/{title} - {authors} ({id})

Is there a limit to the number of folders CC will accept for knowing a book exists? In Calibre itself it still says the book is on my device though.

Thanks.
Saix_XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saix_XIII View Post
This is the template I am using. {first_author:%1.1s}/{first_author}/{series}/{title} - {authors} ({id})
The resulting file names could be too long for the device.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2021, 05:11 AM   #3
Saix_XIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The resulting file names could be too long for the device.
I suppose that would make sense, but the device can still open and read the books, and Moon Reader still adds them without a problem. The only difference is the "Books with Missing Files" in CC. Which isn't that big of a deal but would like figure out why it is happening.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suppose that would make sense, but the device can still open and read the books, and Moon Reader still adds them without a problem. The only difference is the "Books with Missing Files" in CC. Which isn't that big of a deal but would like figure out why it is happening.
CC calls up the reader app and transfers what with how many characters?
And if that is too short, then the passed file name can not be found.
Old 01-04-2021, 05:42 AM   #5
Saix_XIII

Quote:
CC calls up the reader app and transfers what with how many characters?
And if that is too short, then the passed file name can not be found.
Not sure I follow what you mean my apologies.

Using the template, I setup in CC, the books transfer fine, my reader apps scan the directories and find them no problem. CC shows them as there (unless I use books with missing files) and Calibre shows the books as on my device when I am connected to it via CC.

So everything works as normal EXCEPT "books with missing files" gives false positives and when I use CC to open the book it says the book is not found, but my reader opens it no problem.
Advert
Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 AM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
So everything works as normal EXCEPT "books with missing files" gives false positives and when I use CC to open the book it says the book is not found, but my reader opens it no problem.
CC must pass the file name to the called reader app.
And if this is too short due to the many folder names, then the Reader app cannot access this file - the name it was given does not exist.
It depends on the transfer of filenames

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-04-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
Saix_XIII

Quote:
CC must pass the file name to the called reader app.
And if this is too short due to the many folder names, then the Reader app cannot access this file - the name it was given does not exist.
But it does exist and the reader app can access the file....I said it opens the book without a problem, the only issue is CC says it doesn't exist.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
But it does exist and the reader app can access the file....I said it opens the book without a problem, the only issue is CC says it doesn't exist.
The book is opened from CC?
Old 01-04-2021, 06:49 AM   #9
Saix_XIII

Quote:
The book is opened from CC?
No, when CC tries to open it it says the file doesn't exist. But when I use Moonreader it opens no problem.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
No, when CC tries to open it it says the file doesn't exist. But when I use Moonreader it opens no problem.
There you see the problem.
The file name passed by CC to Moon Reader does not exist because it is too long (due to the many folder names in front).
Old 01-04-2021, 09:49 PM   #11
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Running into the same issue with Orion Viewer. I can open the books from the Orion interface, but not from the Calibre Companion one. Is there a fix?

P.S. Haven't had time to test these, but considering:

1. Switching the folder name from [sd card name]/Calibre Libraries to [sd card name]/Calibre,

2. Switching the default export path from [sd card name]/Calibre Libraries/#genre/title to [sd card name]/Calibre/title.

P.P.S. Turns out the reading app can only read in [device]/books or [sd card]/books, so I'm rebuilding the Calibre Companion library at [sd card]/books.

Last edited by MarjaE; 01-05-2021 at 02:59 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still getting a lot of these errors, is there a way to avoid them?
Old 02-03-2021, 03:03 AM   #13
MarjaE
Guru

If I could select a batch of books, and export them to another folder, that might work around the problem, but I don't know if there's a way to do that.

P.S. After re-specifying my library folder using the instructions from the previous thread, the books now flash white and return me to Calibre Companion.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3337575

Last edited by MarjaE; 02-03-2021 at 03:32 AM.